PDA

View Full Version : Frank Buckles last WWI veteran has passed

ROCOB
03-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Very good article about the life of a man who saw a lot during his time with us. Well worth reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/28/AR2011022806538.html

guspech750
03-01-2011, 04:36 AM
That is so amazing. Hard to believe he even had a Facebbook page. Just think. He had seen it all from 1901 to 2011. Amazing!!

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

CBT
03-01-2011, 06:40 AM
......and another generation of veterans slips into oblivion.....
:flag:

Black Dynamite
03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I was pretty saddened when I heard about his passing. As a historian, I would like to point out this this is a fascinating little piece of time. WW1 has now officially passed from memory to history.

RIP Frank Buckles, thank you for your service.

......and another generation of veterans slips into oblivion.....
:flag:

As long as subsequent generations continue to learn from them, they will never slip into oblivion.

Now, the problem is getting kids interested in history!

CBT
03-01-2011, 09:03 AM
I was pretty saddened when I heard about his passing. As a historian, I would like to point out this this is a fascinating little piece of time. WW1 has now officially passed from memory to history.

RIP Frank Buckles, thank you for your service.

As long as subsequent generations continue to learn from them, they will never slip into oblivion.

Now, the problem is getting kids interested in history!

True, true. I think it is just like when we were in school, though. Some just do not find it even remotely interesting enough to hold thier attention, and then kids like me were fascinated by it. My oldest daughter (17) surprises me when we watch jeopardy and cash cab, she does great at history questions, I'm proud of her.

rayjay
03-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Truly saddening, may he RIP. :flag: