PDA

View Full Version : Honda Fury

Cheeseheadbob
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this bike? I like my current Victory Kingpin 8-ball, but the lines on the Fury are really tempting me to sell the Victory. Any thoughts?

Mr. Man
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Looks pretty neat. I bet you can also remove those twin mufflers and replace them with an aftermarket fartcan:D

Egon Spengler
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I was actually looking at a Fury, but saw this bike and fell in love, so I bought it instead. I was looking at the Fury and Raider as well as this one...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs586.ash2/150817_10150125317497926_56293 2925_7793957_5856141_n.jpg

Cheeseheadbob
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
That would be the first mod I would do. I did it on the Kingpin. They have a swept pipe set up like this one I have on my bike. No fartcan here, Mr. Man.... Only a macho flatulation discharge device!:D
Looks pretty neat. I bet you can also remove those twin mufflers and replace them with an aftermarket fartcan:D

Egon Spengler
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
This is the one I was looking at with the matte black finish...
http://webmotorcyclenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/honda-Fury-black-metal.jpg

tbone
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I used to have a Honda VTX1300 S. I liked the bike, but I did not like the detailing on the engine. There wasn't any. No fancy fins or black paint anywhere on the engine. Same with the fury. I just think the bike looks very generic and lacks character. I used to sell Harleys for a living and have owned many bikes, so I think I have some credibility here. To each his own though.

tbone
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I like the Suzuki M109 alot!

Cheeseheadbob
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your input. I think one of the main reasons I like the Fury so much is the lack of detail. It is incredibly simple and the lines are unimpeded throughout the bike. I am a big fan of stripped down rat rods as well. Simple mind, simple pleasures...:D
I used to have a Honda VTX1300 S. I liked the bike, but I did not like the detailing on the engine. There wasn't any. No fancy fins or black paint anywhere on the engine. Same with the fury. I just think the bike looks very generic and lacks character. I used to sell Harleys for a living and have owned many bikes, so I think I have some credibility here. To each his own though.

tbone
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I hear you. Just take a close look at the engine and make sure you like it. It really bugged me on my bike. Once I noticed it, it's all I saw.

Egon Spengler
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I like the Suzuki M109 alot!
My bike is actually an M90. It has the 1500cc motor. The motor, rear tire, and the paneling are a little smaller than the M109. I heard the M109 was a bit too much power for the chassis which made handling something to be desired, so I went with the M90 and I love it! It is an awesome bike and I get tons of compliments everywhere I go with it! I get more compliments with this bike that I did my last bike and the marauder combined!

ImpalaSlayer
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
This is the one I was looking at with the matte black finish...
http://webmotorcyclenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/honda-Fury-black-metal.jpg

that looks sweet!

tbone
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
My bike is actually an M90. It has the 1500cc motor. The motor, rear tire, and the paneling are a little smaller than the M109. I heard the M109 was a bit too much power for the chassis which made handling something to be desired, so I went with the M90 and I love it! It is an awesome bike and I get tons of compliments everywhere I go with it! I get more compliments with this bike that I did my last bike and the marauder combined!

They look identical. I will probably get one as soon as finances allow.

Vortex
01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Why spend MSRP $12,999 for a fake Harley when you can find lightly used examples of the real thing like this for thousands less?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2165985376.html

(This bike here has probably only been used on Christmas toy runs and weenie roasts at the Hartley dealer and there are tons of em available.)

tbone
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Why spend MSRP $12,999 for a fake Harley when you can find lightly used examples of the real thing like this for thousands less?

(This bike here has probably only been used on Christmas toy runs and weenie roasts at the Hartley dealer and there are tons of em available.)

The Jap bikes go down in value even faster, so good deals on them are rampant as well.
Having sold Harleys for a while, I must say they have lost their appeal to me. It's all marketing b*ll***t. As long as you're on two wheels, you're cool in my book.

Vortex
01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
As a 40 year rider and having owned Harleys, Jap bikes and Brit bikes I agree whatever gets you in the wind is cool. My point was those type of Japanese bikes seem to try to emulate a Harley and for the same bucks you can get the real thing. Frankly I'd love a nice KZ-900, KZ-1000, H2 750, 750 Water Buffalo, CBX, Zephyr, ZRX 1100 or Hayabusa in the garage.

Leadfoot281
01-19-2011, 04:49 PM
As a 40 year rider and having owned Harleys, Jap bikes and Brit bikes I agree whatever gets you in the wind is cool. My point was those type of Japanese bikes seem to try to emulate a Harley and for the same bucks you can get the real thing. Frankly I'd love a nice KZ-900, KZ-1000, H2 750, 750 Water Buffalo, CBX, Zephyr, ZRX 1100 or Hayabusa in the garage.

Agreed. There is just something wrong with a Japanese knock-off of an American bike IMO.

