PDA

View Full Version : Nascar 2011

Vortex
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I see they are streaming the test session on Speedtv. Biggest change for me this year is that Trevor Bayne (a rookie Roush driver) will be driving my Wood Bros 21 car now. It looks like the Wood Bros have transformed into a full satellite Roush team with both cars and engines from Roush this year (instead of just engines; like the deal Gibbs does with Tony Stewart.) Of course Id love to see them do their own cars but this is a business decision and it beats having to close the doors completely. Elliott remains my favorite current driver although he is now going to the 09 Phoenix Racing car (that uses Hendricks equipment.) Elliott driving a Chevy is even worse than when he drove a Dodge! Argghhh! The new front end looks better with the splitter gone this year too. On with the show!

jeffrt
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Go Mark Martin! I see he's 3rd fastest on the board right now.
Hopefully this year is more like his first year at Hendrick.

Joe Walsh
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
NASCAR = :sleepy:..........:sleepy:.... .......:sleepy:

If they ever bring back "cars" that are identifiable by shape instead of these B.S. CoTs....
I might watch another IROC....errr......I mean NASCAR race.

I miss the Bill Elliot Ford Thunderbird, Harry Gant Buick Regal, Rusty Wallace Pontiac Grand Prix, Dale Earnhardt Chevy Monte Carlo.....:(

Vortex
01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I miss the days they raced "real" cars too but those days are gone. We forget just how dangerous those cars were compared to the cars nowdays. They were hitting 200 mph plus back in 1970, they would be going 300 today if things hadnt changed. I do wish there was a separate series that combined Trans Am and those other assorted series to make a road course series with more production car bodies like the Australian Supercar series.

SID210SA
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Mustang will be running in Nascar?

a_d_a_m
01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm pulling for the RPM teams.

Mr. Man
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Mustang will be running in Nascar?
They already are racing the 'Stang in the Nationwide series. Dodge is using the Challenger and Chevy is still using the MC for now and Yota uses the Camry

SC Cheesehead
01-20-2011, 11:25 AM

If they ever bring back "cars" that are identifiable by shape instead of these B.S. CoTs....

I miss the Bill Elliot Ford Thunderbird, Harry Gant Buick Regal, Rusty Wallace Pontiac Grand Prix, Dale Earnhardt Chevy Monte Carlo.....:(

^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^

Gone like a freight-train, gone like yesterday
Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang
Gone like a '59 Cadillac
Like all the good things that ain't never coming back...

Gone - Montgomery Gentry

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.joeweatherly.com/NEW/JoeW_1964_NASCAR_riverside.jpg&sa=X&ei=3X04TbzDCYHdgQfmt6WeCA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFPvAqmpFCERikwPKCCE0 Cw3nM_cA

Blk Mamba
01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Why would Gibbs, (Toyota) be supplying Stewart, (Chevrolet) with engines?

Quote: like the deal Gibbs does with Tony Stewart

SID210SA
01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
They already are racing the 'Stang in the Nationwide series. Dodge is using the Challenger and Chevy is still using the MC for now and Yota uses thew Camry

No wonder....I dont watch that series....guess I will have to start watching that one....

CBT
01-20-2011, 12:09 PM
When they go back to using 100% 2 door cars, I may take it seriously again. The last few years, I'll watch an occasional race like Talladega or Daytona 500, but that's about it and only for the epic wrecks. A Camry? Gimme a break. 2 out of my 3 cars eat Camrys and **** Civics on the regular. Put cars out there like Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, something fairly fast from the factory.

1stMerc
01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
When they go back to using 100% 2 door cars, I may take it seriously again. The last few years, I'll watch an occasional race like Talladega or Daytona 500, but that's about it and only for the epic wrecks. A Camry? Gimme a break. 2 out of my 3 cars eat Camrys and **** Civics on the regular. Put cars out there like Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, something fairly fast from the factory.

You mean Camaro. Corvettes have they're own venue. Plus, they're not part of the perverbial "race on Sunday sale on Monday". Hopefully Chevy will get they'e act together and make it the Nascar Pony Car Wars.

CNGInterceptor
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I haven't watched a full race since Ricky Rudd retired. Between the boring COT and the way drivers and sponsors shuffle, it's definately not how it was!

Loco1234
01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh course I haven't really watched since my favorite drivere died.
Alan Kulwicki

For those of you whom don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_lap

SC Cheesehead
01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Oh course I haven't really watched since my favorite drivere died.
Alan Kulwicki

For those of you whom don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_lap

The Polish Prince was my guy up until his death.

