PDA

View Full Version : My GM slid down the driveway

Pat
02-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Yesterday we had ice and snow storms, so I parked the wife's GM next to the garage to pick up radiant heat.

This morning the car was next to the curb at the bottom of our sloping
drive way. Seems the slush refroze and the car slid down the ice sheet.
:eek:

The MM is still at the painters or it may have slid down too.

Cheers,

Vortex
02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Whats the story with the repaint Pat?

justbob
02-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Wow Pat, thats weird how that could happen! Any damage?

Bluerauder
02-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Wow Pat, thats weird how that could happen! Any damage?

I have seen it happen when parked on a slight incline. If it was wet or raining when the car was parked and everything freezes shortly thereafter, there is a potential for this to happen. At that time you will actually have a thin film of ice under the wheels. If the incline is sufficient to overcome friction, the car will slide.

One of the oddest events that I saw was in a major parking lot back in the 90's. About 12 rows of cars all slid down in slow motion until the 1st row stopped at the edge curb. Talk about a mess getting those cars since they were nose-to-tail and door-to-door in a 12 by 50 matrix. Unbelieveable.

Fortunately, I had parked in a different lot with the '94 T-Bird. :D

justbob
02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
It didn't slide down the driveway ya goof! It was just your spinners foolin ya. BTW You sound much different in real life? Weird.:D
YBDSb-BZM-U&feature=related

Jesse
02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
That's scary! I have to go up a hill that's level on top where I park. A couple weeks ago when I came home we were having freezing rain. I made it almost all the way up but I lost traction. I kept my foot in it but I went flying back down the hill. I had to turn the wheel to miss the stupid chicken coop. I then started goin sideways and backwards towards the damn tractor my step father has. If it wouldn't have been for some left over snow I would have slammed into it. My drivers side door would have gotten the most of it. Sorry to hijack ;)

Vortech347
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
The other reason the car slid is if you pull into a driveway with snow and stop, then put it park. You are no longer applying braking forces to all 4 tires, just the rears.

I learned this the hard way showing homes in the snow. I pulled up into a steeper driveway because I couldn't park on the street. Stopped the car, got out. The moment I shut the door the rear's broke loose and down the driveway she went. Luckly it didn't hit anything.

JOEMERC
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
onless you apply parking brake ,one wheel only holds car stationary if you have a non posi rear.cause one wheel will spin in opposite directions with open type rear.