PDA

View Full Version : Out of state registration

Juice
01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
My SC tags are good through 02/11, so it's time to start thinking about how I want to proceed with registration.

The car is registered in South Carolina, but I no longer live there. I am currently living in New York, but will shortly be moving to California.

I tried renewing my SC tags online, but it says that I can't do it online. I haven't called them since I work longer than their operating hours (I've worked 156 hours in the last 2 weeks), so when I do get the time to call them, I'd like to be able to get this done.

SC only has a rear plate, no emissions, and tint laws are considerably more lax than CA. Since I have tint in the front windows, no front plate bracket, and my exhaust setup is minus the 2 rear cats, I'd really like to avoid having to register in CA. Front window tint of any kind is illegal in CA, the emissions are pretty strict, and I'd have to put on the front plate.

Anyone have any tips or tricks about how to get around this?

TFB
01-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Anyone have any tips or tricks about how to get around this?

In your best SC drawl... Yes sir officer, I'm just visitin'...

Blk Mamba
01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
If you are still in the military, make a detour through home on your way to Ca., re-register, then continue on to Ca., you will be able to run your car as though you were in SC.

thathotrodlincn
01-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Does SC allow registration renewal via mail? How long do you expect to be in California? Military? If so, you should be able to keep your SC registration. Is there a grace period for re-registration? (NC has a two week grace). Anyone have other ideas?
Rex?

fastblackmerc
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Need to check Ca. laws. May need to register & get drivers license if you plan on being in Ca. for an extended period.

But your military, so that may trump Ca. law.

Ca. DOT website:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Juice
01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I actually declare residency in CA, since that is my home state, so I have CA DL.

The problem with the SC reg is that I no longer have an SC address to attach the registration to.

Ms. Denmark
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I actually declare residency in CA, since that is my home state, so I have CA DL.

The problem with the SC reg is that I no longer have an SC address to attach the registration to.
How about a PO Box or APO?

Juice
01-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Ooh, didn't think of that. Definitely worth looking into. They could be the wiser and ask for a real address, but that seems stupid since I'm going to pay their state instead of mine to drive my car.

Bluerauder
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM

You may only have two options. Register it in NY where you now live or register it in CA which is your home of record. Don't think that you can legally renew in SC without at least a temporary domicile there (even with a military ID card). Hope you don't get jammed up with a "new" state trying to tax you again on it.

My home state of Maryland tried that when I came back from New Jersey. After that incident, I permanently switched my residency to Virginia.

SC Cheesehead
01-22-2011, 01:54 PM

You can use my address if you want, just make sure all checks and no bills get mailed there.;)

Seriously though, if you have a mailing address there, that may be sufficent for renewal, just keep in mind for SC tags you've got to pay annual property tax on the vehicle to renew registration.

merc6
01-22-2011, 01:59 PM
You may only have two options. Register it in NY where you now live or register it in CA which is your home of record. Don't think that you can legally renew in SC without at least a temporary domicile there (even with a military ID card). Hope you don't get jammed up with a "new" state trying to tax you again on it.

My home state of Maryland tried that when I came back from New Jersey. After that incident, I permanently switched my residency to Virginia.
Virginia didn't even care and didn't even want my military ID card. They just wanted my new out of town address that the car will be garaged in.

Speed
01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Juice,
You might want to find the time to call SC DMV because I also have my cars registered in SC and I'm in the military as well. I have not had any issues. The renewal comes to my address in MD like clock work. Only difference is you will have to pay SC taxes as you are no longer excempt (military) being you do not reside there.

Did you put in a change of address to the DMV when you left? (Required by most states DMV)

Is this your first time trying to do it online? (I had to mail it in the first time)

Juice
01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
I didn't put in a change of address with SC DMV, and that was my first time trying to do it online.

I only registered the one time in SC, when I initially registered the Marauder there. I was waived from the taxes, which it sounds like what is holding me up this time. I guess I'll just have to give them a call when I find the off time.

Thanks for the info.

gdsqdcr
01-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I bought my current ride out of Michigan with no front plate or bracket. Neuritis the registration process, I stuck the Cali plate in the front window. No issues. I still don't have a front plate.

Juice
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I bought my current ride out of Michigan with no front plate or bracket. Neuritis the registration process, I stuck the Cali plate in the front window. No issues. I still don't have a front plate.

I'm more worried about the 5% I have in the front windows and the exhaust.

gdsqdcr
01-23-2011, 09:54 AM
The front door windows are also tinted, no issues.

Questions the inspector asked:
Provide copy of smog.
Are vin numbers correct.
Did the Vin and plate match registration.
Do lights work.

That was it. Took about 10 min.

69428SCJ
01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm more worried about the 5% I have in the front windows and the exhaust.

I have limo tint and no front plate on my mustang here in Cali and haven't had any problems, but my HOR is Ohio so I guess my situation is slightly different than yours...

merc6
01-23-2011, 04:22 PM
I have limo tint and no front plate on my mustang here in Cali and haven't had any problems, but my HOR is Ohio so I guess my situation is slightly different than yours...
Yep OSP would pop you for the tint. Cleveland and Cleveland Heights would as well. When I was stationed in D.C. I had like 5% on a black car with Ohio tags but rarely drove that car back to Ohio. Depending on the state they might not enforce out of town rules unless its something blatant and you are trapped in a situation like D.C. MD. VA.

69428SCJ
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
I've run less-than-legal tint on all of my cars...but the only time I've been cited was when I was driving my sister's car, in the middle of the night. The way I skirt around it, just roll the windows down. It's a convertible anyway so it won't be seeing much winter duty.