PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on a 1999 7.3 Powerstroke.

teamrope
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Looking at one with 158k on the clock. 4 door dually, 7.3 turbo Powerstroke, 6 speed manual 4X4. Any known issues/what should I look out for?

http://modules.dealercarsearch.com/usercontrols/photos.aspx?dealer=2691&id=834063&bgColor=000000

05crownsport
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
The 7.3 is well worth buying. The issues we have seen... have 3 for small business in MD, are not with the engine as much as the front end components. Ball joints, pitman arm, drag link, and tie rod ends seem to wear more than anything else on the trucks. Buy it, you will not be displeased. My brother in law has a 2000 excursion with the 7.3 and over 250000 miles on it.

ImpalaSlayer
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
my dad has a 99 e350 with the 7.3 and 230k miles, havent had any serious issues with the motor at all.

WI Fordguy
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
That is perfect mileage for trans problems in a truck that size, just check gear engagement especially in reverse under load. Average overhaul mileage for the 7.3 is around 250K. And like above, check suspension. Great trucks all in all.

teamrope
01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Had my mechanic check it out and from what he can see this one needs tires, front brake pads for sure, serpentine tensioner pulley, the Y-pipe between the manifolds and turbo has a leak, and it has a very slight miss.

If I pull the trigger it will be replacing my 91 Super Cab. It has a 7.3 with an ATS turbo, 4speed auto 2 wheel drive. It gets between 18-20 on the highway... kind of curious what I can expect for mileage with the bigger truck. I can see the 6 speed picking up some of what I would loose from the 4X4 and extra weight.

martyo
01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
I have a '99 450 with an automatic and the same mileage.

I bough the truck this summer.

I love it.

I would buy the truck you are looking at in a heartbeat.

Some will give you grief about the paint scheme, on the one you are looking at but I like it.

Let us know what you do.

martyo
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I saw your other post. The exhaust leak is typical and it is a donuts and gaskets problem. If you are not doing your own work, get your mechanic to quote you for the fix -- it is a bit labor intensive if you don't do your own work.

The miss is likely a bad injector or two (again typical), a problem with the IDM, or some bad sensors. All of this is fixable and not terribly expensive. Can your mechanic throw a SOLUS on it and pull the codes?

teamrope
01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
I have a '99 450 with an automatic and the same mileage.

I bough the truck this summer.

I love it.

I would buy the truck you are looking at in a heartbeat.

Some will give you grief about the paint scheme, on the one you are looking at but I like it.

Let us know what you do.

Kind of like my flames. I'm betting that somewhere out there there is a trailer of some sort with the same paint. :D

It's kind of funny, I've posted on 3 different boards, 2 of which are diesel forums and this is the only place I've gotten helpful responses. Thanks Guys! :)

teamrope
01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I saw your other post. The exhaust leak is typical and it is a donuts and gaskets problem. If you are not doing your own work, get your mechanic to quote you for the fix -- it is a bit labor intensive if you don't do your own work.

The miss is likely a bad injector or two (again typical), a problem with the IDM, or some bad sensors. All of this is fixable and not terribly expensive. Can your mechanic throw a SOLUS on it and pull the codes?

Thanks Marty. My neighbor across the street has an 01 Excursion with the same engine and exhaust problem. he hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet because it is a PITA to fix. He says the best place to get them is from an International Harvester dealer.

I don't know if Roy has a SOLUS, (I might need that acronym broken down :) )but we've been friends for a lot longer than that car lot has been here, and he's their mechanic too. :)

martyo
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks Marty. My neighbor across the street has an 01 Excursion with the same engine and exhaust problem. he hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet because it is a PITA to fix. He says the best place to get them is from an International Harvester dealer.

I don't know if Roy has a SOLUS, (I might need that acronym broken down :) )but we've been friends for a lot longer than that car lot has been here, and he's their mechanic too. :)

They are Ford parts and are relatively cheap. Drive it down here and I will put Brandon on the truck (he is a trained diesel mechanic and has competed nationally based on his skills).

The SOLUS is a code reader of sorts.

teamrope
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
They are Ford parts and are relatively cheap. Drive it down here and I will put Brandon on the truck (he is a trained diesel mechanic and has competed nationally based on his skills).

I wish I could Marty, but I'm not making what I did before I retired from the Army. If I could swing it I would definitely be during the big car shoot out. :)

teamrope
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Is this it? (http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/solus.asp?partno=EESC310D14IN&dir=catalog)

martyo
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Is this it? (http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/solus.asp?partno=EESC310D14IN&dir=catalog)

Yep.

They are bad ass for diagnostics!

bigrocks85
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM
The 7.3 is a beast and my cousin has 350k on his and still running strong!!!!!!!:cool4::cool4:

tbone
01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Diesels last forever. The vehicles they are mounted in do not. They still have the same hardware mounted in regular vehicles. Hidden expenses. Think about it.

RoyLPita
01-21-2011, 05:21 AM
I have heard of some '99s having torque converter rattle at idle. Also seen water pumps go bearing first. Plus there is a recall for the cam sensor.

martyo
01-21-2011, 06:46 AM
I have heard of some '99s having torque converter rattle at idle. Also seen water pumps go bearing first. Plus there is a recall for the cam sensor.

He is buying a manual, so no TQ converter.

The cam timing sensor may have been done on his truck. I think there is also a speed sensor recall but Ford is covering that without regard to how much mileage is on teh vehicle if I understand it correctly.

RoyLPita
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
He is buying a manual, so no TQ converter.

The cam timing sensor may have been done on his truck. I think there is also a speed sensor recall but Ford is covering that without regard to how much mileage is on teh vehicle if I understand it correctly.

I was just generalizing on the transmission issues. The water pump issue and cam sensor should still apply, though.

Dragcity
01-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I have a 2002 wiht 192,000 miles on it. Runs pretty good, I think I may need the under Valve cover connectors replaced, as they have issues over time...

I did have most of the front suspension replaced and serviced, but has been solid since then. The steering boxes can be an issue, wandering, but there is a company that rebuilds them for a good price.

Al in all a solid investment. always in high demand. Not sure about the dually, but my truck is worth a ton up here in Western NY.

That truck is pretty flash. Looks to be in GREAT shape....

teamrope
01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Well, went down to look at it in person and it wasn't meant to be. Sold over the internet and getting shipped to Texas. Not too heart broke, it looked a lot better in pictures than in real life. one back fender has a lot of cracks in the fiberglass from getting backed into something that didn't show up in the pics. Same with the flair kit.

Dragcity
01-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Look in Oklahoma,,,,,,,, that is where I found mine.