PDA

View Full Version : What if I crash again?

Motorhead350
02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I was thinking about this and need to know.

If I crash my car to a point beyond repair and I need a new car, what do I do about the aftermarket stuff? Like if the blower and headers are fine. Say my car is totaled out from a rear end collision and I wanna take all my go fast goodies off and put them on another Marauder? How do I say "I want another Marauder, but I wanna take some parts off the totaled one first. Parts it didn't come with."

I don't wanna tell the insurance company what it has because my rates will go up. So that's out, but if I wanna pull the parts off would it be best that I do it before insurance takes position? The only way I would know of it buying the totaled car back, taking off what I want and parting out the rest. I don't wanna do it that way, but would that be the only way?

I am confused. Just wanna plan ahead.

Thanks.

fastblackmerc
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM

If I crash my car to a point beyond repair and I need a new car, what do I do about the aftermarket stuff? Like if the blower and headers are fine. Say my car is totaled out from a rear end collision and I wanna take all my go fast goodies off and put them on another Marauder? How do I say "I want another Marauder, but I wanna take some parts off the totaled one first. Parts it didn't come with."

I don't wanna tell the insurance company what it has because my rates will go up. So that's out, but if I wanna pull the parts off would it be best that I do it before insurance takes position? The only way I would know of it buying the totaled car back, taking off what I want and parting out the rest. I don't wanna do it that way, but would that be the only way?

Thanks.

DO NOT crash your car.

Juice
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh well... Every time he crashes one it makes mine rarer.

tbone
02-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Just buy it back from them after they total it.

Joe Walsh
02-22-2011, 05:58 AM

I don't wanna tell the insurance company what it has because my rates will go up. So that's out, but if I wanna pull the parts off would it be best that I do it before insurance takes position?
The only way I would know of it buying the totaled car back, taking off what I want and parting out the rest.

That is the way to do it....legally.

I don't wanna do it that way, but would that be the only way?

Thanks.

You are confused if you are planning on wrecking your car.....:shake:

....:hmmm:

Or maybe you already have and are too embarassed to admit it right now.

Just buy it back from them after you total it and then they total it.

There....fixed it for ya!

CWright
02-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Thanks.

I'll put my car back to stock then sell it to you! :D I've got my eye on another one.

massacre
02-22-2011, 06:26 AM

Thanks.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2411/coolstarrybraf.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/i/coolstarrybraf.jpg/)

RacerX
02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
:rofl::laugh: Dibs on floor mats!!!

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2411/coolstarrybraf.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/i/coolstarrybraf.jpg/)

djv5150
02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Your insurance company will not insure any aftermarket parts before you sign the vehicle over to the insurance co you have the option to remove any aftermarket parts providing you have the stock parts to put back on it. if you do not have the stock parts you have the option to buy the vehicle back from your insurance co they will give you a buy back price.

PonyUP
02-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Your insurance company will not insure any aftermarket parts before you sign the vehicle over to the insurance co you have the option to remove any aftermarket parts providing you have the stock parts to put back on it. if you do not have the stock parts you have the option to buy the vehicle back from your insurance co they will give you a buy back price.

Plus 1, he hit the nail right on the head. Though I would be careful about not telling your insurance company what you have if they ahve asked. If you do crash and they find unreported modifications that could ahve contributed to the crash, you will be on the hook for everything, including any possible bodily injury. It can be a terrible risk to take.

Have you research what you rates would be, get quotes for a couple of companies that way you can make an informed decision on how best to move forward

martyo
02-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Seriously Dom?

MM03MOK
02-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Talk to Mac about a rider on your insurance policy. He did it on Patches. If you're going to take a chance, why not cover yourself. Otherwise, you play, you pay.

Shaijack
02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Collector car insurance is provided per (your) estimate of value on your MM. I had Hagerty Insurance during Katrina (10K)($110.00 a year) and they sent someone out to look at it and paid me the 10K, I then bought it back for 2K. The car was a 74" SS Nova with 26K miles, 383 Stroker. It had 18'' fof water. I then sold it for 6K so I made money on the deal. All to support my MM.

jstevens
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
My insurer (USAA) told me they will cover up to $5K in mods provided I have pictures and/or receipts. This was when I asked about additional coverage due to the s/c.

fastblackmerc
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Doesn't this sound just like the "move to California and keep my Illinois insurance rate" thread.....

Dom.......... always trying to beat the system.......

RacerX
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
My insurer (USAA) told me they will cover up to $5K in mods provided I have pictures and/or receipts. This was when I asked about additional coverage due to the s/c.
USAA is actually a good co. I had my oldest (he's in the AirForce) use USAA for everything. :up:

CBT
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
USAA for the win. :beer:

RacerX
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Almost sounds Canadian when you say it... Eh? :D

MM2004
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Almost sounds Canadian when you say it... Eh? :D

Eh?

That made me laugh!

:beer:

Mike.

justbob
02-22-2011, 11:03 AM

That is 100% wrong. Different states underwriters are night and day to other states. In the end it is completely up to your provider, then up to your local salesman, as long as the underwriters in your state approve FIRST. In IL. My state farm policy clearly states ANY aftermarket parts are fully covered with only proof of pictures, no reciepts needed as many parts are purchased used. I can not recall at this time the additional value added on but somewhere between $7-$10 grand for ZERO additional charge.

I did my homework before contacting "my guy" but that was not needed as he was eager to check the same steps as I did and he gave me the green light within a couple days.

massacre
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
That is 100% wrong. Different states underwriters are night and day to other states.

^^^^

/thread

Motorhead350
02-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Just wanted to find out what to do if something stupid happens. My accidents have always been people hitting me. The car is fine, just needs Zacks touch.

vkirkend
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
DO NOT crash your car.

Sounds like a good idea to me.....:flamer: