PDA

View Full Version : Help with 03 Impala

SID210SA
03-08-2011, 06:47 AM
The better half was driving the Wimpala when it decided to pee all over itself. We got it towed home and the radiator is cracked....well I got most of everything out but I cannot get out the damn thing because of the lower transmission line into the radiator. I got the upper one removed with out much issue, however I cannot for the life of me get the lower one off.

It has a type of cotter pin, that I have removed and it still will not come loose.

Any ideas from the collective?

RacerX
03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
There's a lot of Tech DIY knowledge here:

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-7th-gen-discussion/

babbage
03-08-2011, 10:59 AM
It has a type of cotter pin, that I have removed and it still will not come loose.

Any ideas from the collective?

For metal things that won't come loose I like to put a propane torch on the fitting for 20 seconds or so. Then tap it out / Twist it out.

SID210SA
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
There's a lot of Tech DIY knowledge here:

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-7th-gen-discussion/

Thank you sir.....how could I not realize there is prolly a car forum for every car out there.....not that I knew we had a 7th gen anyway....

Thanks so much...this will help emensley!!

SID210SA
03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
For metal things that won't come loose I like to put a propane torch on the fitting for 20 seconds or so. Then tap it out / Twist it out.

I think I would have to have some practice first......I might burn something up beyond recognition.

fastblackmerc
03-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I assume your using a line wrench to get it loose.

Check that....

How about this: There are quick connect clips on the fitting. Simply use a screw driver to press up on the side of the clip and you should be able to remove it. Then the lines just pop out.

SID210SA
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I assume your using a line wrench to get it loose.

Check that....

How about this: There are quick connect clips on the fitting. Simply use a screw driver to press up on the side of the clip and you should be able to remove it. Then the lines just pop out.

Yes sir...that is what I did to the top one....the bottom one I am pretty sure I got it off....however I never saw the clip after I attempted to pry it off....so I dont know if it is still on there or not...have to get some better light on it and maybe a small mirror.

SID210SA
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Okay...so the Impy is taking the Marauders parking spot in the garage and the Marauder is taking the Suburban's spot in the garage...so the burb has been outside for a week now....still cant get the lower trans line off the rad....I got the pin out the first try but it wont budge....I am ready to just push it out into the street and be done with it.....arrgghh

RacerX
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Use the Marauder to push it out...;)

Mr. Man
03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
You might stop in at your local Chevy dealer and ask one of the mechanics if there is a secret to getting the pipe off.

scruff
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM
do you have a hack saw lol vise grips? i hate working on new chevs

SID210SA
03-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Finally got it off...new rad should be in tomorrow....flushing out system and put in new thermostat and hoses.

LilCop2002
03-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Mike,

The guys at clubgp.com/newforum would have been a great hand. They are very similar to the grand prix.