PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Report

SHERIFF
12-26-2003, 12:32 PM
CNN really surprised me with a recent report. We're all bombarded with how dangerous a cop's job is, right? Just about every day the TV series COPS always have mention of it in every episode. The occupation doesn't even make the Top 10 of Most Dangerous Jobs in America. The following numbers are per 100,000 workers..... Even more surprising is the fact the occupational death hazard for a farmer is twice that of a cop. Roofers almost 3 times that of a cop. A fisherman's job is 5 times more dangerous than a cop. Stuff that makes you go Hhmmm....... :)

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousjobs/dangerous2.gif

Mad4Macs
12-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Remember, though, "Fishers" includes the crab and lobster boats operating in some really rough seas. When a trawler goes down, it's usually an "all hands" lost scenario.

Petrograde
12-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Pilots & Navigators #3? :bs: WTF CNN? If planes were falling out of the sky at that rate (69.8% fatality rate) there would be NO airline industry!

---insert "crappy state of airline industry" quip here---

:lol:

Tom

rumble
12-26-2003, 06:49 PM
While I certainly have respect for the jobs Timber Cutters,
Fishers and all the other folks on that list do, I really don't have the same respect for them that I do for LEO's and Military Personnel. I guess I just feel differently for someone who is willing to put His or Her life on the line for me and my family. My hats off to them, more than a tad more.

03SILVERSTREAK
12-26-2003, 07:34 PM
CNN or other well known media as far as I know has no Love for the Law Enforcement Officers. Front page news when you $crew up and page 47 Left hand lower corner when you do right or save a Life. :rolleyes:

Mad4Macs
12-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Rumble... thx!!! Just know that guys like me, we never considered what we did to be anything other than duty. AND I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.
Glen (SSN 695) USS Birmingham
WOO HOO!!!

teamrope
12-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Pilots & Navigators #3? :bs: WTF CNN? If planes were falling out of the sky at that rate (69.8% fatality rate) there would be NO airline industry!

It doesn't seem to be a very acurate poll to me.

Originally posted by Mad4Macs
I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.
Glen (SSN 695) USS Birmingham
WOO HOO!!!

I'm with ya there, 22 years and still playing Army
:up:

ik04
12-27-2003, 05:06 AM
I believe the numbers are fatalities per 100,000 employees. That is still pretty bad for most of those professions.

Perhaps the lie of this "survey" is that they are equating "dangerous" with the number of people who manage to kill themselves annually.

Proficient, competent people in hazardous positions outlive the careless, incompetent ones every time...

I fly around with 40,000 pounds (including 11,00 pounds of jet fuel) of whirling. screaming machinery strapped to my butt at 170+ MPH a few feet above the trees. I'm still alive because I'm good at it and I respect my limitations and the limitations of my crew.

So, if you consider a profession dangerous based on people screwing up and killing themselves, cops are not in the top ten at all. That means that despite the dangers of the job, cops are competent and proficient enough to live long enough to retire. At least that's what this survey says...

It makes us pilot-types looks like suicidal losers. Sheesh

Kevin

SHERIFF
12-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Teamrope, believe it or not, the numbers are pretty much in line with every report I have ever seen. It's not just a CNN thing. Deputy sheriffs usually come in at about 18 to 19 deaths per 100,000 employees, and police officers usually come in at 14 to 15 deaths per 100,000 employees. Although, police officer deaths on the job have been rather low for the last several years. This fact obviously excludes the 9/11/01 event.

Adel, isn't what you say true of all occupations? If a nurse intentionally kills 23 patients it makes front page. If a nurse stops at an accident scene and saves a life it never makes front page.

ik04, in the original note I clearly said the deaths are per 100,000 employees.

All, you have to understand the statistics. If you only have 10,000 pilots nationwide, and they have 7 pilots killed this year, you have to multiply their death rate by 10 to effectively rank them in a "deaths per 100,000 employees" survey. I don't find it hard to believe 7 pilots out of 10,000 are killed each year.

jgc61sr2002
12-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ADELG670
CNN or other well known media as far as I know has no Love for the Law Enforcement Officers. Front page news when you $crew up and page 47 Left hand lower corner when you do right or save a Life. :rolleyes: That's what sells papers.:bs:

MapleLeafMerc
12-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Tom

If that statistic includes all small jets, props and helicopters, I would find it more believable. I'm sure I don't hear about every small craft crash.

Another way of saying 69.8 deaths per 100,000 pilots is to say that on average, .07% of all pilots die on the job. It doesn't sound quite as bad that way, at least to me.

SHERIFF
12-28-2003, 08:45 AM
I wonder if the report includes pilots who die of alcohol poisoning before taking off? :)

Just kidding!!!!!

jspradii
12-28-2003, 03:30 PM
It would be interesting to know if these pilots and navigators are of the seafaring variety, since they rate just below fishermen (how do you think all of those fishers get to the fish?)

SHERIFF
12-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by jspradii
(how do you think all of those fishers get to the fish?)

By boat? :)

Ever see the George Clooney movie called "The Perfect Storm"? They used a boat.

gobbletwo
12-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by jspradii
It would be interesting to know if these pilots and navigators are of the seafaring variety, since they rate just below fishermen (how do you think all of those fishers get to the fish?)

After perusing the sig: I forgot my meds.(geritol) :D

cruzer
12-28-2003, 09:00 PM
After being involved in aviation since 1944, with 8 years Air Force, 33 years airline, with over 22,000 hours and still flying, I can count on my fingers the pilots I have known who died in a plane crash--I never feel as safe as I do when I fly--don't know how their rate was calculated--I feel fine with my airplane and my Marauder

Ross
12-29-2003, 07:59 AM
Obviously, those numbers don't include the military. There is no more dangerous job in the world than being an Infantryman.

rurumon
12-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Ross
Obviously, those numbers don't include the military. There is no more dangerous job in the world than being an Infantryman.

I guess that kind of depends on when the survey was taken. Present day wouldnt it not be that hazardous? I mean, how many grunts are out there? several hundred thousand? and how many (on average) die per year? cant be more than a hundred or so.

Fin Harder 92
12-29-2003, 04:54 PM
I'd have to disagree that being an Infantryman is the most dangerous job. I did it for eight years and while getting to visit exotic lands, hanging from a SPIES line under a helo or jumping out of a bird isn't the safest thing, I felt much more secure packing a M249 SAW and having guys trained in treating trauma injuries within yelling distance. I haven't felt safe since I left the brotherhood of the Corps.

Losing one member of the military is a tremindous loss. With that said considering what we've undertaken in the last few years, the number of casualties is light.

Semper Fi