PDA

View Full Version : A question before install of my new Pioneer P4200DVD

JBeezy
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Only thing special thing I want to install is the cable for the ipod touch(when I get one). Just wondering if I can use the USB port on the back of the unit or will I need something different? The ipod cable uses the same USB type cable that the iphone uses. I'm sure you all know this, just added for information.

If I can use the USB slot I'm good to go. I can install this today.

Also going to do the relay so I can play video while driving, even though i doubt I'll ever do this.

DOOM
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Pm pops......

JBeezy
02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I just called. They set me straight. Now I have to figure out what needs to be filed down for the install.

Just getting all my ducks in a row, before I start.

AConvertedChevy
02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
USB/aux cable in the glove box FTW

Did you get the bluetooth?

JBeezy
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
No bluetooth. My current DEH-P7900BT has all that installed and I cant tell you the last time I used it.

JBeezy
02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Can anyone chime in and tell me what I should expect to have to grind down in order for this to fit? I'm surprised noone has done a DIY for the double din install here on the forums for those who has never done anything like this

I've installed several regular cd players in my other cars

Pops
02-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Fit the mounting cage to the dash bezel. That will show you what you need to file.

JBeezy
02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Dumb question. How in the heck does the bezel come out. I don't want to break it

Jesse
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I want to try to help out so here goes ;)
When I did the double din instal in my Marquis I had to take out a plastic lip that ran across the bottom of the opening and it was fine. I wish we lived closer together because I love getting into this stuff. I'm not sure what bezel you mean though I'm sorry. If you mean the one on the new player then I think they just come with little key like things to allow you to slide it off. Hope I was some help.

fastblackmerc
02-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Can anyone chime in and tell me what I should expect to have to grind down in order for this to fit? I'm surprised noone has done a DIY for the double din install here on the forums for those who has never done anything like this

I've installed several regular cd players in my other cars

Once you take out the factory radio you'll see a small lip on the top and bottom of the opening that runs from left to right or right to left. If your careful you can repeatedly score it with a razor knife then break it off. You might want to also remove about a 1/3 to 1/2 half of the shelf under the radio. That will make installing the cabling easier.

illwood
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Dumb question. How in the heck does the bezel come out. I don't want to break it

I didn't do a full DIY, but I did post a thread of pictures taken from my install:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46609

First, pop off the two "carbon fiber" trim pieces that run along the center of the dash. I would start at the door side for both pieces (there are 2 clips under the EATC that snap in as well).

After that, you should see the hex/torx screws needed to remove the trim panel that surrounds the radio and gauges.

Personally, I only removed the top and bottom tab in the radio opening and left the side ones to grab the side mounting plates.

JBeezy
02-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks all. I got it in. Just need to get all the wiring in behind it. Even did the video bypass.

Everything works and it sounds better than the DEH-P7900BT that I removed.

Only problem I have is I can't get the trim piece to snap in like it should. Please tell me I'm not the only one that had this problem....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/impalasscars/263e41c4.jpg

snigalfriz
02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
What's up with the mini disco ball....lol

JBeezy
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Man, I've had that ball forever. It started out over 5 yrs ago in my '96 Impala SS. It was a joke, but it grew on me, LOL!!!

MOTOWN
02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
lookin good bud!, my double din went in with no problems, but others have said they had to trim the opening to fit.

JBeezy
02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I have it all buttoned up now except for the trim ring. Once I got it apart the install was very easy. My XM Radio still works as well. Lost my mic though

Marauder108
02-10-2011, 02:32 AM
just wanted to say I love my pioneer double din. Bought it for 600 at a local sound shop went on pioneer website to see what the retail was and it said 1300. kinda sucks you cant play dvd's while driving though. i wouldnt do that though, if i crashed my car i would die, but then i would have an excuse to get a DTR with tan interior!

Smalldogg/03mm
02-10-2011, 03:48 AM

Thats the same thing I was thinking... That's the soul train ball. :)

fastblackmerc
02-10-2011, 03:49 AM
just wanted to say I love my pioneer double din. Bought it for 600 at a local sound shop went on pioneer website to see what the retail was and it said 1300. kinda sucks you cant play dvd's while driving though. i wouldnt do that though, if i crashed my car i would die, but then i would have an excuse to get a DTR with tan interior!

Good luck trying to find a DTR with a tan interior. :shake::shake::shake:

JBeezy
02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I've never seen one with tan interior but I'm sure it would look pretty good

JBeezy
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
lookin good bud!, my double din went in with no problems, but others have said they had to trim the opening to fit.

Sad to say but I may go by a audio shop and pay them to put one in. I can't tolerate this tedious crap at all

fastblackmerc
02-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I've never seen one with tan interior but I'm sure it would look pretty good

Never made or even offered an tan interior in a Marauder.

Options were light flint or dark charcoal.