PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement Questions

jimlam56
01-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Got a rock chip on my DD Ranger the other day that turned quickly into a foot long crack. A bit of a blessing in disguise, as the glass was pretty sandblasted after 183K miles.
Here in FL insurance covers windshield replacement at no charge, but I've had a bad experience in the past with the mobile replacement guy scratching paint while removing the old one that eventually turned to rust under the weatherstripping.
Also I am wary of getting substandard glass as a replacement.
So I would appreciate any comments/suggestions for getting this done properly.
Even with all the miles, my Ranger is in excellent condition, I plan to keep it for many more years.
Thanks!

SID210SA
01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
I just had the windshield replace on the Marauder for a crack I have had for four years......with all the pitting that was on the old one it is now so clear its like not having anything there at all.....

Actually the body shop that had done some work to my cars and that I will be making a return visit to, to make my S55 Tail light treatment perminent reccomened a glass co to me saying that places like Safelite are subpar at best.....so bottome line is go to a shop you trust and get their reccomendation. I did and am very happy with my new glass.

Mike

dakslim
01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
I just had the windshield replace on the Marauder for a crack I have had for four years......with all the pitting that was on the old one it is now so clear its like not having anything there at all.....

Actually the body shop that had done some work to my cars and that I will be making a return visit to, to make my S55 Tail light treatment perminent reccomened a glass co to me saying that places like Safelite are subpar at best.....so bottome line is go to a shop you trust and get their reccomendation. I did and am very happy with my new glass.

Mike

That's my problem...pitting is really bad and in the sunlight it is hard to see clearly.

jimlam56
01-14-2011, 09:24 AM
That's my problem...pitting is really bad and in the sunlight it is hard to see clearly.

Unfortunately the insurance companies won't replace it because of pitting, that's why I'm looking at this as somewhat of a blessing in disguise.

dakslim
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Unfortunately the insurance companies won't replace it because of pitting, that's why I'm looking at this as somewhat of a blessing in disguise.

Yeah, I almost wish I could get a rock through the windshield or something...hmmm.;)

Mr. Man
01-14-2011, 09:27 AM
UI had Safelite do our Crown Vic years ago and no complaints. Probably depends a lot on the install guy. I found hovering around them makes them more careful though be it annoyed.

vegasmarauder
01-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Call Safelite and tell them you want an OEM Carlite Ford windshield. It may take a day for them to order it and it costs about $50-75 more (about $270.00 total). Looks exactly like the original and doesn't have any annoying waves from the cheaper windshields. If you regularly run 65+ MPH for any amount of time the glass will get frosted and need to be changed. Safelite does a very good job on the install. Insurance companies won't pay for the Carlite glass, although we were able to pay the difference to Safelite on the only one that was covered by insurance. Changing the windshield will make the car seem like brand new when driving it. You don't realize the amount of frost these things get if you drive them like you should be.....Legal disclaimer: This should not be construed to suggest or advocate the breaking of any traffic laws or regulations. This was intended for entertainment purposes only..wink...