PDA

View Full Version : My wifes Chevy..

Blk Mamba
02-08-2011, 04:18 AM
...Silverado tells when it needs an oil change, how does it know? I asked her, she thinks it has a sensor on the oil filter connector that resets the mileage each time the filter is removed, is that right?

fastblackmerc
02-08-2011, 04:36 AM
...Silverado tells when it needs an oil change, how does it know? I asked her, she thinks it has a sensor on the oil filter connector that resets the mileage each time the filter is removed, is that right?

It's a chebbie....

Who cares? :dunno:

gdsqdcr
02-08-2011, 05:45 AM
I have a Sierra and a Honda Accord with the same thing. It is based off of time a s mileage and at least in my case, must be manually reset every oil change.

Anthony

Vortex
02-08-2011, 07:43 AM
There is one of those in my Grand Marquis and I hate that thing. I know when its time to change my oil, I dont need my car telling me. Besides, its a pain in the azz to reset the thing. Those things dont go off by mileage only, my Dad drives about 2k a year and that warning light goes off at least twice a year so it must have some sort of clock in the computer to make it some sort of time/mileage combo. I doubtr it is actuallly checking to see if the oil is really good or not, ie checking for particulates. Somebody here should enlighten us.

WI Fordguy
02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
I believe its based on mileage since last reset and driving habits. It needs to be manually reset after each oil change. No sensors near the oil filter.

Mr. Man
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I believe its based on mileage since last reset and driving habits. It needs to be manually reset after each oil change. No sensors near the oil filter.
What ^^^^he said. There maybe a way to disable it. You'll have to break down and read the owners manual:)

Black Dynamite
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
GM's oil life moniter doesn't have any kind of particulate sensor. It merely records the number of hours, cold starts, hot starts and driving habits. I don't believe it even factors in miles driven. It does have to be manually reset, but it's easily done from the dashboard in a few seconds.

edit: I should mention that I'm referring to the '07 and newer trucks.

tbone
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I hate the one on my wife's Explorer. VERY hard to reset.

Blackened300a
02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
On our 2003 work silverado, you have to turn the key on and when the "change oil" light is on, you have to push either the brake pedal or the gas pedal twice within 2 seconds to reset. Most of the time it don't work so we just go by the color of the dipstick.

Blk Mamba
02-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Thank's all, I've never done the oil change on it, so I didn't know.

rauder88
02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Most GM vehicle with that system you turn the key on and press the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds and it resets

JamesHecker
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
My wife's 07 Mariner does that. Goes off at 3000 miles and we only service it every 5000 miles. The service writer said he can't turn it off or set it to 5000.
It is a PITA!

Mike M
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Most GM vehicle with that system you turn the key on and press the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds and it resets

Correct>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>