PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck..

Vostok
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Took her into the Lincoln/Mercury dealership yesterday to let them figure out why it's been misfiring and running rough.

This is what happened...

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8931/27943216.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3547/17242545.jpg

:(

Somehow when they were pulling it into the garage the massive door came crashing down onto the roof...

It's going to need a new roof for sure. Going to be a lot of work.

They are assuming full liability obviously. The manager came out and was really embarrassed that this had happened and sincerely apologized to me and said he would "make it right". I trust they will but this is still unfortunate.

They gave me a 2009 Lincoln MKz as a rental car...very nice I must say.

I already have plans to take advantage of this situation as much as I can and walk away paying 0$ for everything including my original repair costs.

I'm hoping somehow that they will need to repaint the entire car because of this but maybe thats just wishful thinking. :P

twin03
03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow...At least it happened at L/M, and they will own up to it all. A friend of mines had a shop cause damage to his vehicle like that too. My friend is still waiting on his car to be fixed.

fastblackmerc
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow!

I worked at a dealership for 10 years and have seen my share of incidents....

Wrecked cars, doors ripped off by lifts, van tipped over by a lift, etc.

Press them for everything you can. They have insurance to cover these things.

Joe Walsh
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM
HOLY $H*T!

:eek:

HTF did they manage to pull that bone headed maneuver??

Probably the 'lot jockey' and the mechanic were "Effin" around with each other.....and this is what happened.....:mad2:

Jeez that's going to be interesting to see how they fix that roof and make it look smooooooth again.

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
How about some dealer name-dropping? This is really unfortunate.

Vostok
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Ogden Lincoln Mercury in Westmont, IL

hwy73
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Bad luck?...Unfortunate?....That's just an F U on the part of the grunts that did it. There is no excuse for something like that, especially when they are charging you $100+ an hour to work on your car. I probably would have tore the place apart.

:mad2:

TAKEDOWN
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
OuCh, but at least it can be saved!

MOTOWN
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
too bad this had to happen, at least there going to make it right.

Joe Walsh
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Bad luck?...Unfortunate?....That's just an F U on the part of the grunts that did it. There is no excuse for something like that, especially when they are charging you $100+ an hour to work on your car. I probably would have tore the place apart.
:mad2:

Yep....I would've gone APE-$H*T on the Service Manager!
You might see that kind of crap at Jiffy-Lube, but a L-M dealership?

Sorry to see what they did to your Marauder....hope they make it PERFECT again.

Bigdogjim
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Well You got yhe proof they "did it" so now looking into getting the repairs made.

Tuff break for sure.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cobra25
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Sorry to here about your bad luck. I hope they fix it to your likeing.

Got_1
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
i've been there. We have an automatic car wash bay at work (ford dealer) and after the repair has been done, we drive the car in, it gets washed, then backed out. Well each tech has a wash bay door remote that they keep in their box/pocket and well you can guess what happened when i was backing out of the wash bay in a windstar. looked similar to that pic but the rear windscreen was shattered as well.

S!!t happens and it sucks when it does. at least they're covering it 100%. could be worse

Vostok
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I know going ******* feels like the right thing to do but thats not going to get me anything. I think the goal here is to make them feel bad for me rather than leave a bad taste in their mouth if I want to get anything extra out of this. For instance I need an alignment and maybe they will give me a year of free oil changes or something? :)

RacerX
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Can you borrow a Nitrous kit from someone and take the MKZ to the track? I'll bring the tires! :beer:

Vostok
03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Can you borrow a Nitrous kit from someone and take the MKZ to the track? I'll bring the tires! :beer:

It's a FWD 3.5L :P

Still very quick though nonetheless.

Shaijack
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice cars my son-in-law has one but that does not make him a good guy. Sorry for you mishaps. I know how you feel, had a show car 34 ford and a 32 backed into the front at a gas station. The police had to pry the gun out of my hands. PPKs 9MM short. I was a policeman at the time.

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Make sure you get a life time warranty on the paint work. ;)

JOEMERC
03-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Man i would have gone postal,dont you love incompetent people. Hope the work gets done right maybe you can get entire car painted from these clowns.

scruff
03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
awh a little bit of work with a dent puller and some Bondo and they will have it looking like new in no time

Vostok
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM
awh a little bit of work with a dent puller and some Bondo and they will have it looking like new in no time

If they use a dent puller and bondo on it i'm gonna be pulling someones teeth out. I want a new roof. It's worse looking in person..they better not try to pull that $h1t. :mad2: :mad:

scruff
03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
make sure you stay on top of this i would insist a new roof also but we all know how the insurance companys work to there advantage when they can,, best of luck my friend stick it to them

1 Bad Merc
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Make sure the paint matches up....it might pay to have them paint the hood and trunk at the same time they do the roof. Not sure if you have any of the notorius black paint problems but if you do this would be the time to have it painted. Let them work you out a deal.

Brad

F8LBITEva
03-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I dont think it needs a new roof. They can repair that. Trust me you dont want a new roof. Youll have rattles from the headliner and pillar panels forever. Theyll pull the dent out, hammer the high spots and then mud it till its smooth. A whole car repaint wont be necessary because you dont have to blend black paint. Good luck and just tell them you will not take the car back until you are completely satisfied.

a_d_a_m
03-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Make sure you get a life time warranty on the paint work. Great advice, especially with this dealership.
My car spent its first five years in the Lisle area and was serviced at Ogden. I have a stack of receipts from them. While in possession of the previous owner, the roof paint was "fixed" under warranty. (from my OASIS: 6/26/03 @17105 miles repaired paint on roof [paint flaw])

This "repair" is the worst-looking part of the car - the paint is blistered in several places, has been since 86k miles and December '08 (probably earlier than that).

In the next couple years, I will likely have to sand it down to bare metal and paint it again.

LIGHTNIN1
03-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Bondos is going to be deep on that one. They should fix the misfiring problem for free to win you as a future customer.

Vostok
03-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Bondos is going to be deep on that one. They should fix the misfiring problem for free to win you as a future customer.

I'm still on warranty for the repair but I have no intention of paying my $100 deductible. They should be paying that at the least.

Vostok
03-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Make sure the paint matches up....it might pay to have them paint the hood and trunk at the same time they do the roof. Not sure if you have any of the notorius black paint problems but if you do this would be the time to have it painted. Let them work you out a deal.

Brad

There was some sun boils on the roof which will be taken care of with this incident fortunately. The only other place I've been having paint issues is on the bumper. The paint started to crack and a big quarter sized chunk came off of it recently when I washed it :(

Bluerauder
03-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Jeeeeeeeeez !!! :( I must say that you are certainly taking this rather well. It may have been a "freak" accident; but I bet this happens more often than we realize. Last time I was in the dealers for new tires and a brake job, the MM was sitting in the service lane 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the bay and I thought about someone dropping the door accidentally. Fortunately, it didn't happen.

Glad to hear that the dealer is gonna do right by you.

I need to get my roof repainted too. Maybe I should head on over to the dealer and park under their service door. ;)

Remind me to stay away from Chicago. :P

Spectragod
03-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Well, let me be the first to say it..... that should buff right out!

And.............. dibs on the floormats!

Ok, with that out of the way, a black car, with that roof damage, it will fix, but..... I would replace it, I would normally say not to, but on a Panther platform, they are pretty easy, all the welds are on the outside of surrounding panels, as opposed to other vehicles that have the edges buried within surrounding panels.

It will be time consuming to fix, front rear glass pulled out, headliner removed along with a lot of interior panels etc. Keep on them, show up at the shop and take lots of pictures. Have them do a total repaint or at least discount it for your troubles.

Good luck with your repairs and keep us posted.

Davesvt2000
03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
No need to fix it, just go over it with a faux carriage roof.

Mercury Marader Park Lane edition !! :flamer:

justbob
03-06-2011, 08:10 AM
This sucks man. One of the chain links came out on one of our shop doors just last week and smashed right into the bed of our dump truck while the guy was pulling in. Nothing that anyone could have done, it was an accident. I would bargain for a repair over a replacement myself, at MY choice of body shops, go for diminished value and add that to the savings from not replacing the panel and apply it towards a complete repaint in Grand National black and interior detail.

Hope this goes smoothly and quick.

Joe Walsh
03-06-2011, 08:28 AM
No need to fix it, just go over it with a faux carriage roof.

Mercury Marauder Park Lane edition !! :flamer:

Unfortunately, some of those hideous abortions DO actually exist!

Someone posted a link to one that was for sale...complete with vinyl roof and chrome trim 'accents' plastered all over it....:puke:

They seem to be a Florida "blue hair" specialty.

Good luck with the roof repair.
If they punch it back out and bondo it, they better have one hell of a bodyman.
It's very tough to make that large of an area smooth, with a compound curve at that, plus it's on top reflecting the sky.......:shake:

Vostok
03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Finally got the call about the repair today. The whole roof needs to be replaced. They said it's going to take about 2 days so it will hopefully be done by Thursday. Then they can finally address what I brought it in for. Might not get it back until next week.

Mac-MerC
03-08-2011, 07:18 PM
dog the hell outta that MKz

LANDY
03-08-2011, 07:39 PM
thats sux man, dont let them bondo it.

tbone
03-08-2011, 11:25 PM
thats sux man, dont let them bondo it.

I think all metal repairs require some bondo. I always wonder at those Overhauling shows. Definite "Bondo Queens"! Look nice in the end though! Just don't tap on anything, or breathe too hard on it!:shake:

CBT
03-09-2011, 07:18 AM
just don't tap on anything, or breathe too hard on it!:shake:

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah.....

justbob
03-10-2011, 07:08 AM
No way Tom. Foose and his crew, not to mention the top notch vendors would never allow that. Now, pimp my ride anybody??? That is an example of a car you DO NOT hit pot holes with!

CBT
03-10-2011, 07:11 AM
No way Tom. Foose and his crew, not to mention the top notch vendors would never allow that. Now, pimp my ride anybody??? That is an example of a car you DO NOT hit pot holes with!

Yeah, when your shows major sponsor is Bondo, you don't do "where are they now?" episodes.

Got_1
03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, when your shows major sponsor is Bondo, you don't do "where are they now?" episodes.

i always wanted to see "where are they now" episodes of pimp my ride. i thought it would make for a good laugh.

rayjay
03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Just saw this. Hope it works out for you. Back in the early 80s I had to have my car towed in to where my Dad was a tech. Numb nuts tow operator didn't hook the car up properly and it fell off the truck into a utility pole. Since I was not present they thought they could get away with it. It was a nightmare. Tow company owner tried to attack me at the dealership for calling him a liar. Long story short was they ended up fixing it. The car was never right and I traded it two months later. Lost three PL days as I was out of town from where I lived. :mad2: still PO'd all these years later. This mutt was so intrenched in the police towing business in that county that I couldn't get to him even with my connections. Had it been here, he never would have towed another car for any PD ever again. I've trash talked his business to anyone that would listen out there over the years. Hopefully I cost him more than the 3 days time he cost me.