PDA

View Full Version : My '93 Lightning was running like do-do

TFB
01-14-2011, 09:03 PM
But I fixed it!!!

This is the PCM for my '93 F-150 Lightning pickup that's been giving me fits trying to diagnose a whole list of problems(it refused to give any trouble codes)... Mostly it was extremely rich when cold(so bad it was fouling the spark plugs) and the transmission shifted very rough at times but at others it shifted so soft it almost was slipping... Anyway after verifying everything else in the system was OK, fuel pressure was in specs, etc, I finally gave in and pulled the 'puter, this is what I found...

http://members.cox.net/sono30/lightningputer1.jpg

This is after the replacement(new black cap with white stripe in upper right), for good measure I replaced all three electrolytic capacitors before I reinstalled it, runs & shifts just fine now...

http://members.cox.net/sono30/lightningputer2.jpg

justbob
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Wish I would have seen this about 6 1/2 years ago! My 94 Lariat would snap your freakin neck for about a week straight then go back to 100% normal shifts for another two months or so! Drove me NUTS trying to drive in rain or snow, you could NOT babystep it into gear whatsoever...

I figured something letting loose in trans cause she had 242,000 miles on the original 5.0 and trans? That truck ran better and stronger than most new comparables. Heck, I used that truck to pull my 27' cabin cruizer 45 minutes each way to lake michigan every month! 75 MPH on the highway straight as an arrow, with PLENTY of power left.

God I miss that truck. Thats what the Rauder replaced.

TFB
01-15-2011, 05:06 AM
Wish I would have seen this about 6 1/2 years ago!

Hey Bob, we're about a year too short, I've only owned the truck since Aug '05... ;)

Seriously though, it'd been fine up till the end of summer but as the weather got cooler it became more and more temperamental(failing capacitors don't like cold & I'd thought of warming the PCM with the heat gun but never did)... Started by slamming into reverse which would sometime stall the engine, just like you said, no way to ease it into gear...

martyo
01-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Good catch and neat fix.

Feels rewarding doesn't it?

ImpalaSlayer
01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
thats cool man, most would just throw a pcm at it. what the fix cost you? few bucks?

TFB
01-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Good catch and neat fix.

Feels rewarding doesn't it?

Yeah saving $180 always gives one that warm and fuzzy feeling... :)

thats cool man, most would just throw a pcm at it. what the fix cost you? few bucks?

Fix cost me zip, already had parts on hand(I did TV service for almost 40 years)... Well actually it cost $48 & change, my 20+ year old Weller soldering iron crapped out just after I finished, ordered a fresh one last night... Yeah I could have gone to Radio Shack and gotten one cheaper, that would last maybe a year if I'm lucky...

Since Ford PCMs aren't failure prone I wasn't about to accept the fact it was bad, using hindsight I should have popped that sucker open a couple months ago...