PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 3 Fender Strat

TooManyFords
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I promised myself I would learn to play the guitar, and now I am.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5296/5523394521_1fe1dd8434.jpg

My son got me this Fender Squier Stratocaster and MIDI adapter for Rock Band 3 pro mode. Has the complete learn to play guitar instructional tutorials built right into the game too. I've mastered the beginner level and half way through the second already.

Not just a toy either, this is a real guitar and I have an amp to plug it into as well. Should I bring this to Louisville and set it up in the room?

LOL!

thathotrodlincn
03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
I can't be in Louisville, but bring it to Carlisle or MV IX.

Motorhead350
03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I see this stuff as the worst game ever, but sadly it's saving the music industry because people are paying for music again. That's why there are additions of these games just for Aerosmith and The Beatles... as if they are broke.

In the end it's like a car on a dyno instead of a track, or masturbation instead of sex. It's just not the real thing... it's B.S. :bs:

Enjoy, but the real guitar is what I would pick up.

CRUZTAKER
03-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Enjoy, but the real guitar is what I would pick up.

From what I gather from his post...it is a real guitar....no?

TooManyFords
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Yes, very real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKP5n7uSz10

Motorhead350
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I am very sorry. :o That seriously looked like something from guitar hero. I skimmed when I saw Rock Band and didn't read all the way though. Well today was apparent that I'm still an idiot.

Learn this.... 12 bar blues.

You can play thousands of songs with three chords!

illwood
03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I promised myself I would learn to play the guitar, and now I am.

My son got me this Fender Squier Stratocaster and MIDI adapter for Rock Band 3 pro mode. Has the complete learn to play guitar instructional tutorials built right into the game too. I've mastered the beginner level and half way through the second already.

Not just a toy either, this is a real guitar and I have an amp to plug it into as well. Should I bring this to Louisville and set it up in the room?

LOL!

Looks pretty cool. As a guitar player, I was always a little bit frustrated with the way Guitar Hero and Rock Band had the guitar part played because I believe NO guitar player would do it that way. I would consider getting this setup to make the game more enjoyable.

BTW, that looks like part of an Ibanez Gio electric in the foreground.

TooManyFords
03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Looks pretty cool. As a guitar player, I was always a little bit frustrated with the way Guitar Hero and Rock Band had the guitar part played because I believe NO guitar player would do it that way. I would consider getting this setup to make the game more enjoyable.

BTW, that looks like part of an Ibanez Gio electric in the foreground.

I watched my son play all versions of the guitar hero and rock band and he always wanted to know if I wanted to play along. I always declined because it wasn't real. Now he is thinking he wants a one like mine an learn to play a real guitar.

And yes, that is an Ibanez Gio in the pic! A guy at work was needing some christmas money so I gave him $100 for it. I like the looks of it and it sounds fine.

johnnyrauder
03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
i have always wanted to play drums. i always say some day. mabee we could start a over 50 metal band. lol

justbob
03-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Thats totally cool! I have been saying they should make something like this since these games came out.. I had no idea they finally DID! Does it have to be a specific guitar? Looks like more mod money getting spent..

TooManyFords
03-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Does it have to be a specific guitar? Looks like more mod money getting spent..
Yes, the Fender Squier Stratocaster with the MIDI setup. It is sold as the specific guitar for the game. The cool thing is that it has a complete midi setup in it so you can use it with more than just the game. Not that I am anywhere near that level. I'm still learning / memorizing the strings so I can play the correct one without looking. And I thought learning to type was hard...

In the lessons, I am up to moving through the middle strings between the first and third frets. Sounds and looks easy, and I can do it in the slow mode, but when I speed it up I either hit the wrong string or the wrong fret. If it was easy, everyone could do it. LOL!

justbob
03-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks John! I am definately looking into this.

guspech750
03-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Wow!! That is so cool!! Might be a new hobby to learn.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

Motorhead350
03-14-2011, 01:34 AM
The first song I learned was When I Come Around by Green Day. That same day it was All The Small Things by Blink 182... I kinda hate to admit that one.

CBT
03-14-2011, 04:59 AM
In the end it's like a car on a dyno instead of a track, or masturbation instead of sex. It's just not the real thing... it's B.S. :bs:

Masturbation IS sex, yer doin' it wrong.

fastblackmerc
03-14-2011, 05:09 AM
Masturbation IS sex, yer doin' it wrong.

+1!!!!! :beer:

justmelanie
03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Thats totally cool! I have been saying they should make something like this since these games came out.. I had no idea they finally DID! Does it have to be a specific guitar? Looks like more mod money getting spent..

Great! Something else to spend MY money on!!! LOL!!! J/K!:lol:

CBT
03-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Great! Something else to spend MY money on!!! LOL!!! J/K!:lol:
Ouch!
Bob, welcome to Just Got Told, population:You

massacre
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I gotta agree with a lot here, when Guitar Hero came out, I quickly grew tired of people bragging about how good they were at it.
I still have never played it and never will. With the standard "guitar", there's nothing musical about it. Kinda funny to watch other people play it, but only midly so.
I prefer my Gibson Custom Shop Flying V, Jim Dunlop wah-pedal and vintage Fender tube amp. Or any of my other axes. There's no substitute for the real thing....:flamer:

But it is cool I guess, to have the lessons on the TV, I'm sure it would speed up the learning process significantly. I had to rely on the tried-and-true "play-until-your-fingers-bleed" method....lol. I highly recommend it.

TooManyFords
03-14-2011, 02:18 PM
I try to play it only until my fingertips hurt, not bleed. :P

Mote
03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
I am a guitar player. 36 years of bands, live ensemble as a lead guitarist. When Guitar Hero came out, some relatives got it and said "Hey Dave, you'll *love* this!". As a friend of mine says (to be a smart arse) "I already *am* a guitar hero!". I took one look at it and shook my head. I never had any interest. It is a five-fret one-string "guitar". Whatever.

For those who enjoy it, and perhaps master it that is great! To each their own! But it's not for me. I love music, reacting to other players, melody and improv, riffing, laying down a groove. Playing live is quite a rush - Way different than playing along with a recording (one reason recording studio work can be so difficult).

It did however spark a revival in a lot of classic rock/blues/metal/whatever and that is fantastic. I hear a lot of people buying guitars for themselves and their kids and trying to learn and that is fantastic too! This device changes things quite a bit. But it isn't the arcade game GH is/was. You will have to learn a lot to play this one. That's probably good too.

In the end though unless other interests are sparked, it will produce parrots, not musicians or composers or riff-masters or performers. But as long as it is a game, that's cool too. And if this is you high-tech tool to learn how play, go for it. I had to learn it on the streets:) And in the bars and basements and front porches...