PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500

FastMerc
02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Holy crap the big one early! Harvick blows up! This is one for the records,two car tag teams.The redesighned car still needs work.Have to see how this plays out and its only 50 laps in :eek:

Bluerauder
02-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Holy crap the big one early! Harvick blows up! This is one for the records,two car tag teams.The redesighned car still needs work.Have to see how this plays out and its only 50 laps in :eek:

Not sure that I like the 2 by 2 by 2 by 2 ..... drafting. It sure looks different. Seems more dangerous too 'cause the cars are touching completely around the track all the time .... the driver's have to share a brain 'cause one mistep by the lead car can bring disaster as in the early "Big One" that rounded up 18 cars. Lots of big name drivers are now 20 laps down or out completely.

ImpalaSlayer
02-20-2011, 02:05 PM
nascar is so boring! :snoopy:

Motorhead350
02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
nascar is so boring! :snoopy:

1948-1972 it was cool.

FastMerc
02-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh yes the golden era.When you made a race car out of a street car it was much better.True bring what u brung the racing more fun.2by2 not so but dangerouse.Y ou will know your 2nd when you got no power to pass sucks!

hotford
02-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I'M not a chevy guy .....but I would like to see Dale jr win just for the old man......10 years ago this weekend he past away....RIP .......

1stMerc
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Wood Brothers win with twenty year Trevor Bayne.
Fords first and second

Go2GuyFL
02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
How extra special to know we visited their shop last year!

thathotrodlincn
02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
How sweet it is!!!!

rayjay
02-20-2011, 03:51 PM

It was 3 times better than the super bowl having met Leonard Wood and some of his family that day during MV8. I jumped out of my chair, well as best I could, at the end cheering! How great for that young kid for his 1st win to come at Daytona. He didn't even know what to do after winning. Too funny.

To kinda puts things in perspective, I was a rookie cop the last time they won it and I just retired 5 months ago after 34 years. Wow, nothing like keep trying until they succeeded again. Amazing

1stMerc
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Ain't that the truth.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0345.JPG (javascript:;)

Motorhead350
02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
When you made a race car out of a street car it was much better.True bring what u brung the racing more fun.

Words I live by.

FastMerc
02-20-2011, 04:47 PM
WOW the Wood brothers back in town with a new game and his name is Trevore! Talk about history in the making 20 yrs old the youngest to ever win it! :D That kid has a future and I hope he stays with Ford. The King and Roush shook his hand and I bet got there phone numbers tooo!

rayjay
02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
WOW the Wood brothers back in town with a new game and his name is Trevore! Talk about history in the making 20 yrs old the youngest to ever win it! :D That kid has a future and I hope he stays with Ford. The King and Roush shook his hand and I bet got there phone numbers tooo!

Best of all they are a one car, part time team. I hope this brings them the sponsorship they need to run a full season. Really nice folks.

SC Cheesehead
02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Wood Brothers win with twenty year Trevor Bayne.
Fords first and second

and third... ;)

The Wood Bros. for the win, and The Duck takes 2nd, what's not to love? :D

a_d_a_m
02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Trevor won me $25 today!
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184950_577902022941_39003984_3 3169879_7070795_n.jpg

Our definition of a 'dark horse' is someone who's yet to win a race, or someone who is not expected to win a race, finishing well.

From what I understand, he has yet to secure a full-time ride for the Cup series. Seems like he's got a good thing with the Wood Bros. so far, though I think Roush built the car for the most part...

massacre
02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
All I have to say is: "C P".

Old timers know what that means.
Wood Bros have been around forever and totally deserve it for all their hard work.

a_d_a_m
02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Competition Proven!

BUCKWHEAT
02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Ain't that the truth.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0345.JPG (javascript:;)

Waymon, you are way too impressive! Very cool...

Vortex
02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Ive been a Wood Bros fan since the early 70's (even before Pearson!) and today was just sooo great. I really had to take the opportunity during the last Marauderville to go by the shop and for those of us that went we all can attest to just the real down home folks the Woods are. Im glad for the older generation of Glen and Leonard but want to make sure I do my part to say this is a real Len and Eddie win, heck, they have been running the team for the past 25 years or so! I feel bad for Bill Elliott but the facts are if the Wood Bros hadnt given the ride to Bayne (a Roush driver) they just wouldnt be able to compete against the powerhouse teams. With primo Roush equipment and now with this victory they have a good chance at getting another major sponsor to get them through a full season. I liked how the 21 team had Edsel Ford with them all week and one other note, on paper this car is owned by Richard Petty (!!) as his owner points were transferred to the Wood Bros. Anyway, enough of my rambles, I feel just damn good right now. :)

1stMerc
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Waymon, you are way too impressive! Very cool...

Thanks John. It was way cool touring the facilities and meeting the family.

P.s you and Gina need to come out to some of these events.

1stMerc
02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Ive been a Wood Bros fan since the early 70's (even before Pearson!) and today was just sooo great. I really had to take the opportunity during the last Marauderville to go by the shop and for those of us that went we all can attest to just the real down home folks the Woods are. Im glad for the older generation of Glen and Leonard but want to make sure I do my part to say this is a real Len and Eddie win, heck, they have been running the team for the past 25 years or so! I feel bad for Bill Elliott but the facts are if the Wood Bros hadnt given the ride to Bayne (a Roush driver) they just wouldnt be able to compete against the powerhouse teams. With primo Roush equipment and now with this victory they have a good chance at getting another major sponsor to get them through a full season. I liked how the 21 team had Edsel Ford with them all week and one other note, on paper this car is owned by Richard Petty (!!) as his owner points were transferred to the Wood Bros. Anyway, enough of my rambles, I feel just damn good right now. :)

Glad you could get a bunch of us together for a visit to the facility. It's great to have picture with a celebrity.

