PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mustang GT or 2005 Pontiac GTO?

freakstatus
03-09-2011, 10:17 AM
The miles are beginning to pile up on the MM so I'm on the slow hunt for a possible new daily driver mainly for the 15 mile work commute.

I'm torn between these two. I've always loved Mustangs, but theres just something about that GTO. They both sell for roughly the same used (around $15K). And yes I know the GTO would be a pig on gas.

Thought I'd take it to the board to get some thoughts.:cool:

freakstatus
03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
And, no, I wouldn't be getting rid of the MM. Not in this lifetime.:D

SC Cheesehead
03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Ford Motor products FTW.

de minimus
03-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I think that you really want a PT Cruiser, but just won't admit it.

Have you considered another panther platform for a DD? I just got a skookum deal on a 2010 Town Car.

freakstatus
03-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Have you considered another panther platform for a DD? I just got a skookum deal on a 2010 Town Car.

I'm probably going to fall out of favor with the crowd here, but I've never really cared much for any other panther platform cars. Weird I know....

Looky here:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2252721976.html

Mr. Man
03-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I followed a GTO a few days ago. It had an aftermarket exhaust system and I have to admit it sounded sweet. I always liked the Chevy exhaust note over Ford but I think the Mustang is better looking. GTO looks to much like a commuter car. Better aftermarket for the Mustang too.

de minimus
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm probably going to fall out of favor with the crowd here, but I've never really cared much for any other panther platform cars. Weird I know....

Looky here:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2252721976.html

Heathen!
The GTO does look nice, but check on the ICBC website & links to see if it can be imported. I had a friend buy an Audi in Seattle which he couldn't bring into Canada.

Smalldogg/03mm
03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Man u r going to get in that GTO and it is no way u will think about that mm... 6.1 or is it the 5.9. Either r I've driven both.. One thing i like about the GTO is when u put it in gear it drops in when back in park it comes back up.. Sweet.... I would any day go with the GTO over the stange... only thing u may forget about the mm.. :)...don't do it, get the pony... Ha.. :)...

J D
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I was just downtown the other day and saw an awesome 07 Black GT, and I could not stop thinking how great my car and it would look side by side with each other in the driveway.

But on the other hand if you're looking for something as rare, collectible and head turning as the MM, go for the GTO. Either way you'll be happy with your DD muscle, but I'd go for the 'stang for matching fords.

ctrlraven
03-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Actually the GTO won't be a pig on gas. With the LS2 motor and a 6 spd manual transmission if you do a lot of highway/freeway driving you will get 25-30mpg. Just a matter if you drive it sane. I would pick the GTO if I had a choose between it and the 05 Mustang.

Got_1
03-09-2011, 11:11 AM
IMO the GTO looks way too much like a 2-door grand am. i can appreciate the power but i do not like the looks at all. i'd go for a mustang. If you end up with a manual gearbox mustang i would be worried about losing interest in the MM. as much as i love my MM, a manual mustang would be WAY more fun to drive.

RR|Suki
03-09-2011, 11:15 AM
GTO is a better car. Better motor, better interior quality etc. It might just be me, but interior is one of the most important considerations when I look at cars. You spend so much time inside, and the interior materials etc in the GTO are much better than the Stang.

Got_1
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
GTO is a better car. Better motor, better interior quality etc. It might just be me, but interior is one of the most important considerations when I look at cars. You spend so much time inside, and the interior materials etc in the GTO are much better than the Stang.

that surprises me actually. I have never been in a GTO but i have been in grand am/prix's, sunfires and GM pickups and have found their interiors less than average in quality and comfort.

dohc324ci
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I vote S197 Platform 05-11 Mustang.

IMO 05-10 is really the better bang for you buck. Yeah the GTO has a nice LS2, Euro interior but there is no mistaking a Mustang for a focus. I am a big GM fan but the GTO is just executed wrong they should have named it a Grand Prix GXP. Not crazy about the styling and the car is heavy. Compared the Mustang is lighter, 3v torque y, 05 - 09 interior light years ahead of the prior generation (I had/have both no comparison). The Mustang is built really well and feels quality...and after market is well no comparison.

Look at an 05-09 GT Premium package with the upgraded interior; or better yet a used 2010 the interior is up to par or better than the GTO.

TAKEDOWN
03-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I like the Mustang, but I guess why not a Pontiac GTO... It's limited and no longer exists and in a cool way like our MARAUDERs!

RR|Suki
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
that surprises me actually. I have never been in a GTO but i have been in grand am/prix's, sunfires and GM pickups and have found their interiors less than average in quality and comfort.

The GTO is not based on any other US platform, they brought it over from Australia. The interior in those cars is above and beyond anything in any other pontiac at that time. Hell above and beyond most other GMs at that time.

Joe Walsh
03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't think I could ever fit, nor buy a "jeely bean" GTO.
Bland as bland can be....:snore:
Now, if you had mentioned a Pontiac G8 GXP......I'd be all over that!

I can't get too fired up about any late model Mustangs with the 4.6L V8.
Too much like our Marauders....fun and peppy, but they need mods (blower) to be really fast.

dohc324ci
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
The GTO is not based on any other US platform, they brought it over from Australia. The interior in those cars is above and beyond anything in any other pontiac at that time. Hell above and beyond most other GMs at that time.

Once upon a time I really wanted one the 2004 model only had single exhaust:confused: GTO with a premium 10k over MSRP:mad2:...they fixed this in 2005-2006 models with a revised hood that looked neat. The interior is (Holden) Euro nice no doubt if you do look at one 05-06 is the only way to go.

dohc324ci
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't think I could ever fit, nor buy a "jeely bean" GTO.
Bland as bland can be....:snore:
Now, if you had mentioned a Pontiac G8 GXP......I'd be all over that!

I can't get too fired up about any late model Mustangs with the 4.6L V8.
Too much like our Marauders....fun and peppy, but they need mods (blower) to be really fast.

Yes time to start looking at a GXP LS3:bows:

MrBluGruv
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Once upon a time I really wanted one the 2004 model only had single exhaust:confused: GTO with a premium 10k over MSRP:mad2:...they fixed this in 2005-2006 models with a revised hood that looked neat. The interior is (Holden) Euro nice no doubt if you do look at one 05-06 is the only way to go.

not to mention 2004 models had an unbelievable amount of electrical problems. 2005-2006 may as well be a totally different car.

I test drove an '06 a few months ago, UNBELIEVABLE power and torque through the entire RPM range. Also cruised really well, I felt right at home resting my left arm on the door with the window down, something that isn't as comfy on a Mustang. Quite drivable when you aren't driving like a wild person too, it's a streetable dragster in stock trim the way it feels.

Mustang is a great solid car, but GTO is above and beyond most everything offered for the '05-'06 year model from just about anyone. I'd be more interested in research for repair costs of a GTO vs a Mustang though, both will be fun regardless but I'm sure one will be more costly if repairs come up.

RR|Suki
03-09-2011, 02:21 PM

The 04 didn't have single exhaust, it had true dual exhaust, both of the pipes exit on the same side. I am rather shocked that anyone likes the interior on the Trans Am better than the GTO... in fact I've never heard anyone say they like the interior in any Firebird, WS6 or otherwise. Have you been in both?

freakstatus
03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Heathen!
The GTO does look nice, but check on the ICBC website & links to see if it can be imported. I had a friend buy an Audi in Seattle which he couldn't bring into Canada.

I saw one cruising around in Langley last summer. That bright orange color. Followed him around for a couple of blocks just to see the car. I think he thought I was a cop....

Jon01
03-09-2011, 03:59 PM
05+ GTO>Mustang any day of the week.
Mustang's build quality sucks compared to the GTO's. Interiors in them is amazing tractable. I would have used mine for a daily driver in a heartbeat, but it was intended to be a garage queen from day 1.
LS2's are twice the motor the 4.6's were.
A weekend spent installing a cam, headers and a FAST intake and you're 450+ at the tire and smiling as you roll the tires through 3rd gear.
Mine was modded as suggested above and routinely got 23-24 on the highway. 15 around town, but you can imagine how I drove it. Stock was 26 hwy, 18 around town with an M6, but it was only stock for about 1200 miles after it left the showroom floor. I'm sure mileage would have gone up a bit as things broke in.

guspech750
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I would buy another 2005-06 GTO in a heart beat. Besides the 6.0L LS2 and awesome fit and finished interior. You can easily fit four 6'+ tall adults in it!! I do remember some of the 2004-06 GTO's had some issues with the front tires rubbing on the struts. Check out LS2GTO forum and there's a few more I can't think right at this moment to find out the tire/strut issue.

And with just bolt on and a decent head and cam package. They make some great power.

But again I would buy another in a heart beat.

And the seats are ***** amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

burkem
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Get a 05 GT and you will have my exact same combo. 2003 Marauder as my daily and a 2005 Mustang GT as my weekend driver.

PonyUP
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
I had an 07 GT that was my only car for awhile, and I loved every minute of it. The only part I didn't love was, it wasn't the 5.0 so I got that for my garage queen with the Marauder as the DD.

I ahve not had a good experience with Pontiac's, so I definitely bias, But the GTO is not a car I would want to drive. It's looks were basic and like a dozen other cars on the road. Sure it's got some get up and go, but have a car that looks good and gets up and goes, thats a win

I say Mustang and don't look back

jerrym3
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Drive them back to back, and pick the one you like.

Nobody's opinion matters except yours.

But, I'm betting you pick the GTO.

Though it may blend into the background too easily, real car guys will know what a GTO is, and that means a lot. And, you will not see yourself coming and going..

Jon01
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
The strut rub issue was isolated to a few 06's - they were tightened down to tight on the ship over from OZ and it collapsed some suspension bushings. They should have all had this worked out by now as the cars with that issue all had it pretty much right off of the showroom floor.

Though it may blend into the background too easily, real car guys will know what a GTO is, and that means a lot. And, you will not see yourself coming and going..

This guy speaks the truth.
There were no V6 GTO's. They all ran strong and they aren't a dime a dozen. They'll always have some value to them as a result of their limited supply.

Juice
03-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I'd take a GTO over a Mustang any day. I bought the MM because there aren't that many of them, and Mudstains are everywhere. I'd definitely be on the lookout for a 6.0 GTO though, not the 5.7.

LANDY
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
i would take the GTO over any GT 05 and up

dohc324ci
03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
The 04 didn't have single exhaust, it had true dual exhaust, both of the pipes exit on the same side. I am rather shocked that anyone likes the interior on the Trans Am better than the GTO... in fact I've never heard anyone say they like the interior in any Firebird, WS6 or otherwise. Have you been in both?

Wow shocked you care so much? Anyway how did you get I like the interior of the TA better than the GTO in that last post....are you sure your a JD...aspiring perhaps.....haha just bustin your balls man it aint that deep.

I like the TA better because its styling (snarling brute). The Firehawks were the ones I drooled over more understated than the WS6 TA. The new iteration of the GTO isnt Americana of the Muscle car years (why use the GTO nomenclature) its more of a modern coupe sleek and ment to be a alternative to a euro coupe (3 Series). Should have been called a Pontiac G7 coupe GXP or something. If I want a sleek sophisticated coupe with quality interior, taut suspension hmmm I would get an M3/AMG....of some premium make of that sort. In the end who cares I like all V8 muscle cars it just comes down to personal preference really. Some have a high value for quality, others like the iconic history of Mustang, Camaro, Corvettes...its Americana and IMO opinion the GTO isnt. Think Challenger then yeah that's what GM should have done.

Vortex
03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I had an 04 with the LS1 and it was plenty fast and got better mileage than my Marauder does. The LS2 is a better motor.

RR|Suki
03-09-2011, 09:12 PM
WAnyway how did you get I like the interior of the TA better than the GTO in that last post....are you sure your a JD...aspiring perhaps.....haha just bustin your balls man it aint that deep.

Umm, maybe the line of conversation... the statement you quoted and the one it quoted AND the one that one quoted only had to do with the interior of the GTO... and the heading of your response was "I like the TA better..." that's like quoting a conversation about the taste of candy and responding I like x better and expecting that the quoted person knows you actually meant the smell of the candy...

dohc324ci
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
I was actually agreeing with your post of the GTO interior the best that GM had to offer hence i said "The interior is (Holden) Euro nice no doubt if you do look at one 05-06 is the only way to go."

The heading was just that I like the TA better than the GTO nothing more.