PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Etna

CBT
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01/13/italy.volcano/index.html

Back around '93 when I was in the Navy, me and a few other guys went on an excursion. We were sent to disbursing and weree told to hold out both hands. In one hand they put a stack of Amercian money, in the other hand was a mix of Italian, French, and Spanish. We ended up in Catania one day and went out for some authentic local food. It sucked, unless pizza with eggplant and goat cheese on it is your thing. Also, they never heard of ice so you got to wash it down with warm soda that sucked. We went walking around and found a soccer game. One of my buds said "Which side do we sit on, the side with the most people?" I said "No, the side with the locals, cause if a fight breaks out, the rest of the town will come running." The game sucked. That night we got rip roaring drunk and brought a bunch of booze back to the hotel we were staying in. The hotel sucked. I sprawled out around 1, woke up around 3 because I smelled smoke, and no one else was in the room. I step into the hallway and could hear the knuckleheads making racket from above. I find a stairwell to the roof and run up there and yell "What the **** are you guys burning?!" Someone one said "It's the volcano." I said "Volcano of what?" They said "Turn around and look up." It was Mt. Etna, glowing red in the darkness, smoke spreading across the sky. It was beautiful, it did not suck. The next night we had a party up there. Some cute gal in the hotel across the street thought we were looking at her (we were actually looking right over her top floor room at Mt. Etna) so with a little prodding we got her to do a strip show. It did not suck. Her boyfriend/husband/whoever caught her the next night. That sucked, but we were drunk, so it sucked in a hilarious way. I never went there again, and I'm glad of it, that place sucked, but watching an active volcano light up the horizon like the sunrise was pretty cool. Thanks for allowing me to ramble, sometimes I miss being active duty.

Kodimar
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Being active duty military can range from being the worst job on the planet to being one of the best jobs on the planet. It is amazing the places you end up visiting.

Egon Spengler
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
So did YOU erupt during the strip show under volcano light??

CBT
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
So did YOU erupt during the strip show under volcano light??

Loose lips sink ships ;)

dakslim
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01/13/italy.volcano/index.html

Back around '93 when I was in the Navy, me and a few other guys went on an excursion. We were sent to disbursing and weree told to hold out both hands. In one hand they put a stack of Amercian money, in the other hand was a mix of Italian, French, and Spanish. We ended up in Catania one day and went out for some authentic local food. It sucked, unless pizza with eggplant and goat cheese on it is your thing. Also, they never heard of ice so you got to wash it down with warm soda that sucked. We went walking around and found a soccer game. One of my buds said "Which side do we sit on, the side with the most people?" I said "No, the side with the locals, cause if a fight breaks out, the rest of the town will come running." The game sucked. That night we got rip roaring drunk and brought a bunch of booze back to the hotel we were staying in. The hotel sucked. I sprawled out around 1, woke up around 3 because I smelled smoke, and no one else was in the room. I step into the hallway and could hear the knuckleheads making racket from above. I find a stairwell to the roof and run up there and yell "What the **** are you guys burning?!" Someone one said "It's the volcano." I said "Volcano of what?" They said "Turn around and look up." It was Mt. Etna, glowing red in the darkness, smoke spreading across the sky. It was beautiful, it did not suck. The next night we had a party up there. Some cute gal in the hotel across the street thought we were looking at her (we were actually looking right over her top floor room at Mt. Etna) so with a little prodding we got her to do a strip show. It did not suck. Her boyfriend/husband/whoever caught her the next night. That sucked, but we were drunk, so it sucked in a hilarious way. I never went there again, and I'm glad of it, that place sucked, but watching an active volcano light up the horizon like the sunrise was pretty cool. Thanks for allowing me to ramble, sometimes I miss being active duty.

Now tell us how you really felt!:eek:

Bluerauder
01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
You should offer your services to Zagatt's or the Michelin Guide. I love to read your reviews of people, places, and things. You have a real knack for capturing the flavor and atmosphere.

Got any pics of the top room show? I can see pics of the Volcano in National Geographic. :rofl: