PDA

View Full Version : Raced a train!

Black Dynamite
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
OK, I didn't really race a train, but I had an interesting experience none the less.

While on my way home from Chicago the other night I was travelling down an old two lane highway (I hate interstates) when I rounded a curve to where there is a 30-40 mile stretch of highway that runs parallel to a railroad. When my headlights fell on the tracks they illuminated the side of 7 locomotives running by themselves at a high rate of speed. So in my playful boredom I decided to pace them and they were clickin' along at 60mph. I sped up a little to bring myself even with the lead locomotive and use his frankly much brighter headlights to help keep an eye out for any little bambi's that might like to go for an evening stroll. After a couple of minutes I noticed the loco flash his headlights three times. I looked over and I see a guy looking at me from the cab window. Well, I guess they were as bored as I was as the train started to pull ahead of me. I decided to keep pace and we ran along side each other up to 85mph before he back off and dropped it back down to 60. I sat there and ran right next to him for the remainder of the time that the road ran next to the tracks. When the road finally split off from the tracks he flashed his lights and blew his horn twice. Kind of a cool way to kill a half hour! :beer:

Motorhead350
02-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Very cool! Glad I read it before it's gets deleted. :mad2:

CBT
02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Pretty neat, can't say that I've cruised with a train, the road must have been lit up like a mofo with both of your lights at night.

Fosters
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Very cool! Glad I read it before it's gets deleted. :mad2:

Why would it get deleted, a lot more than half (7 out of the 8 vehicles involved) of this 'contest of speed' was done on the track, literally. :o:D

Motorhead350
02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Why would it get deleted, a lot more than half (7 out of the 8 vehicles involved) of this 'contest of speed' was done on the track, literally. :o:D

hahahahahhahahaha yes then there is no reason to delete it. It was on the track. lololololol

:rofl:

SID210SA
02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Tru Dat...and no animals were harmed during the making of this story on the TRACK!!

Black Dynamite
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Pretty neat, can't say that I've cruised with a train, the road must have been lit up like a mofo with both of your lights at night.

Kinda, his lights were like my brights. I guess I don't know if trains have highbeams or not. :confused:

DOOM
02-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Cool story.

CBT
02-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Kinda, his lights were like my brights. I guess I don't know if trains have highbeams or not. :confused:

Maybe it was the ol' ghost train from the wreck of 18 and 37! :eek:

Or they were filming the sequel to 'Unstoppable', that run-away train movie with Denzel Washington, and you ruined the shot. Thanks man, way to go. :shake:

:D

Big Black Beast
02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised he didn't derail at that speed. There's a reason the trains are so slow here. The tracks are horrid (at least the ones I've ridden on).:rolleyes:

Black Dynamite
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Or they were filming the sequel to 'Unstoppable', that run-away train movie with Denzel Washington, and you ruined the shot. Thanks man, way to go. :shake:

:D

More like "Siege 2, Part Deux: Darker Territory." :D

Marauderman
02-17-2011, 05:35 AM
To me, whats even more interesting is the apparent length of parallel road and track time--with those reported speeds before road spliting and still looking over at each other before the road split.........

cool story though.

LANDY
02-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Very cool story. I have done something similar with a dirt bike.