PDA

View Full Version : Can't you smell that smell, the smell that's...

RacerX
02-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Gee, is that someone's electrical burning I smell driving down the highway tonight? Poor bastid, hope it doesn't... hmmmm... smell's getting stronger... engine temp, check! Oil pressure, check! Bottle warmer off, check! Hmmmm... Oh please don't catch fire or blow my electrical, time to pull over! Hmmmm... Stinks under the hood, no fire, no fuses blown, alternator smells ok, nothing obvious with the flashlight... Ok, start her up, drive her the few minutes left home. Popped the hood and let her cool, on the slant in the driveway, check the coolant. Hmmmm, k... turn on the heater... that's an odd sound, what the OMG!!!!! WTF!!!! Turn it off... So that's what a dieing a/c clutch smells and looks like! Like the fourth of freakin July around the clutch! Well, at least it wasn't the electrical frying! Anyone have a A/C compressor sitting around? :D

justbob
02-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Reminds me of my scare last year when the converter insulation caught fire. Nervous at first!

Mr. Man
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Reminds me of my scare last year when the converter insulation caught fire. Nervous at first!
Talk about your Disco Inferno:P Disco Sucks:D

Motorhead350
02-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Okay Lynyrd Skynyrd

RacerX
02-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Anyone know if you can rebuild the clutch assembly on an A/C compressor and is it worth it if you can? Thanks!
Looks like I can get a clutch to rebuild the front from Rockauto for $105.

PonyUP
02-15-2011, 07:15 AM

I remember that night, it was freezing balls and they sent the whole fire department and a couple of cops. Still though, that infared detector they used was pretty cool

RacerX
02-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Uncle Gus - "Now that's a fire!" :D

PonyUP
02-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Uncle Gus - "Now that's a fire!" :D

Aunt Bunny-Goony GooHoo

Fosters
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
You think that's bad... I had a tdi jetta start flashing its glow plug indicator at me on the highway once... Figuring it has to do something with the fuel system, and knowing it's a high pressure system, I pulled over immediately to check things out... I did the whole under the hood thing too, looked under the car, nothing leaking, nothing going on.

Called a friend to have him look it up on the internet. Apparently flashing glow plug indicator is VW speak for burned out brake light bulb. :o

Egon Spengler
02-15-2011, 08:17 AM
"Listen... you smell something???"

(My Ghostbusters quote for the day)

SID210SA
02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
That reminds me of an incident I had one day....I was working for a detail shop and we had an Isuzu Rodeo....we were cleaning it out, getting the smoke smell and smoke marks off the interior after it had a small fire inside the back interior. Well we picked it up and were driving it back to our shop after the dealership "repaired" it, it started smoking thick white smoke from buring in the same place it had before....I bailed and ran to the nearest place to call the fire department....that was fun....it didnt burn luckily....

massacre
02-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry Bill, I deleted mine and haven't seen it in years.

Pretty sure you can replace just the clutch, might be a PITA though.

wickedmerc
02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
"Listen... you smell something???"

(My Ghostbusters quote for the day)

:hijack:
Yeah man!!
"Hey, where do these stairs go?"...."They go up." :lol:

Sorry....sucks about the a/c compressor. Hope it don't set you back too much. Good luck.

Krytin
02-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Anyone know if you can rebuild the clutch assembly on an A/C compressor and is it worth it if you can? Thanks!
Looks like I can get a clutch to rebuild the front from Rockauto for $105.

Clutch is replaceable - I did my '90 TC some years ago.
You need the puller though. Does not effect the charge in the system as the clutch does not involve the shaft seal on the compressor.

RacerX
02-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Ahhh, thanks. Like a balancer puller? Just found I can borrow one from local parts store! Thanks!