I watched him come up through the Late Model ranks at tracks in Wisconsin. The guy was a born race car driver, and smart to boot; he had an ME degree from UW-Milwaukee, and IIRC was one of the first guys to really apply defined engineering principles to race car technology.

Between that and having Hooters for a sponsor; well, you gotta love a guy like that.

Bluerauder
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I haven't watched a full race since Ricky Rudd retired. Between the boring COT and the way drivers and sponsors shuffle, it's definately not how it was!

I was quite heavy into NASCAR between 1996 and 2006. It was a focal point of bonding with my youngest son between the ages of 13 and about 23. Our favorite driver was Dale Jarrett in the #88 Ford. We went to some races, watched on TV, and started to hit the car shows. He started bugging me to get a Marauder back in 2002.

After Jarrett's #88 went to UPS, my interest started to wane. After he retired, it just didn't seem the same. Many of the older drivers like Rusty Wallace, Bill Elliot, Ricky Rudd, etc were gone. New drivers seemed to show up weekly and like said above ^^^^^ the sponsors seemed to shift around on a frequent basis. I just couldn't keep up anymore. Couldn't find MY car on the track with all the color changes and driver shifts.

I understand the concern about the Car of Tomorrow (CoT) and that they are not really stock cars anymore. However, I have a H3LL of alot of respect for ANY guy/gal in ANY car that can enter a racetrack turn at over 190 MPH and do it 2-3 wide running in tight groups head-to-tail.

a_d_a_m
01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
^sounds like my dad and me, except our NASCAR connection goes back to the late 80s with Harry Gant, Davey Allison (my favorite), Kulwicki, and Ricky Rudd. After losing both Davey and Alan in such a short time, I stopped watching.

When I came back around '94, DJ was driving the #28 so I picked DJ as my driver. I also got into Ernie Irvan when he was driving the #88 Havoline car (anyone remember that one?) for that short time. DJ went to the QC88 car and won the '99 Cup, Ernie retired after another wreck, I kept following Rudd and stuff like that.

When DJ switched to UPS, I became connected with some folks who were on the DJ messageboard and they had an "in" with the fan club prez. So I met DJ a handful of times, and even had my yellow ZX3 (haha!) autographed by him, Elliott Sadler, and Robert Yates. The pictures are large so I hotlinked them here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/straightonchaser/CHARLOTTE/DJsigning1.jpg) and here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/straightonchaser/CHARLOTTE/RobertYatesSigning1.jpg).

When DJ split from Robert Yates Racing after claiming only a year earlier that he planned to complete his racing career with RYR, i.e. retire and not go to another car, I lost a little respect for him and decided to keep rooting for the RYR teams. Now it's Richard Petty Motorsports, which is why I'm still pulling for them.

Since '01, Dad and I try to go to one race a year. We've been to Darlington, Martinsville, Richmond, Talladega, Texas, Charlotte, Michigan (IROC + cup quals), and Mansfield (trucks) so far. Our favorites were Martinsville (spring '02) and Richmond (fall '07). Our least favorites were Michigan ('01) and Texas ('09). This year we're doing the Bristol race in March. :banana2:

SID210SA
01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I dont know how I got into NASCAR....no one in my family watched it......but my all time favorite driver is Terry Labonte' when he drove the Budweiser car. Little did I know and found out several years later that he was somewhat of a hometown hero being from Corpus which is only 2 or so hours away from here. I still love to watch the race but only the big boys not the truck series or the Nationwide series. I always crank up the surround sound in my house and can really hears those cars scream.....weather they be the COT or the older ones from years past....I still love the sound and thats what keeps me going.

I agree that the COT racing isnt what it was in earlier years...and that they were really awesome when they had actual chrome bumbers. But the "BIG ONE" is what keeps me coming back for more.

guspech750
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM

A big thumbs up. You said it.

Mr. Man
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't know how I got into NASCAR....no one in my family watched it......but my all time favorite driver is Terry Labonte' when he drove the Budweiser car. Little did I know and found out several years later that he was somewhat of a hometown hero being from Corpus which is only 2 or so hours away from here. I still love to watch the race but only the big boys not the truck series or the Nationwide series. I always crank up the surround sound in my house and can really hears those cars scream.....weather they be the COT or the older ones from years past....I still love the sound and that's what keeps me going.

