PDA

View Full Version : Any RVers here?

DEFYANT
02-26-2011, 01:54 PM
The Family and I are strongly considering getting an RV. Any RVers in Marauder world? Despite the BS gas prices, I am liking the idea of traveling and not needing hotels anymore.

Tips and tricks on RVing welcome.

Got an RV? Post up. :)

Shaijack
02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Tried it but did not like it. Wife likes to stay in hotels. Would you use it enough? I had 2 and loaned them out to friends but when I got them back they were dirty and stuff broken, not reported to me. Personal choice for you. Get a BIG one if you get one at all. Diesel is the best.

vkirkend
02-26-2011, 04:11 PM
How does your wife feel about not having a vacation (actually) when you go on trips in it. I'm lazy and don't want to pick up or clean anything when I go on trips...:help:

LANDY
02-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I have been a certified rv tech for 4 years. I have been camping twice its fun and chilled.
Are you looking for a motorhome, doth wheel, or travel trailer?

FordNut
02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I've had several RV's mostly motor homes but a couple of trailers also. The trailers were setup as full-time residences at worksites out of state. RV's are great for going to the races or towing motorcycles to faraway places then using the RV as "home base" for the motorcyle trip. Great for bike week, speed week, Sturgis, etc.

We got burned out on it a couple of years ago, had a problem with black mold infesting the house and ended up living in the RV full time for about 6 months parked in the driveway. Thinking about selling it this spring, it has a few things that need worked on first. If you let them sit and don't use them, they'll go downhill. Officially it sleeps 5 or 6 but if anybody asks I claim it sleeps 2.

sailsmen
02-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Rent it unless you are going to use all the time. I have rented RVs and I owned an Airstream.
The advantage of RV is you have the generator. The downside is you really have to park it and leave it. In that case might as well go with the camper.

With a camper a proper tow vehicle, one where the hitch is near the axle, a correct hitch are a must. The biggest prob with the Airstream was I would forget it was there. When you went inside and shut the door you were in a vault. We were near the fire works for New Years Eve and did not hear them with the door shut and a/c on. The biggest problem selling it was the weight, almost double many other brands.

It is different, like camping, some consider it work. Eventually you figure out how to do things comfortably such as cook outside early before the bugs hit. Some times the family really liked and sometimes they didn't. We spent several days during a cool time in the mountains at a good facility with a fun little town and they did not want to leave. I became friendly with the RV ark owner and he ended up moving near me working at his sister dealership where we bring a car. Small World. I met a lot of good people.

I would only rent or own a top of the line unit.

LANDY
02-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Also maintenance is a big thing, to keep an rv in perfect conditions it takes alot of time. And like Brian said don't let them sit it will cost you a lot of $$$. There many things to learn about them if you have any ?'s pm me or call me 352 5729980.
Landy

LANDY
02-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Rent it unless you are going to use all the time. I have rented RVs and I owned an Airstream.
The advantage of RV is you have the generator. The downside is you really have to park it and leave it. In that case might as well go with the camper.

With a camper a proper tow vehicle, one where the hitch is near the axle, a correct hitch are a must. The biggest prob with the Airstream was I would forget it was there. When you went inside and shut the door you were in a vault. We were near the fire works for New Years Eve and did not hear them with the door shut and a/c on. The biggest problem selling it was the weight, almost double many other brands.

It is different, like camping, some consider it work. Eventually you figure out how to do things comfortably such as cook outside early before the bugs hit. Some times the family really liked and sometimes they didn't. We spent several days during a cool time in the mountains at a good facility with a fun little town and they did not want to leave. I became friendly with the RV ark owner and he ended up moving near me working at his sister dealership where we bring a car. Small World. I met a lot of good people.

I would only rent or own a top of the line unit. good points.
Something to consider is resale value I suggest to buy one that's a couple of years older instead of new and always get on the roof before purchases, no matter what.
Bolo for the ones that have been sitting on the lot for a long time. And going thru a friendly and informative dealership is a must.

jabird56
02-26-2011, 09:33 PM
The other half and I have a 2008 28 ft FOUR WINDS, and love it. When we moved to Maryland we lived in it for 6 weeks waiting for the paperwork/closing on the house we bought in Maryland. We bought into a private campground just south of Gettysburg battlefield, and we were up there at least 1 weekend a month last season. When we retire in 3 to 4 more years, we'll upgrade and become nomads/snow birds.

This weekend and last was the annual Maryland RV show at the Timonium fairgrounds,...we spent the day up there today.

If you and the misses want to come up sometime when we're up in Gettysburg, the door is open to check things out.

URL to photo of camper rig: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19131&cat=500

DEFYANT
02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!!

In my youth, childhood to about 25 yrs, I had boats. Dad had a 32ft Pacemaker and I had a Stingray. Great fun back then. I am no stanger to cramped quarters. And my wife was into camping in her previous life before we met. Difference is, she wont be sleeping on the ground! Everyone here is very much into the idea.

We were also at the RV show in Timonium last week. The dealers there were very motivated. If I do buy one, it will be for the long haul. We really like the new class c with the bunks. 31 footer w/ two slides that sleeps 10! Room for us all plus a guest or two! It is limited on storage compartments though. We would need a dolly to tow her Torrent around eventually.

Carslie has provisions for campers. $30 for the whole weekend. If I do this, thats where I'll be!

Vortex
02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Went to the RV show in Dallas last weekend. Some really nice interesting stuff. You can get a hell of a trailer for around 20-25k that you can tow with a standard truck. That said, I still think its cheaper and less of a pain in the azz to stay in hotels. There are lots of em and even if you stay in top of the line ones its cheaper than owning a trailer year round and only using it 3-4 times a year.