Nice list BTW. I'd exclude the Hayabusa though and include a '84-85 RZ350 Kenny Roberts special.

tbone
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM

You would love my mint condition, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD with only 23,000 on the clock. I might even consider offers on it.

tbone
01-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Agreed. There is just something wrong with a Japanese knock-off of an American bike IMO.

Nice list BTW. I'd exclude the Hayabusa though and include a '84-85 RZ350 Kenny Roberts special.

My wife has a VStar 650 Silverado. Georgeous bike, impeccable quality, for only $7500 OUT THE DOOR, brand new. She adores it and we don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks about it or who made it.:beer:

1stMerc
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM

You forgot the Z1R 1000, and the Eliminator 900

Leadfoot281
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I love my '09 Suzuki DR650. Bought it new in June of '09 and now has 6,500 trouble free miles on it. Had there been anything even close to it built domestically, I would have bought that instead. My H-D owning friends even like it...a little.

So far 3 people have taken (and passed) their Motorcycle licence test on it. They couldn't pass the road test on their hogs. One guy failed his test 4 times before asking to ride my "rice burner".

I think my next bike may be an old shovel head chop or a vintage Japanese 2 stroke street bike. I like everything. I won't buy another new bike because there are just too many really cool old bikes out there, many at unbelievable prices.

It just makes more sense to buy a used 22k HD for 10k, than buy a new bike (regardless of manufacture) for 11k. "New" goes away pretty quick and you're left with "used/one owner" before you even get home.

Leadfoot281
01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
My wife has a VStar 650 Silverado. Georgeous bike, impeccable quality, for only $7500 OUT THE DOOR, brand new. She adores it and we don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks about it or who made it.:beer:

The guys at my local Suzuki dealership claim that the H-D store across the street from them is their biggest salesman. According to the salesman "People walk in here and see the $9,990 price tag and ask if it's used".

New cycles are just too dang expensive anyway. I paid $5.25/lb for the Marauder. A new H-D can be as high as $35/lb. My DR650 set me back $16/lb. It's a funny way of looking at things but it does put it in perspective.

Odinson
01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
It's all marketing b*ll***t. As long as you're on two wheels, you're cool in my book.

Comparing riders based on their bike is like comparing Houdini, Evil Kenevil and The Fonz. It takes Terminator like fortitude to to scoot with the rusty cages and mean it.....

...but Victories are still better bikes. ;p

:banana::lol:

mrjones
01-20-2011, 06:28 AM
If you're comfortable with the riding position, I bet it would be a great bike. I've got an 05 VTX1800F, and have had many Hondas over the years. The VTX is a great bike, and all of my Hondas have been. The Fury was the first of the 1300s to get FI. It is certainly a cool looking bike. When the Fury came out, Honda intended it to be sort of a niche bike, and it ended up being their biggest selling cruiser.

Egon Spengler
01-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Harleys are garbage and unreliable... end of story... moving on...

1stMerc
01-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Harleys are garbage and unreliable... end of story... moving on...

Depends on how handy you are.
Harleys are easier to rebuild.

Cheeseheadbob
01-20-2011, 07:19 AM
I appreciate your allegiance to Harley, and if they built a bike even remotely as stylish and reliable as some of the other offerings out there, domestic or metric, I would probably give it a fair shake. But all I see from HD is the same old rehashing of a couple of models. They take advantage of the "aura" surrounding the brand and do little, if nothing, to create any excitement. I was seriously interested in a Fat Bob, but when I rode it, I was underwhelmed. Especially after the sales manager worked the deal and gave me a "great" price of $17,250 out the door. That was after I told him I would not be financing the bike and I would stroke a check on the spot if I decided to buy it. There is a reason why HD sales were down 18% last year. They are no longer an innovator in bike design nor are they listening to what the consumer is demanding. I am not bashing HD, I am just giving my opinion from a consumer's point of view.

The idea that I am interested in buying a "fake" Harley Davidson motorcycle and all of the other cruisers or semi-chopper type bikes are not the "real" thing, is quite parochial.

Egon Spengler
01-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Harley shows no sign of trying to improve on something. My buddy's v-twin Harley and my v-twin suzuki have almost the same cc's and we can scoot along right along with eachother with me pulling on him actually. Plus on hot days, his bike sounds like holy hell.Things knocking and clanking among other issues. When asking what those sounds are, the response is "that is common". Well that would worry the hell outta me driving down the road. I get on my Suzuki and ride it care free. I like to step outside of the box and drive something different than everyone else. You go to these charity rides and all you see is Harleys and people dressed in Harley garb that they overpaid for and it just isn't me. My bike gets a ton of compliments everywhere I go... including from Harley riders!

