PDA

View Full Version : In Desparate need of help!!!

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
All in one week....this week!! My Air Suspension motor DEAD!! now I'm riding a low rider feeling every bump and divet in the road. Speed bumps are laughing at me now. My Headlights go out then click back on when they want to, the fuse is going bad and I'm struggling to find it in the fuse box. Reading the manual all the lights are accounted for and labled except "Headlights". Maybe my frustration is blinding me from the obvious regardless this is not fun!!

I NEED HELP.....point me to the right thread of those who've had the same problem or drop some knowledge on me to troubleshoot and fix these problems please.

MY BABY'S SICK!!!!

RF Overlord
03-13-2011, 08:42 AM
My Air Suspension motor DEAD!! now I'm riding a low rider feeling every bump and divet in the road. Speed bumps are laughing at me now.Look in the Brakes and Suspension forum. There are a number of threads relating to the air ride compressor. Briefly, if the compressor is actually dead, a new one is about $200 from Arnott. It's an easy replacement. In the meantime, don't drive the car with the airbags completely deflated; it may damage them. Find a friend with an air compressor or an air tank...remove the air line from the on-board compressor and pump the springs back up, then shut off the switch in the trunk so they don't deflate again until you get the replacement compressor.
My Headlights go out then click back on when they want to, the fuse is going bad It's not the fuse, it's the relay in the LCM. Look in the Shop Talk forum, it's the second sticky. Contact fastblackmerc for a proper repair.

Blk Mamba
03-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Probably the lighting control module, see FastBlackMerc for the repair, fine work, and a very fair price, the replacement from Ford is $700. See below to get you by till you replace the pump.

OK, heres what you do to get the car back up to ride height (if its the compressor that died, not the bags that blew.)

This works a little easier w/ 2 people, and an air compressor with a rubber tipped air nozzle (worked well for me, the tube type may as well if thats all you have) a small 5 gallon (@ 80ish psi) tank should have enough air in it. It doesnt take much air to get the bags back up

Pop the trunk, you will need access to the air ride switch. Remove the air box (if you have it, or other intake assembly) to reveal the suspension compressor beneath. locate the air line coming out of the small tank attatched tot he pump. remove the air line. Push the colored ring in and pull the tube out to remove it.
with the air ride switch in the on position,and the air compressor all ready to go, have a buddy hop in the car and turn the key to 'On' but dont start it. in a couple seconds you will hear the compressor kick on/grind/howl (whatever noise it makes if any) and/or you will hear the solenoids 'click' from the rear bags. once you hear either of those, start pumping air from the compressor into the air line you removed. that will start to inflate the rear bags. keep filling until the suspension pump stops, or the rear solenoids click shut, or until you get whatever rear height you want.
once you get to the desired height, go to the trunk and flip the air ride switch off so that the computer doesnt make the solenoids open again and you lose all your air. FYI having the air bag switch off will also make the 'air ride' light come on in the dash.

thats how you can manually add air to the bags and still drive around with a broken compressor. I did that for a week when mine went out..

also, my pump died because of the windshield washer reservior. You cant fill it more than 3/4 full otherwise it will slosh out of the little vent hole in the top of the cap and leak down onto the suspension pump and corrode it until it dies.

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
also, my pump died because of the windshield washer reservior. You cant fill it more than 3/4 full otherwise it will slosh out of the little vent hole in the top of the cap and leak down onto the suspension pump and corrode it until it dies.

^^And I just topped it off last week after changing my oil!! Mutha Blubber!!!

Good looking out folks!! Ima check those threads out but if any body has pics of the "air box" please pm or post them!! Thank you!!

RF Overlord
03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
if any body has pics of the "air box" please pm or post them!! Thank you!!The air box is the black plastic box on the drivers side up front...it's where the air filter lives...connects with the big round rubber tube to the throttle body.

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 09:11 AM
The air box is the black plastic box on the drivers side up front...it's where the air filter lives...connects with the big round rubber tube to the throttle body.

^^AWW MAN!! Greatly appreaciate that!! I was just looking around in that area!!

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok I'm searching.....I see this lonely black box in close proximity to the air filter and windshield fluid reservoir with a rubber tube coming out of one end. I pulled the rubber line off and air seeped out....the part number on the box is F1VC-91442-AB

Is this it?!?!

RacerX
03-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Ok I'm searching.....I see this lonely black box in close proximity to the air filter and windshield fluid reservoir with a rubber tube coming out of one end. I pulled the rubber line off and air seeped out....the part number on the box is F1VC-91442-AB

Is this it?!?!

No. That's your vacuum storage reservoir for continued vacuum when your plenum has equalized air pressure. The compressor is located directly behind and down from your drivers side headlight.

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
No. That's your vacuum storage reservoir for continued vacuum when your plenum has equalized air pressure. The compressor is located directly behind and down from your drivers side headlight.

^^Thanks!!

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 11:17 AM
looking....don't see it....bout to google pics or something.

babbage
03-13-2011, 01:07 PM
looking....don't see it....bout to google pics or something.

Remove the airbox, where the air filter goes. Take it right out of the car.

The air compressor lives directly below it. there is a small white plastic box that says marauder on it. About the size of a matchbox car box. That's the muffler for the air compressor -- follow the rubber hose down and you've found the air compressor.

Aftermarket compressors are about 1/3 the cost of OEM.

good luck!

Black_Kannin
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Found that lil bamma!!! Right "UNDER" the air filter......Thanks for the advice fellaz!!! Temporary success, I'm off the ground for the time being untill I replace that compressor. One headache gone for now, one more to go!!

fastblackmerc
03-13-2011, 01:13 PM
PM me for info on the LCM repair.

illwood
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
PM me for info on the LCM repair.

Out of curiosity, do you replace the relays with in-kind replacements, or do you wire out to larger Bosch style 30amp relays?

babbage
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Out of curiosity, do you replace the relays with in-kind replacements, or do you wire out to larger Bosch style 30amp relays?

External Relay - FBM does nice work - I just installed one of his modded relays.

illwood
03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks.

I do some electronics repair (laptop power jacks, guitar amps) on the side so I was coming up for a plan when my LCM eventually fails.

fastblackmerc
03-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Thanks.

I do some electronics repair (laptop power jacks, guitar amps) on the side so I was coming up for a plan when my LCM eventually fails.

You can replace the realy with a like relay but your LCM WILL fail again.

A heavy duty external relay is the way to go.

4play
03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
also keep in mind, if you go with an arnott compresser you may want to keep your old air dryer, the arnott one is pointed strait up and the airline will rub through in a matter of weeks, i just put the old dryer on and all is good.