PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV

mcb26
02-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Direct TV decided to upgrade my 10 yr old receivers about 6 months ago. Ever since then about twice a week the receivers reboot, do a check disk, and download info from satellite repeated calls to customer service have done nothing anyone else have this problem?

PonyUP
02-03-2011, 07:25 AM
I've had Directv for 8 years and about 8 months ago, upgraded to the Swim feature (Where you can watch your DVR anywhere in the house) and I love it. I haven't had any problems, but I know the receivers do a daily download of information for the guide and stuff like that. You can schedule in settings to happen overnight (mine is set for 3am) but it doesn't interupt the service, so your problem may be something different.
I can tell you that you don't need to have a phone line hooked to it unless you want to use the caller id function, or on demand. I never hook a phone line to mine and haven't for years. So I don't think your problem in there.

Best advice I can give you, is unplug everything for about an hour, plug back in, and do a reset with the red button on the card receiver slot, this may rest it. Then go into settings to schedule your download time for 3am.

JBeezy
02-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Get Uverse from AT&T. :-). I have direct tv as well. No problems here. Except when it rains hard

PonyUP
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Get Uverse from AT&T. :-). I have direct tv as well. No problems here. Except when it rains hard

Uverse may not be an option as they have a very scarse service area. At least they did when I looked into it about 8 months ago, but when DTV came out with a similar option, I went with it and have been very happy

Blk Mamba
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Not that problem, but every once in a while, it's like it looses the signal, the TV goes black, and the comes back on. The Philips flat screen is less than a year old.

martyo
02-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Uverse may not be an option as they have a very scarse service area. At least they did when I looked into it about 8 months ago, but when DTV came out with a similar option, I went with it and have been very happy

I am getting the SWIM stuff installed on Sunday.

I am glad to hear you like it.

mcb26
02-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Finally got a tech out, said the LMB was cracked, replaced it. We will see.
Other than this problem I've been happy with them.
Not that I have much choice. Local cable is out most of the time and trees are in the way of Dish network.
Even on DTV I can't get HD because of trees, don't matter much I don't have HD eyeballs :)

fastblackmerc
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Not that I have much choice. Local cable is out most of the time and trees are in the way of Dish network.
Even on DTV I can't get HD because of trees, don't matter much I don't have HD eyeballs :)

Cut down the trees!

Day and night difference with HD.

PonyUP
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I am getting the SWIM stuff installed on Sunday.

I am glad to hear you like it.

It's pretty cool Marty, I set my DVR up in the bedroom and beign able to watch it in the family room and the office is pretty cool, and I have had zero problems with it

MMBLUE
02-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Thats great. Another thing you can do is diconnect the phone line hooked up to the reciever. BTW I LOVE YOU'RE Avatar. Is that AK or BB?

martyo
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
It's pretty cool Marty, I set my DVR up in the bedroom and beign able to watch it in the family room and the office is pretty cool, and I have had zero problems with it

I assume if I have two DVRs i can go both directions (shut up CBT!)?

justmelanie
02-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Sorry, I gotta..... Thats what she said.:lol:

mcb26
02-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Thats great. Another thing you can do is diconnect the phone line hooked up to the reciever. BTW I LOVE YOU'RE Avatar. Is that AK or BB?

Alan Kulwicki victory lap at Atlanta.

MMBLUE
02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Alan Kulwicki victory lap at Atlanta.

Cool :2thumbs: That's back when racing was fun. AK is the ultimate underdog story. One of my favs

PonyUP
02-04-2011, 02:03 PM

I would imagine so, I'm not sure as I only have the one. But it seems to me you can, because when I watch the DVR in the living room, it notes that I am tapping the bedroom (Shut up casey) receiever. So I would think it would just come up in a menu