1stMerc
01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
It is all a state of mine. Just like some will never stray outside of buying a non- American car, no matter what, same goes with Harley no matter what.

babbage
01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I'd Get this.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/092306_650_top.jpg

Hadamustang1
01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I appreciate your allegiance to Harley, and if they built a bike even remotely as stylish and reliable as some of the other offerings out there, domestic or metric, I would probably give it a fair shake. But all I see from HD is the same old rehashing of a couple of models. They take advantage of the "aura" surrounding the brand and do little, if nothing, to create any excitement. I was seriously interested in a Fat Bob, but when I rode it, I was underwhelmed. Especially after the sales manager worked the deal and gave me a "great" price of $17,250 out the door. That was after I told him I would not be financing the bike and I would stroke a check on the spot if I decided to buy it. There is a reason why HD sales were down 18% last year. They are no longer an innovator in bike design nor are they listening to what the consumer is demanding. I am not bashing HD, I am just giving my opinion from a consumer's point of view.

The idea that I am interested in buying a "fake" Harley Davidson motorcycle and all of the other cruisers or semi-chopper type bikes are not the "real" thing, is quite parochial.

As a victory owner my self..I beg you Bob.. don't sell that beautiful american made bike for a fn fonda.. Really get a grip.. If you want something different.. They are unveiling a brand new model in NYC today.. Its a Bobber.. Perfect for BoB..

Vortex
01-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Harley shows no sign of trying to improve on something. My buddy's v-twin Harley and my v-twin suzuki have almost the same cc's and we can scoot along right along with eachother with me pulling on him actually. Plus on hot days, his bike sounds like holy hell.Things knocking and clanking among other issues. When asking what those sounds are, the response is "that is common". Well that would worry the hell outta me driving down the road. I get on my Suzuki and ride it care free. I like to step outside of the box and drive something different than everyone else. You go to these charity rides and all you see is Harleys and people dressed in Harley garb that they overpaid for and it just isn't me. My bike gets a ton of compliments everywhere I go... including from Harley riders!

Each to their own for certain. Some guys back in the day liked the Allisons/Packards/Merlins; other guys preferred the Pratt&Whitney 4360 Wasp. As for the garb, Ive noticed two extremes; "Pirate" or "Power Ranger". Im just a blue jeans t shirt guy.

Vortex
01-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd Get this.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/092306_650_top.jpg

I like these types of bikes, kinda like a KTM!

Egon Spengler
01-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Definitely to each their own. If Harley's were more reliable and more reasonably priced, I would love to own one, but for price and reliability, I am on my second Suzuki. I rode my friend's street glide and I just didn't like it at all. The radio was the only thing I liked about it. Shake, rattle, and roll isn't a good thing in today's motorcycles.

tbone
01-20-2011, 10:11 AM
When I park my KZ1100 in a line of Harleys, I catch them looking at it with interest, but they try not to look too much. They don't want to appear to admire a Jap bike.
Pretty funny.

As far as the quality, Harleys are well made bikes nowadays. The engine design is antiquated, but they do well for what they are. So don't bash the Harleys.

Vortex
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Harleys are different and an acquired taste, thats true. Expensive too. Regarding reliability though Ive had four big twins and never had anything really go south on the drivelines to date. Clutches sure but thats about it. No leaks or other stuff, maybe Im just lucky. Im sure those Japanese "cruiser" bikes are fine, I see them all the time, I just dont like the styling. I wish Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki would just make a nice "standard" bike like they used to make. Honda has a nice CB1100F but they dont sell it in the US for some reason.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12 7518

Vortex
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Come to think of it Id trade my Harley straight up for a brand new 1975 Z1B:

http://www.kawasakiz1.com/images/Z1B%20blue%20front%20right.jpg

Leadfoot281
01-20-2011, 04:10 PM
My first bike. '09 Suzuki DR650.

Can't ride the thing past a school playground without at least a few kids motioning to me to ride a wheelie. You don't have to go 160mph to have a ton of fun. ;)

Road construction detours? What's that? Lol! It doesn't have any issues with going through 1' deep creeks either. It'll dust my friends H-D's too.

Also why can't H-D or Polaris make something like this? Seriously! We're talking one cylinder, air cooled, carb'd, and chain drive. What could be so dang difficult?

tbone
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Can't ride the thing past a school playground without at least a few kids motioning to me to ride a wheelie. You don't have to go 160mph to have a ton of fun. ;)

Road construction detours? What's that? Lol! It doesn't have any issues with going through 1' deep creeks either. It'll dust my friends H-D's too.

Also why can't H-D or Polaris make something like this? Seriously! We're talking one cylinder, air cooled, carb'd, and chain drive. What could be so dang difficult?

Not worth it when the Japs have that niche sewn up.

Egon Spengler
01-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Now you're talking! Love the older bikes...

Come to think of it Id trade my Harley straight up for a brand new 1975 Z1B:

http://www.kawasakiz1.com/images/Z1B%20blue%20front%20right.jpg

Vortex
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Harley does (or did) make the MT-500 for the military!

http://www.mathewscollection.com/motorcycles/Motorcycle_HD_MT500.htm