PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank straps are kicking my A$$

CobraSVT657
03-05-2011, 08:42 AM
So yesterday I dropped the tank down a few inches to make getting the fuel pump assembly out past the exhaust a little easier.. I'm kicking myself now because after installing the GT pump and raising the tank back up with the trans jack, I cant seem to get enough threads to come through the straps for the nuts to catch onto. I've done this ALOT of times on mustangs and other cars, but last night kicked my ass.

Any tips or tricks I'm over looking?

Thanks

fastblackmerc
03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Are the straps in the right positions?

musclemerc
03-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I do not have any tips to get it back on, but if you have to do the FP again undo the bolts to the tailpipe and the the mount just after the muffler and you will have plenty of room to get the pump out.

Good Luck!

ShadyLurker
03-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Can you get to the hardware store and get some longer bolts?

CobraSVT657
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Are the straps in the right positions?

Yeppers... the tank and straps line up perfectly to where they were.

I do not have any tips to get it back on, but if you have to do the FP again undo the bolts to the tailpipe and the the mount just after the muffler and you will have plenty of room to get the pump out.

Good Luck!

Defiantly would have done that knowing what I know now... lol

Can you get to the hardware store and get some longer bolts?

Could... the bolts seem to be clipped in... opposite of a mustang.. they have the nuts clipped... (thats what she said)

massacre
03-05-2011, 09:34 AM
For some reason I remember having studs, which I thought were bolts because of the corrosion...
After removing the nuts, I threaded the studs up into the clips, then the straps, and then the nuts held the straps on.

YMMV?

ImpalaSlayer
03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
like musclemerc said, no reason to drop the tank. the hardest part of the fuel pump swap is getting the one plug undone. i just cut the SOB and put another plug on.

CobraSVT657
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
For some reason I remember having studs, which I thought were bolts because of the corrosion...
After removing the nuts, I threaded the studs up into the clips, then the straps, and then the nuts held the straps on.

YMMV?

I'm going to go another round with it today... maybe get my cousin over to lend a extra pair of hands.

like musclemerc said, no reason to drop the tank. the hardest part of the fuel pump swap is getting the one plug undone. i just cut the SOB and put another plug on.

After going through this I would have loosened the exhaust.. but figured with an almost empty tank and as easy as the mustangs are to do it would be quick and easy....:rofl:

FordNut
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Many threads on here have told of this "gotcha". If you unscrew the straps all the way you'll never get them back together, you have to get new bolts/studs. Most of the directions on here will say to loosen the bolts enough to drop the tank slightly so you can get access to the plug on top of the fuel tank on the passenger's side.

CobraSVT657
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Many threads on here have told of this "gotcha". If you unscrew the straps all the way you'll never get them back together, you have to get new bolts/studs. Most of the directions on here will say to loosen the bolts enough to drop the tank slightly so you can get access to the plug on top of the fuel tank on the passenger's side.

I guess its going to be another trip to the hardware store... :lol:

massacre
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I replaced my gas tank with a brand-new one, new straps too.

Like I said, I think they might actually be studs, when I removed the nuts, the studs backed right out with the nuts.
Once the nuts/studs were separated from each other, and the studs threaded in, there was enough thread on the studs for the straps to fit.

Dennis Reinhart
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
So yesterday I dropped the tank down a few inches to make getting the fuel pump assembly out past the exhaust a little easier.. I'm kicking myself now because after installing the GT pump and raising the tank back up with the trans jack, I cant seem to get enough threads to come through the straps for the nuts to catch onto. I've done this ALOT of times on mustangs and other cars, but last night kicked my ass.

Any tips or tricks I'm over looking?

Thanks

Yes you are missing the trick, which is the nuts at the top of the straps are actually on studs, the studs have to be backed out because when they were installed the nuts will screw the studs in, so when you took the off the nuts the stud is to short to get the straps back on with the nuts, once you back the studs off it will be fine you can double nut the studs and back them out with a squirt of WD40:beer:

massacre
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
^^ so basically you are repeating what I'm saying.......

Dennis Reinhart
03-05-2011, 10:26 AM
^^ so basically you are repeating what I'm saying.......

What ever floats your boat.;)

CobraSVT657
03-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks ALOT guys... Going to run to NAPA a grab a belt for the Eaton and get that damn tank back up in there. :beer:

B.C. Bake
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Right on the money! And it is a "gotcha" you only drop the tank slightly. I've done this on a few cars now, but unfortunately new bolts/studs. I think my first advice was from you "FordNut" if I recall, well anyway you'll get it, and be satisfied one way or another good luck.:burnout:

fastblackmerc
03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Ford recommends you replace the studs & nuts. The new studs have a break-away portion.

FordNut
03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Ford recommends you replace the studs & nuts. The new studs have a break-away portion.

And that's the real trick. The old studs are too short now.