PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

namllitsdad
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Facts:

I am the original owner of a 2004 MM, drove it home from the lot with 34 miles on the odom in 2004.

1.) Well maintained / all service records etc...etc..
2.) Engine "blew" at 115K ( issue well documented in Shop Forum )
3.) My Ford dealership will replace engine with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty (OEM factory rebuild ) out the door for just under 6K
4.) Car is paid for
5.) Have done extensive research on salvage engines / other rebuilds etc. and although paying a premium, am coming very close ( including hassle etc ) to the 6K bill the Dealership is quoting.
6.) Based on my research to get the "Aluminator" or other crate engine installed it will carry me past 6K ( to have it done "right"...)
7.) Other than the engine, the car is in great shape...well maintained and "babied"....Although my DD, had intended to retire her at 150K and it be my weekend "toy"....

With Marauders going for anywhere from 8K to 20K ( asking price ) it would seem to be a "no brainer"...and I should go ahead and pay the Dealership and short of the tranny etc., have a "brand new car"....

Thoughts?.....

( Thanks in advance for your legitimate feedback / observations / opinions )....

MOTOWN
01-19-2011, 10:53 PM
get an alluminator!, you wont be sorry

no way i would give away 6k for a stock engine

MercNasty
01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
There are members here selling motors for 2500 to 3500. Hopefully some of them will chime in. For 6k u can get a motor and eaton swap s/c kit

Mr. Man
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Personally if you can't fix the original motor your car will not be a numbers matching car any longer. I'd go with a Cobra Terminator engine. It'll take a lot of HP and it's just an all round stronger engine even if you just go with the basic package.

visionmercury
01-19-2011, 11:56 PM
i would go aluminator to for the money or terminator motor

dohc324ci
01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Aluminator NA and SC of choice and 500+rwhp what's not to like about that?

F8LBITEva
01-20-2011, 04:43 AM
If I was going to spend $6k it would definitely be an upgraded engine.

Davesvt2000
01-20-2011, 05:56 AM
if i was going to spend $6k it would definitely be an upgraded engine.

+ 1 ..........

sailsmen
01-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Out the door I assume includes tax, labor and a warranty, hopefully a Ford warranty. Unless you plan on over 450RWHP on a DynoJet I would proceed with the Ford OEM rebuild.

There have been so many reports on faulty engine rebuilds/repairs by so many different vendors that do not offer a warranty, most of whom cannot match a Ford OEM rebuild.

1 Bad Merc
01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
If you plan on doing any performance upgrades and eventually s/c'ing your car I would go with the Aluminator. You will then have a very solid base to work with and wont have to worry about blowing it up. If you are not planning on increasing the car's performance then I would go with the Ford OEM replacement. It all depends upon what you are planning to do with the car.

SC Cheesehead
01-20-2011, 09:03 AM
If you plan on doing any performance upgrades and eventually s/c'ing your car I would go with the Aluminator. You will then have a very solid base to work with and wont have to worry about blowing it up. If you are not planning on increasing the car's performance then I would go with the Ford OEM replacement. It all depends upon what you are planning to do with the car.

^^^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^^

J D
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
If I was going to spend $6k it would definitely be an upgraded engine.

+ 1 ..........

+2

Indeed, if you can afford it, since it's no longer a matching numbers car, I'd upgrade and go for the aluminator to have an awesome weekend toy.

Oh, and I'd make one of those awesome engine block tables out of the original engine if I could!

Dragcity
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Take your car and $5,000 to Lidio in Michigan and see what he can put together for you........ He has resources, knowledge and experience.

That is what I would do.

burt ragio
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
If you love the car install a aluminator. You couldn't buy a decent car for the cost of a new motor. Other than the need for a motor you know the condition of the car. You did say you had it since new. You did say it is paided off. So even if all you had to do is finace a motor it is still cheaper than a new car. If you look at it this way it is a no brainer.