Jesse
02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I met Jeff Green once. Nice guy autographed a picture for me. I also helped Mike Wallace move a canopy when it started to rain while he was signing autographs at the Pocono track. That was fun even though we were soaked to the bone!

yjmud
02-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Holman Moody = competition proven

SC Cheesehead
02-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Holman Moody = competition proven

Yup.

http://www.holmanmoody.com/tag%202.png

Bluerauder
02-21-2011, 05:39 AM
The Green-White-Checker finish was pretty interesting IMHO.

With 3 sets of tandems out front of the pack, I wasn't sure that the #21 was gonna be able to hold on to the lead. Was waiting for someone to make a move on the last lap but the three sets hung together until Turn 4. The 3rd pair pulled up under the #21 and shoved his "pusher" out of the way. I think the 2nd pair entering Turn #4 actually ended up in the #5 and #6 position.

Trevor and the Wood Brothers did an excellent job of hanging on to the lead and his pusher-mate hung with him until the bitter end. :up:

Pat
02-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Vortex;

Jim, I'll bet you were jumping up and down with joy watching the Wood Brothers' car win. I know you've been a big fan for years.

I was blown away with this push style racing. It did cause a few wreaks but so does the follow the leader style. Listening to the announcers it would seem you can partner with someone, not even on your team, and "dance".

It's exciting when three or four pairs get three wide and "push " through the pack.

NASCAR may have found a way to bring the fans back. It was standing room only I think.

May have to lower the speed, these guys were over 200 MPH, maybe to 150 MPH to maintain better control and give some reaction time. But that's just me, a 70 MPH old fart.

TFB
02-21-2011, 06:04 AM
1948-1972 it was cool.Yeah back in those days one car often broke away and lapped the field four or five times, lots o fun, with everyone's short attention span these days NASCAR wouldn't last six months...

Ive been a Wood Bros fan since the early 70's (even before Pearson!) and today was just sooo great.
Agreed I was beating on the floor screaming go! go! go!

I was BIG fan back when David was driving the 21 but had a lost feeling when he left, never could get behind Bonnet... Jumped ship and became a Bill Elliott fan, even before he'd won his first race(were still running the boxy Birds)... The 21 was always my second choice and was good to see Bill drive for the Woods but unfortunately the fire just wasn't there...

SID210SA
02-21-2011, 08:32 AM
That was a great race.....I watched from green to checker!! Bayne was awesome....he was near the front the entire race. I was rooting for him since the begining....I saw Dale Jr. near the front also towards the end and thought he might pull it out but then was caught up in one of 15 cautions of the day....

On the green-white-checker I though Bayne had a good chance to win, being in second behind the six car...Then on the restart the #6 jumped from the outside to the inside lane before the Start-Finish line and got a black flag, which droped him to the #12 position. When Bayne started in front I knew he had it as long and the pusher stayed behind him.....on this paticular track because of the new surface it is near impossible to sling shot like the old days.

Bayne is only the second driver in Daytona 500 history to start his first Daytona and win it....the first was Lee Petty in 1959 which was the inagural race.

Oh yeah...and he is also the youngest driver to win it at 20 years and 1 day....what a Bday present!!

So Congrats to Bayne and the Wood Bros.

TJCOX
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Roush powered the number 21?

rayjay
02-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the background info Vortex. Its great how the community came together to help a storied team like the Wood Brothers and then they won the darn race with the youngest rookie driver ever! Now how cool is that? :D

This one will always be special to me because of that trip at MV8. Thanks so much for arranging that!

SID210SA
02-21-2011, 09:58 AM
So does anyone know how much it would cost to sponser this young man, or moreover the Wood Bros.....say with a bumper sticker size endorsemet from MM.net!! After all...we are a Ford Product, and some of the .netters visited the Wood Bros. Shop.

Just thinking out loud...

mcb26
02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
So does anyone know how much it would cost to sponser this young man, or moreover the Wood Bros.....say with a bumper sticker size endorsemet from MM.net!! After all...we are a Ford Product, and some of the .netters visited the Wood Bros. Shop.

Just thinking out loud...

Wouldn't hurt to ask. I put a sticker on Jimmy Means for $30 a race one year back in the day. All I did was walk up and ask him.

Baaad GN
02-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay Okay, chevy, ford???????????????? It's a large gocart frame with a motor, paint and decals. NOT like the old days, that why I quit watching, I know so what!

mcb26
02-21-2011, 10:26 AM
By the way tonight's WFO broadcast ought to be good.
Monday is a recap on the weekend racing, tuesday is NHRA.
http://www.wforadio.com/

CBT
02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Who's the old fart with Len Wood?

:D

Ain't that the truth.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_0345.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

CBT
02-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Glad you could get a bunch of us together for a visit to the facility. It's great to have picture with a celebrity.

Ditto what Waymon said, they were nice to us, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

SC Cheesehead
02-21-2011, 07:32 PM

The one in the foreground or the one in the background?

Both of 'em prolly oldern' dirt...;)

1stMerc
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Shoot, man don't you recognize him? That's Lon Chaney "Man of a Thousand faces".

1stMerc
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
The one in the foreground or the one in the background?

Both of 'em prolly oldern' dirt...;)

So mister what's "oldern' dirt..." You got me beat by 5 yrs :D

SC Cheesehead
02-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Shoot, man don't you recognize him? That's Lon Chaney "Man of a Thousand faces".

:rofl: good one, Waymon! :D

So mister what's "oldern' dirt..." You got me beat by 5 yrs :D

Didn't say I wasn't a member of the "oldern' dirt" club, just pointing out a couple fellow members... ;) -----> :D