PDA

View Full Version : help with 95 impala

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 08:52 AM
ok woke up early morning to head to school yesterday, i stopped at BP gas station filled up the car, drove to school with no issues. took the car to lunch; no issues. drove the car to my friend house; no issues. fire up the car to leave and head home car ran fine until i hit the highway. it spuds under acceleration when trying to give it more gas ...normal acceleration in the city its fine until i try to give it more gas and jerks like crazy when the TQ locks i barely made it up this huge bridge in here. any ideas of what it could be? bad fuel? fuel pump? plugs? wire? ...i started the car this morning it acted as if it was barely getting enough gas or power and got little back water spots on the ground from the tail pipes. help please.

here is a list of mods if that helps
Lt4 hot cam kit
Hooker headers
MSD ignition
Comp cam roller rockers
Comp cam push rods
160 degree thermostat
no Cats
2.5 inch pipe with x-pipe and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
previous owner said Fuel pump replaced 5k miles ago
2600-2800 stall tourqe converter

ImpalaSlayer
03-13-2011, 08:54 AM
im no gm expert but didnt those impys have a problem with the distributer or something? i thought they had some sort of ignition issue

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 08:57 AM
im no gm expert but didnt those impys have a problem with the distributer or something? i thought they had some sort of ignition issue

ive read the opti is a POS they go bad quick. but mine looks new. i just dont know where to start

ImpalaSlayer
03-13-2011, 08:59 AM
ive read the opti is a POS they go bad quick. but mine looks new. i just dont know where to start

did you check to see if its getting spark?>

id start there

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 09:01 AM
did you check to see if its getting spark?>

id start there

no, i didn't start yet. i hit up the forums before pulling things apart to try and get an idea.

bugsyc
03-13-2011, 09:33 AM
get a Marauder:beer:

guspech750
03-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I would look at the crappy optispark system too. Nice list of mods.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

LANDY
03-13-2011, 09:52 AM
If your water pump has a slight leak it can make the optispark malfunction. Check that first, then check fuel pressure.

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 10:19 AM
im convinced it might be the fuel pump or injectors. the needle hasn't moved off of "F" since Saturday morning. car just ran fine on a back street. stopped to turn around and heard a drone noise like a vibration from the rear, check engine light came on while siting still ...i gave it gas and it turned off then the oil gauge in the cluster pegged back and forth rapidly and stopped.

any one can chime in?

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 10:19 AM
get a Marauder:beer:

if someone wants to trade :D

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I would look at the crappy optispark system too. Nice list of mods.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

opti looks good.
thanks ...more mods to come if i dont let her go

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 10:21 AM
If your water pump has a slight leak it can make the optispark malfunction. Check that first, then check fuel pressure.

im running stock injectors on this set up could that be the issue?

Jolly Roger
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Fuel filter clog?

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Fuel filter clog?

will check that in a minute

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 01:06 PM
talked to a mechanic. he said start with sea foam... so i did.
seem to have fixed the misfire issue but i will take it out later again to see.

BUT NOW IM GETTING LOW OIL PRESSURE READINGS. THE GAUGE IN THE CLUSTER KEEPS DROPPING DOWN TO RED LINE THEN BACK UP TO NORMAL. MY AUTOMETER OIL PRESSURE GAUGE SITS AT ALMOST ZERO AT IDLE AND WHILE DRIVING ITS AT ABOUT 25PSI ...ANY HELP ANYONE? THIS POS MAKIN ME MAD IM BOUT TO SELL IT

RocsMerc
03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
BUT NOW IM GETTING LOW OIL PRESSURE READINGS. THE GAUGE IN THE CLUSTER KEEPS DROPPING DOWN TO RED LINE THEN BACK UP TO NORMAL. MY AUTOMETER OIL PRESSURE GAUGE SITS AT ALMOST ZERO AT IDLE AND WHILE DRIVING ITS AT ABOUT 25PSI ...ANY HELP ANYONE? THIS POS MAKIN ME MAD IM BOUT TO SELL IT

I don't know if this is related, but my sister's 94 6-cyl firebird just recently had this exact problem and it was a bad oil pressure sender. The presure sender was leaking oil into the mechanical guts, causing random drops in oil pressure at the gauge. You could actually see oil in the wire harness connecting to it.

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't know if this is related, but my sister's 94 6-cyl firebird just recently had this exact problem and it was a bad oil pressure sender. The presure sender was leaking oil into the mechanical guts, causing random drops in oil pressure at the gauge. You could actually see oil in the wire harness connecting to it.

thanks but im done with it my patience is too thin im putting it up for sale.

yjmud
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
what is the fuel psi

kariamack
03-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Don't sell it keep it and fix it . I like that car . Just take it to someone that knows what there doing . Ima call You in a min, I'm watching this long azz movie. but I would buy it in a heart beat . Just give me a few months

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 04:03 PM
what is the fuel psi

i have no idea i dont have a tester

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't sell it keep it and fix it . I like that car . Just take it to someone that knows what there doing . Ima call You in a min, I'm watching this long azz movie. but I would buy it in a heart beat . Just give me a few months

man :censor: this car

LANDY
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Have someone that know what they R doing check it out. It could be something simple.
Plus if the car is in really good bodywise it might be worthed keeping it

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Have someone that know what they R doing check it out. It could be something simple.
Plus if the car is in really good bodywise it might be worthed keeping it

nobody in jacksonville knows lt1 ..this is a ford city. i have yet to find a gm mechanic besides the dealership whos gona charge me 100k to fix it.

mgmsleeper
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
pics will be taken tomorrow for the sale. i dont care for this :censor: car. it may be a small fix but my patience is to its limit. sale or trade for the 95 SS.

69428SCJ
03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm telling you straight up it's the distributor. I know because I was having the same problems with my 96. Replaced the plugs, that didn't help, replaced the water pump, that didn't help, plug wires didn't help either or a new fuel filter. You will need a new distributor and it's not going to be cheap.

mgmsleeper
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm telling you straight up it's the distributor. I know because I was having the same problems with my 96. Replaced the plugs, that didn't help, replaced the water pump, that didn't help, plug wires didn't help either or a new fuel filter. You will need a new distributor and it's not going to be cheap.

:shake: for sale

yjmud
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
how much and pics

69428SCJ
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Really? You're not gonna pay the $700 for a new GM optispark but instead sell it at a reduced rate than what you could if you fixed it? That's not a smart move...I'd buy it from you for the repair costs because unless you find a fool who's willing to part with his money then you won't get much more than that.