I agree that the COT racing isn't what it was in earlier years...and that they were really awesome when they had actual chrome bumpers. But the "BIG ONE" is what keeps me coming back for more.
I've been to a few truck and then Busch races at Nazareth(now gone) and they are a lot of fun. Trucks are usually beating on each other pretty good. If you get a chance to see the lesser series I think you would have a great time.

Paul T. Casey
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
While I agree with what Joe and others have said, I'm still a fan. What bugs me is, how does Todd Bodine not have a full time competitive ride? Think he's too ugly? mouthy? or what?

Blk Mamba
01-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I think Todd Bodine's problem is, that he has a brother named Geoffry.

SC Cheesehead
01-22-2011, 04:06 PM
While I agree with what Joe and others have said, I'm still a fan. What bugs me is, how does Todd Bodine not have a full time competitive ride? Think he's too ugly? mouthy? or what?

All of the above... :rolleyes:

Vortex
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Jayski's just posted the pics of the 2011 Wood Bros Ford, very retro, my favorite color scheme!

http://jayski.com/schemes/2011/21cup.htm

CBT
01-28-2011, 04:59 AM
Hey, that place looks familiar :beer:
I'll have to forward the link to Bob.

Jayski's just posted the pics of the 2011 Wood Bros Ford, very retro, my favorite color scheme!

http://jayski.com/schemes/2011/21cup.htm

SC Cheesehead
01-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Oh yeah, looking good! :up:

I've always liked the Wood Brothers, but I'm still a big fan of the duck...

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://assets.speedtv.com/images/easy_gallery/936471/2009_nscs_carl_edwards_car_m.j pg&sa=X&ei=isdCTZjdBMKB8gbF0NS0AQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH3plVqIN_4x6fwrnwaK8 QtCc-ZNw

mcb26
01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^

Gone like a freight-train, gone like yesterday
Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang
Gone like a '59 Cadillac
Like all the good things that ain't never coming back...

Gone - Montgomery Gentry

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.joeweatherly.com/NEW/JoeW_1964_NASCAR_riverside.jpg&sa=X&ei=3X04TbzDCYHdgQfmt6WeCA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFPvAqmpFCERikwPKCCE0 Cw3nM_cA

If I'm not mistaken that is the picture of the car Joe was killed in at Riverside.
I quit paying as much attention to NASCAR with the death of Alan and the closing of my favorite track N. Wilksboro

MMBLUE
01-28-2011, 05:52 PM

I'm going to give you a Hall pass on that one. Only because we both like Marauders.

Blk Mamba
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not in need of a "hall pass", GB is an a$$, and has proven it time and again, and I give him a "hall pass" for being a previous Daytona 500 winner.

MMBLUE
01-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not in need of a "hall pass", GB is an a$$, and has proven it time and again, and I give him a "hall pass" for being a previous Daytona 500 winner.

Thats a little better. Who do you like?

Blk Mamba
01-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Juan Pablo, Marcos Ambrose, just a bunch of nobody's.

MMBLUE
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Juan Pablo, Marcos Ambrose, just a bunch of nobody's.

Well they are all a bunch of a$$es. Esspecially the ban wagon, the whiner and pretty boy clone. Stewarts about the only one with any balz!! I miss watching the olde days.

Blk Mamba
01-29-2011, 06:32 PM
As do I, I could expound on my thoughts of most of the modern day drivers, and tell my pet peeves about each, but it would soon turn into a book. Some are just racing in the wrong series, some shouldn't even touch a car, notice I didn't say stock car, they've been gone since NASCAR started in the business of promoting certain drivers, by tweaking the cars to their specific driving ability. To hell with the restrictor plate.

SC Cheesehead
01-30-2011, 07:01 AM
as do i, i could expound on my thoughts of most of the modern day drivers, and tell my pet peeves about each, but it would soon turn into a book. Some are just racing in the wrong series, some shouldn't even touch a car, notice i didn't say stock car, they've been gone since nascar started in the business of promoting certain drivers, by tweaking the cars to their specific driving ability. to hell with the restrictor plate.

+1
----------------

MMBLUE
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
+1
----------------

+2 :mad2:

rayjay
01-30-2011, 09:54 AM
nascar = :sleepy:..........:sleepy:.... .......:sleepy:

If they ever bring back "cars" that are identifiable by shape instead of these b.s. Cots....
I might watch another iroc....errr......i mean nascar race.

I miss the bill elliot ford thunderbird, harry gant buick regal, rusty wallace pontiac grand prix, dale earnhardt chevy monte carlo.....:(

++++++++++ 3 ++++++++++