PDA

View Full Version : Government Out Of Control

SHERIFF
12-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Anybody so fed up with local, state and federal government that you could simply move to some deserted island and never miss civilization?

We had a BEST BUY store open in our city very recently. It was a welcome addition to our community as far as I am concerned.

Well, the citizens couldn't block the store by whining about "traffic" woes. Now they are whining about the parking lot lights have simply ruined our community. So BEST BUY has ordered new lights. As soon as the new lights are up, the citizens will come up with something else to whine about.

In the county that totally surrounds our city, the Board Of Supervisors have said NO to a new HOME DEPOT. We have a LOWE'S store which is doing quite well, but we cant have a HOME DEPOT. I am sure HOME DEPOT will sue the Board Of Supervisors, if it hasn't already been filed.

While I am on a roll, the county also fights tooth and nail every time a cell phone service provider applies for a new cell tower license. Our cell phone coverage sucks because of this.

It just seems that every branch and form of government lately has a "us vs them" attitude lately, and have to make everything a pissing contest. :mad2:

Dr Caleb
12-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Sounds like it's not your government doing this, it's the government responding to the people doing this. Which IIRC is what the government is supposed to do.

SHERIFF
12-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr Caleb
Sounds like it's not your government doing this, it's the government responding to the people doing this. Which IIRC is what the government is supposed to do.

In the instance of BEST BUY, you're probably right. But the cell towers and HOME DEPOT is the government acting stupid.

sailsmen
12-19-2003, 04:48 PM
When I hear the Federal politicians say there is not enough money and budgets are tight please keep in mind the following facts;

Total Federal Spending 1980 - $500 Billion
Defense Spending 1980 - $175 Billion or 35%
Non Defense Spending 1980 - $325 Billion or 65%

Total Federal Spending 2000 - $2,000 Billion
Defense Spending 2000 - $300 Billion or 15%
Non Defense Spending 2000 - $1,700 Billion or 85%.

2000 Defense Spending adjusted for inflation from 1980 decreased 15%.
2000 Non Defense Spending adjusted for inflation from 1980 increased 162% or a factor of 2.62.

2000 Federal Spending $7,500 for every single person in this country.
2000 Federal Spending 21 Cents out of every Dollar.
2000 Federal Spending the equivalent of annual sales of 37,000 Walmarts.

45% of Federal Income Tax Filers pay no Federal Income Tax, the 45% are the lower wage earners.
25% of Federal Income Tax Filers receive an "entitlement" payment from the Federal Government, the 25% are the lowest wage earners.

The top 15% of wage earners pay over 85% of the Federal Income Tax.

bigslim
12-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Sounds like you should move. Here the Metro Area of Detroit they put up stores like nothing. We all types of stores all over the place.

jimbrix
12-20-2003, 12:13 AM
So I guess it's not Federal after all... It might be a local issue..

Murader03
12-20-2003, 02:21 AM
Well, if we knew Sheriff's location, we'd know not to move there.

SHERIFF
12-20-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Murader03
Well, if we knew Sheriff's location, we'd know not to move there.

It's no secret. Charlottesville, Virginia, a city of 40,000 located within the boundaries of Albemarle County, Virginia.

paheff
12-20-2003, 06:11 AM
I wish we had your troubles here in Jacksonville, where it seems every developable piece of land is being built on. We used to boast that within 10 min. you could go from downtown to being in the country, but no more.(decent land for 5k an acre was common too) Personally, I'd rather drive a few more miles to Home Depot, than live next to one. Were it not for my job, I would leave this 1,000,000+ population "metro area" for somewhere with a few hundred thousand fewer people and maybe a couple less Home Depots. Don't get me wrong, I'm generally in favor of hands-off government (ESPECIALLY FEDERAL) but when it comes to community standards, your local government is supposed to be the voice of the majority. If it's not, take it to the polls.

sailsmen
12-20-2003, 06:49 AM
With 80% of the land in the USA untouched by man you should have no problem in finding a place that is not crowded.

deerejoe
12-20-2003, 04:30 PM
There are trade-offs to every location.
Politics (local) are as WE let them be.
Developers buy land that is FOR SALE.

It requires a LOT of INVOLVEMENT to maintain certain community standards.
When WE sit back and let "the other person" do it or WE do not even bother to VOTE...then things tend to go the way of those who do get involved.

I personally know people in their late 30s and early 40s who have NEVER voted...nor will they EVER get involved!!
Live around enough of THOSE TYPES and the minority interests will win every time!!

VOTE... and GET INVOLVED!!

woaface
12-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by sailsmen
With 80% of the land in the USA untouched by man you should have no problem in finding a place that is not crowded.

80%? Think about that, are you sure? I've read (Whistle Blower magazine) that about 40% of all land is government land (30federal/10local). I don't think the government should be under the assumption that if they give the land to the people, that we'll do all sorts of stupid stuff with it (burning it down or trashing it...). It's not the right for the gov-ment to assume what we'll do next and restrict us from doing what THEY think is right. (in large circumstances like land ownership, driving automobiles, wearing seatbelts...ect.) Remember, the government belongs to us (supposedly), not the people who are elected to departments and agencys by the people who we elect. Ya know? If people treat the land in ways that aren't acceptable (trashing it or burning it down) then charge them accordingly, but don't punish the rest of us by saying it's not ours. Ya know?

sailsmen
12-21-2003, 09:58 AM
I beleive the 80% statistic is correct. Just take a ride in your car for an hour outside the city or do a search on the internet for satillite photos of the USA at nite, the lites make up a small % of the area.

The statistic is not affected by who owns it, only wether or not it is being used by man for forestry, farming, ranching, residential development, mineral exploration, ect.

woaface
12-21-2003, 02:46 PM
I understood that....I'd settle for 50 or 60 %:D

gobbletwo
12-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Nice thread Sheriff. The following link may be helpfull in explaining what cost " Best Buy" a bundle..

http://www.darksky.org/

:)

woaface
12-21-2003, 05:28 PM
You know, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Define "untouched"....

sailsmen
12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
No visible evidence that man is now or has used the land.

I flew a small plane in the copilots seat from New Orleans to British Columbia, driven from N.O. to Rhode Is and driven from N.O. to the Upper Peninsula, sailed on a small sailboat from Maine to N.O.,beleive me 80% of land in the USA is untouched by man.

I

Bigdogjim
12-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Well just move to little Morrisville, Pa. :alone:
If it has nothing to do with baseball feilds then the boro will never approve it.... :mad:

rurumon
12-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by SHERIFF
It's no secret. Charlottesville, Virginia, a city of 40,000 located within the boundaries of Albemarle County, Virginia.

Thats quite funny. I was reading your original post and thought to myself "gee, his city sounds just like where i live..what with the cell phone null-zones and hour long rides down emmet st." then I saw that you live in charlottesville. Glad to see someone else suffers through it as well.

I have a question though, since the university accounts for 40% of the city population, doesnt traffic practically disappear four months out of the year?

I wouldnt know, I am a senior.

-ad

SHERIFF
12-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by rurumon
Thats quite funny. I was reading your original post and thought to myself "gee, his city sounds just like where i live..what with the cell phone null-zones and hour long rides down emmet st." then I saw that you live in charlottesville. Glad to see someone else suffers through it as well.

Yeah, and the solution to the traffic has been on the board for almost 25 years now. But to finally build the bypass would destroy all the fun of the city council members and the county board of supervicors fighting and arguing all the time. They live to get one up on each other.

Originally posted by rurumon
I have a question though, since the university accounts for 40% of the city population, doesnt traffic practically disappear four months out of the year?

2 1/2 months is more realistic, not four. :)

Any buildings associated with the Univerity of Virginia are considered to be "county property". Many students live and vote in the city though. Unlike years past, traffic is so bad now that you can't really miss the students once they do leave town. And while the twin bridges were closed (Locust Aveneue and Park Street), traffic was hell as you probably know!

paheff
12-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sailsmen

Well, when 10 years ago, you DID find a place that was not crowded and it BECOMES crowded, it is a little disheartening. I have nothing against development, only over development, or more accurately, mis-managed over development. The way I see it, is that if I wanted to live in a giant strip-mall, I would have started out in one. Anyone whose community wants to prevent " urban sprawl" is lucky because once a developer sets his sights on an area, he can offer far more for a particular parcel than any privated owner would and land that was not for sale becomes for sale at a high enough price and that effectively overcomes most owners objections but leves thier neighbors in a completely changed environment. Few people can afford enough land to insulate themselves from this, and must move or live with it.