PDA

View Full Version : good new parts for an old honda?

the fat bastid
12-19-2003, 03:29 PM
so where would i get parts for my 1983 honda accord? speificaly(sp) a pair of engine mounts and some body panels. there are alot of aftermarket companies for this but i've heard that thier stuff is junk. the body panels rust out twice as fast, etc, etc. so what company makes quality stuff or am i stuck paying honda close to $400 per panel?

RF Overlord
12-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Zod:

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but WHY?

If the car is just your winter beater, unless you can see the pavement through the floorboards, why spend that kind of money on it? Just change the oil once a year and make sure your brakes and tires are OK...

For just thrashing about in the snow and crap, it's perfect the way it is...

bigslim
12-19-2003, 10:36 PM
I'm with RF. Unless there is some sentimental value just drive it untill it quits. If it quits clean it out and leave it.

teamrope
12-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Or cut the top off and make a planter box out of it :D

the fat bastid
12-19-2003, 11:54 PM
i knew this was the response i'd get..i always do about this.

it just failed inspection for "excessive motion in shift(r to d)" and "sharp and poteinaly dangerous rust"...which is motor mount and fenders.

say i said in another thread most people think i'm insane for even liking the car but don't most people have an attachment to thier first car? wouldn't you guys want to keep your first car around if you could? and hey, technically it is a classic..heh.

bigslim
12-20-2003, 12:11 AM
My first car was a 71 LTD. I really would not want it. I would like to have my second car though. It was a 74 Chrysler Imperial. It first belong to my dad and it was the first car I had to pay for. It had a 440 in it as well as four wheel disk brakes. I remember I ran a Z28 down 8 mile and we were neck to neck at every light. It got totalled sitting in front of my house on an 80 degree day. I really miss that car. FAT, sometimes we have to say good-bye.

RF Overlord
12-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by the fat bastid
it just failed inspection for "excessive motion in shift(r to d)" and "sharp and poteinaly dangerous rust"...which is motor mount and fenders.

I can understand the part about rust, but "excessive motion in shift(r to d)"???!!! WTF?!! What kind of weird inspection rules you got down there in Jersey?

State of New Jersey Inspection Failures:

1. Excessive Squeak in Door Hinges
2. Mis-matched Paint on Hood
3. Excessive Motion in Shift
4. Excessively Baggy Pants on Driver
5. Radio on Wrong Station:
5a. Rap___
5b. Country___
5c. Western___
6. Inadequate Brightness of Dome Light
7. Ashtray Full
8. Funny Smell:
8a. Interior___
8b. Driver___
9. Dirty Tires
10. Horn Off- Key (Flat/Sharp)
11. Excessive Tailpipe Diameter (>3")
12. Bent Antenna
13. Too Much Chrome!
14. Fan Belt Looks Iffy

:lol:

TripleTransAm
12-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Holy cow... this is all reminding me of my first Honda Civic (the '84 4door that I rebuilt using a '84 hatchback donor car):

1. Excessive Squeak in Door Hinges
2. Mis-matched Paint on Hood
3. Excessive Motion in Shift
4. Excessively Baggy Pants on Driver
5. Radio on Wrong Station:
5a. Rap___
5b. Country___
5c. Western___
6. Inadequate Brightness of Dome Light
7. Ashtray Full
8. Funny Smell:
8a. Interior___
8b. Driver___
9. Dirty Tires
10. Horn Off- Key (Flat/Sharp)
11. Excessive Tailpipe Diameter (>3")
12. Bent Antenna
13. Too Much Chrome!
14. Fan Belt Looks Iffy

1. had it. All 4 doors. Passenger door eventually lost rod which allowed it to swing open completely to the front when opened.

2. Only in the last couple of years... the first 2 years, it was just burnt paint from the engine fire when the previous lady owner blew up the engine (never changed fluids in over 100000 miles).

3. Never got to see this... I swapped it from the semi-automatic to the 5-speed from the hatchback. Had to keep shift lever safety switch in 'Neutral' all the time... really freaked out my drunk buddies when I'd drive them home ("Hey man, this car is accelerating in Neutral!")

4. not on your life

5. AM FM radio, non stereo. Used to be stereo. Don't know what happened to that part of the circuitry...

6. dome light worked

7. dad borrowed car for a few months during one summer, since I drove my GTA exclusively for that summer (before I quit driving it in the rain). Smelled so bad of smoke, I bought one of those pine tree air freshners, but mistakenly took it completely out of the wrapper. WOW... the stench of chain-smoking pine trees, so thick the intensity would "move" around the car as it braked or sped up.

8. see 7.

9. 4 different brands of used tires... but that thing would STILL handle winter snow storms without ANY difficulty!!! Damned cars were well balanced (and why I bought another '85 Civic in 1998 for winter duty).

10. horn didn't work. Didn't care, neither did backup lights... (see 3)

11. exhaust system fell off from the resonator back (resonator is pretty much next to the engine, no cars on these cars until very late in the 80s, I think). Took transverse exhaust system from the hatchback and hacked it up to fit the 4 door configuration (longitudinal like the Marauder, but at a slight angle of maybe 20 degrees).

12. yes.

13. No chrome whatsoever. Only shiny stuff on the car was the 'Honda' emblem on the trunklid, which I mistakenly popped off when picking at it, while talking to a work colleague in Atlanta on a cell phone. Left a fist-sized hole right through the trunk lid, due to hidden rust.

14. no fan belt. But when water pump let go at 125000 miles, I replaced it with the spare unit I had from the hatchback donor car, and while I was at it, swapped out the timing belt for the spare donor one as well (100000 miles), even though the original one still looked alright.

Total cost of both cars: $500 Canadian.

Fast forward to summer 2003... and I'm *****ing at my dealer for a lousy seat squeak. :rolleyes:

jgc61sr2002
12-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Gavin - It's time to get another winter beater.:(