PDA

View Full Version : F150 Ecoboost Drive

mrjones
01-18-2011, 06:30 AM
A few weeks ago I was poking around on the internet and signed up for something. Ford was offering test drives of the new F150 with the Ecoboost engine, but they weren't regular, go to the dealer drives.

On Sunday, a guy brought a new F150 FX4 SC Ecoboost to my house, and my wife and I went for a test drive in it. As you can imagine, it was a very nice truck with heated seats, nav, sunroof, the whole nine yards. It had huge stickers all over it proclaiming the ecoboost engine and it's 420 lb/ft of torque.

I've driven an SHO with that engine in it, but I wasn't sure how well it was going to handle the big truck. It did VERY well. LOTS of power and plenty of torque down low. This thing has much torque, and it's much lower in the rpm range than the typical new V8.

I think Ford has a winner with this engine. The only thing I missed was the sound of the V8. This particular truck was EPA rated at 16 and 22. If the truck will really get that, that will be pretty impressive.

ctrlraven
01-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Just wait until the tuners get a hold of them.

RacerX
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
This is a cool read:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/what-the-inside-of-a-torture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html

a_d_a_m
01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
I've been following the EcoBoost torture test videos since they started airing late last year. I think Ford has a winner with this engine. Of course, there will still be skeptics who feel that the few issues they found during teardown are major enough to avoid the engine altogether.

Leadfoot281
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd hate to see what the repair bill will be for replacing a couple of turbos. That's my biggest concern with these motors.

I was working in a salvage yard shorty after Dodge started sticking v10's in trucks. One day a dang nice looking Dodge truck was hauled in. Apparently the v10 went south and the truck with barely 100,000 miles (and not a single door ding or speck of rust) was hauled in because the engine cost more to replace than the truck was worth.

I'm not a fan of disposable motors.

Blackened300a
01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Watch these videos about the torture tests they put a Ecoboost through and it will change your mind about this engine.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/?intcmp=fv-fv-a1b02c03d000616e07f11g01h07j11 k09m2n0p20101221

Ford did their homework and it wont be long before someone gets their hands on a wrecked Ecoboost F-150 and drops the engine in a mustang.

mrjones
01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
After driving it, I'm a fan of the engine. That engine and 6 speed auto would work great in a panther too.

GAMike
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
When I was selling Volvo's the big knock against em was their 5 cyl. engines vs. more traditional inline 6's V6's and V8's..... It was bs, because the Volvo 5 cyl. was very reliable motor, and with a Turbo, put up some decent power numbers. Ya could not tell a BMTroubleU or and AudiDudi driver that though. They would look their nose down at you all day long.

Nowadays we have evolved as a species. A byproduct of the need for better fuel economy. So has the Turbo industry.

What seems to matter most with the buying public is efficient power. If you can get there with fewer cylinders and a power adder, while improving fuel economy, then your product will sell. it used to be Turbo's would only be good for 120k miles. Those days are long gone. Now most are good for 200k. Times they are a changin:D

Mr. Man
01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Selling the Eco-boost to young people won't be Ford's issue. Convincing the older truck buyer to buy a non-V8 engine will be the trick.

kmastl
01-18-2011, 04:27 PM
If only the 5.0 came in an ecoboost version...

But those videos changed my mind about this motor.

babbage
01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Watch these videos about the torture tests they put a Ecoboost through and it will change your mind about this engine.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/?intcmp=fv-fv-a1b02c03d000616e07f11g01h07j11 k09m2n0p20101221

Ford did their homework and it wont be long before someone gets their hands on a wrecked Ecoboost F-150 and drops the engine in a mustang.

Amazing on the WOT trailer drag race up the hill vs chevy and dodge. I wonder if the Chevy an Dodge would have done better with lower ratios in the rear.

F150 has 3.73s - Dodge was 3.92, Chevy was 3.42 I think. I wonder too how it would have done against any passenger truck dodge and chevy had (diesels with 4.10 gears perhaps)

Forget the aluminator, I want an ecoboost for the Marauder... :)

SpartaPerformance
01-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Selling the Eco-boost to young people won't be Ford's issue. Convincing the older truck buyer to buy a non-V8 engine will be the trick.

I'm pretty sure when the old guys step on the gas and feel that low end stump pulling torque it may change their mind.

JUST 1BULLITT
01-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Hmmmm...pretty interesting stuff!! Videos are one thing; "seeing is believing" and for me, HEARING from you guys on here who actually DROVE it is what has me changing my feelings towards it -- we'll see and definitely a new engine worthy of watching! :beer:

Mr. Man
01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure when the old guys step on the gas and feel that low end stump pulling torque it may change their mind.
I don't know Tommy. Being one of those old guys I'd need some serious convincing. If I get a chance to dealer swap one I'll post my thoughts.

mrjones
01-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I'm one of those "old" guys who would probably have problems buying a "truck" with something other than a V8, but once you drive the thing, you never question the power again. I've got a hemi Durango with 3.92s, and the ecoboost is MUCH more powerful. The hemi makes good torque, but its torque peak is up near 4K. Check out the dyno graphs on the ecoboost website and look at how early the max torque comes in on that new engine.

I guess real truck drivers know that all the big trucks are powered by turbocharged 6 cylinder engines, although they're diesels.

I'd love to see an ecoboost Mustang, although I don't want the V8 to go away. Like someone posted above, and ecoboost 5.0 would be a bad mofo!

Vortex
01-19-2011, 08:23 AM
When they figure out how to make a 6 banger that will cruise down the highway at 75 mph at 1800-1900 rpms with the a/c blowing full blast Ill maybe become interested. Ive never really liked v6 motors (though I do appreciate a good inline 6 in some applications.)

BUCKWHEAT
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
When they figure out how to make a 6 banger that will cruise down the highway at 75 mph at 1800-1900 rpms with the a/c blowing full blast Ill maybe become interested. Ive never really liked v6 motors (though I do appreciate a good inline 6 in some applications.)

Hey Vortex, I have that drivetrain in the MK-S & it has plenty left from 80, not like the usual 6 cyl that can't beat the wind resistance. It's not the S/C MM, but it's plenty good for a beater & I do surprise a lot of Chevys. Go drive on, you might be surprised.
jb

CobraSVT657
01-20-2011, 05:51 AM
My friends at www.SVTPerformance.com did a fantastic write up on this engine. They came up to the Detroit auto show just to take pictures and talk to engineers about the public teardown of the engine that was in a torture test to say the least... Be sure to check it out.