PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me Mercury, for I have sinned....

wickedmerc
02-27-2011, 08:41 PM
For your reading pleasure...a true story (sorta):

-Before we start padre, you're not a car guy are you?
Why yes, my son, I do love cars.
-Crap....er, crud!
What has happened my son?
-Well, it's been about 8 months since my last...oil check.
I see.
-While out Saturday driving "spirited" as I often do, I noticed an odd sound under the hood.
Odd sound, my son?
-Yep, sounded like shakin' some kidney beans in a coffee can.
What did you do, my son?
-Well, when I got home, I popped the hood and looked around. Rattling seemed to be coming from under the intake.
Could you see what was wrong?
-No, but I continued to look around. Then, like a lightning bolt from the Heavens, I got the brilliant idea to check my oil.
What did you find?
-Nothing.
Nothing, my son?
-Nothing! Bone dry stick.
You were beating the Jesus (sign-of-cross) out of your car with very little oil in it???
-As it turns out padre, yes. But I let her sit and took another car to go get oil. Smart, right? I bought 3qts of Mobil1 5w-20.
After you added the quart, all was OK right?
-Well...not exactly. Ya see, all 3 quarts went in. <audible gasp> That was some rattle I heard when I started her up again.
Dude, I think I'm gonna be sick.
-Dude?? What happened to "my son"?
You lost that a few minutes ago!
-Oh. You wanna hear about the 1st-2nd trans slip I just picked-up Saturday too??
Get outta my confessional!!!!!

Whaaa, whaaa, whaaaa, whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
UGH! :shake:

Pat
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
For your penance......buy one aluminator n/a crate engine $7,500, one rebuilt tranny, $3,500, pay for installation and other charges $2,000. Go and sin no more Dude, err,,, my son.

visionmercury
02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
i read this to my wife at my grandmothers house "which is a die hard cathloic" and she stood n the kitchen shaking her head at me smirking. as we were leaving she told me that sounded like something i would do :)

Bigdogjim
02-28-2011, 09:12 PM
OK! After 8 months your low on oil? So where did it go? Do ever look under the car for leaks?

I have gone longer than 8 months with no oil change and no problem.

Motorhead350
02-28-2011, 09:35 PM

How many miles did your car see in those eight months? :rolleyes:

Shora
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
OK! After 8 months your low on oil? So where did it go? Do ever look under the car for leaks?

I believe some Marauders "burn" oil. Especially, but not limited, to those with "smoke on start up".

I remember many quoting Ford Dealers saying that 1 qt. ever 1,000 miles is acceptable by "Ford's Standards".

Mac-MerC
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I believe some Marauders "burn" oil. Especially, but not limited, to those with "smoke on start up".

I remember many quoting Ford Dealers saying that 1 qt. ever 1,000 miles is acceptable by "Ford's Standards".

i believe this
every time im due for an oil change its low... but i never notice any stains in the driveway like im leaking. ive even placed cardboard under the car and let it sit a few days an when i checked still no spots

sociopath001
03-01-2011, 02:38 AM
This is what happened to my car last year only it was 4 months and around 5000 mile's and i do not leak oil. Never had a problem before with the oil burning so bad.

Bigdogjim
03-01-2011, 04:16 AM
How many miles did your car see in those eight months? :rolleyes:

Maybe 5,000......................... ....

rayjay
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I change mine once a year whether it needs it or not. I usually get all or most of the 6 qts back. I do have the occaisonal blue smoke on startup. When I pull her out of hibernation, hopefully next month, she will receive six fresh qts of Royal Purple 5W-20, provided I can find said product.

wickedmerc
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I have an update to my whimsical musing.....

any guesses????

Yep, done. :bigcry:

I'm a nice guy but have the ability to pull some real a-hole moves sometimes. Not checking my oil for that long when I know I have puffs at start-up was just not smart. I'm supposed to be a "car guy"?!?
Not sure what I'm gonna do now...better half is not amused :shake:

wickedmerc
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
This is what happened to my car last year only it was 4 months and around 5000 mile's and i do not leak oil. Never had a problem before with the oil burning so bad.

