PDA

View Full Version : Semi truck rear tires

Vortex
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Was driving around today and ended up in traffic behind about 6 or 7 brandy new Peterbilt trucks (made in nearby Denton) and noticed that each rear wheelsets only had one big damn tire instead of two tires side by side. Have to say it looked kinda cool, like they were some sort of giant drag trucks. Im assuming this is new technology but something tells me those tires have got to be real expensive.

ImpalaSlayer
01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Was driving around today and ended up in traffic behind about 6 or 7 brandy new Peterbilt trucks (made in nearby Denton) and noticed that each rear wheelsets only had one big damn tire instead of two tires side by side. Have to say it looked kinda cool, like they were some sort of giant drag trucks. Im assuming this is new technology but something tells me those tires have got to be real expensive.

ive seen em for a few years now, definitely a mind fawk.

Blk Mamba
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Not new technology, trucking company's have been doing this for years, started out with dump trucks, they were called floatation tires, and aided in heavy mud. The lighter weight, adds to reduction in fuel used, gives better traction, and they are cheaper than the two tires they replace.

Blackened300a
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Its also the DOT making sure that you don't get away with a flat on the inside or outside tire. I've seen them mostly on trailers for some time.

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I've seen 'em, too. They look pretty cool, a lot neater than the traditional dual tractor tires. They're called "super singles." Here's what I found out about them.

Super single: A single, larger wheel, substituted for a tandem assembly [i.e. dualies]. The main benefit of a super single is a reduction in weight; combined with lower rolling resistance the super single promises better fuel economy. The disadvantage is the lack of tire redundancy from which tandem wheels benefit, as tire failure can disable the vehicle... [The super single is] becoming popular, initially among bulk cargo carriers and other weight-sensitive operators. With a growing desire to reduce greenhouse gas emissions the use of the super single tire is gaining popularity. The three advantages of this configuration are : (1) super singles reduce fuel consumption. Testing on an oval track (Canada 2009) showed 10% fuel savings when using super singles. The savings come from less energy wasted flexing tire side walls. Fewer tire side walls equates to less wasted energy; (2) the lighter tire weight allows a truck to be loaded with more freight; (3) the single wheel covers less of the brake unit, which allows faster cooling and reduces brake fade. \http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer_truck

Ms. Denmark
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
10% fuel savings is huge in the trucking industry where MPG's are measured in 10ths. Mr. Man

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
10% fuel savings is huge in the trucking industry where MPG's are measured in 10ths. Mr. Man

For sure, and from what I understand, weight reduction is around 180 lbs per wheel (360 lbs per axle or 720 lbs for the tractor), freeing up additional load capacity.

Granddaddy Marq
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
supersingles are lighter, more fuel efficient, unforgiving if you have a flat that's where you sit until somebody comes and fixes it. But most of all very dangerous if your empty on wet roads 0 traction. They're like a flat bottom boat. Can you say hydroplain. I can say it but I can't spell it.

Bigdogjim
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Gas trucks started using them first years ago. One less tire to have a problem with.