You know what man, that made me feel much better. Thank you. I feel like I'm losing my mind through stupidity over here.

Only 64k miles on the car. I had a little over 4k miles since my last oil change, Mobil1 full synthetic. The car didn't drip a drop of oil, unless it did while I was driving then magically stopped when it sat for days on end. Yeah, there was some smoke on start-up but after starting, I never saw any smoke...even under heavy acceleration. By the time I heard the "death rattle", I was down several quarts....oil pressure was unchanged (~65psi) and no idiot light. Even my '72 Olds gave me an idiot light when the level got low (pressure would drop). Total surprise.

Still...no excuse for going that long without checking fluids. :nono:
I wish I could sneak a swear-word in here I'm so pissed........ For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge!!!!!!!! :mad2:

sociopath001
03-02-2011, 03:48 AM
I was told it is the timing chain, but won't know till i can get the cash to fix it. I only get the "death rattle" under load can't really hear it when she idles. She's been sitting for a year now due to being layed off a few weeks before she went:(. I know how you feel about the better half not being happy.

wickedmerc
03-02-2011, 06:26 AM
I was told it is the timing chain, but won't know till i can get the cash to fix it. I only get the "death rattle" under load can't really hear it when she idles. She's been sitting for a year now due to being layed off a few weeks before she went:(. I know how you feel about the better half not being happy.

I feel your pain man. :(

What you describe sounds like mine. When I first heard it, I thought it was a low-octane ping. I quickly realized that was not true. At start-up, bad rattle for a second (last few starts were weak, battery is new). Car would smooth out at idle and was actually quiet. If I revved it up you'd hear it for a second. Under load you hear it too. Problem was, it was getting louder, fast!

I had a Ford mechanic standing by when they started the motor back up after an oil change. He jumped back and shouted "Shut it off!". Immediate diagnosis was that I "spun a bearing"...motor will need rebuild at least.

Good luck with your saga.

wickedmerc
03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Oh Sociopath001......
that Ford mechanic warned my heavily against driving it at all. He assured me that something was broken inside (which was getting kinda obvious) and for now, all the pieces were still where they're supposed to be. Once 1 piece gets loose...it's all over. White smoke, engine will seize and I'd need a whole new motor for sure. As it stands now, I may only need the short block. Be careful.

CBT
03-02-2011, 07:12 AM
By the time I heard the "death rattle", I was down several quarts....oil pressure was unchanged (~65psi) and no idiot light. Even my '72 Olds gave me an idiot light when the level got low (pressure would drop). Total surprise.

You realize the stock guage is just for show, right?

sociopath001
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I was told not to drive it so just been sitting in the garage all year:(

wickedmerc
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
You realize the stock guage is just for show, right?

Why no...no I don't. I guess I just learned the hard way.

wickedmerc
03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I was told not to drive it so just been sitting in the garage all year:(

While that sucks for sure.....at least it's in a garage! :up:

wickedmerc
03-03-2011, 06:49 AM

That is the basis of my anger...I have no idea! I have receipts for 3 oil changes in the last 10k miles (Mobil1 full synthetic).

I've owned old cars (pre-1974) for my entire driving career. I used to check my oil monthly because the older engines can use it up (ie. worn rings, leaking gaskets, etc...). You expect that. Once I started into "new" cars, I'll admit I became spoiled and rarely checked fluids, unless I thought there was an issue. 94 BMW (actually had a leak so I was on that), 95 Maxima, 01 Infiniti, 08 Acadia; rarely checked, all no problems.

My MM has 64k on it and, besides a puff at start-up, I had no indication oil was being consumed. The 1st hint I got was when it was too late...death rattle. No lights, no oil pressure drop, nothing! I've read stories from others telling a similar story.

With all these sensors and monitoring systems in modern vehicles, how can a car go a few quarts low on oil and there be no warning to the driver??? :confused: