PDA

View Full Version : Need job advice

Motorhead350
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Alright gang, need to know what to do here. A just started a job this week and before I was hired I told my boss what I am doing with my life and how I am gone for weeks at a time. I mentioned the dates I would be gone up front. He said right now it's okay, but come summer if I am not around I will be gone. So in the end, I don't expect to keep this job because of the Rock Camps and the tour of Germany.

So here's the problem for now. I told him last week I would be leaving town thursday until the following tuesday night. So I am leaving in two days. The boss is a bit older and I had a feeling he would forget.... and I was right. Today he was just talking about having me come in on thursday, the day I leave town. This is his own fault that he forgot and I told him a week ago that I would be leaving this week... again even before hired I told him the dates.

Maybe some would say why care, it's his fault? Well I can tell this guy isn't really a happy person. He yells at the others and is very short tempered, but he's really good to me. I always said thank you to him, looked at him in the eye and never yelled nor has he yelled at me. He actually seems happier. Today he actually said please and thank you to me. I know this may seem "gay" to some, but I can tell this guy needed some kinda "up" in his life and I guess I was it... not to stroke my ego or anything, but I guess he isn't used to good help. I did everything they asked of me the first time with little or no instruction and always find something to do when there is nothing to do, plus I enjoy it. Or maybe I just get along really well with A-holes.

So I don't know what to do about this. I don't know if I can tell him tomorrow "I'm not coming in tomorrow. I told you last week, but you must have forgotten." I know they are going to be short staffed this weekend because I overheard another guy mention how he's going to be gone all weekend and another is probably going to be fired maybe as soon as tomorrow.

In the end I will probably lose it anyway because of a trip to Vegas for a Rock Camp just before KY that just came up, but not confirmed if I will be there. Germany wasn't mentioned either because these two things came up just this week. The guy knows music is what I wanna do with my life and I cannot pass any of these events up. So finally the question is why even stick around? Well the events aren't everyday, sometimes every other month... so I still need a way to make money when London isn't Calling so to say.

I am still leaving town when I need to, nothing is stopping me. I just don't know if I should say it to the guy or leave a note on the door. I am not going to quit, but I do have the feeling this will be the first time I will ever be fired... even if it's due the boss forgetting something. I was thinking of writing a letter and leaving it before I leave town, but I don't want him to wake up to the bad news. I don't wanna lie and say I'm coming in the next day when I am not. I just don't have the balls to say to this guy that he forgot what I told him, because I know the weekend will be hell. Maybe it's better that I say it so he has enough notice to find cover for the weekend, but I just don't know.

I would like to stay because I really enjoy the work and like my boss. I just doubt they will want me around because I leave town so often to pursue my passion. I always mentioned the dates up front, but even after the first week they don't remember. I feel like I am being a let down, even if it's not my fault. It took me a while to find something and better yet it's in my area, so I just walk to work. I don't have to worry about gas prices!

What to do?

MrBluGruv
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I honestly think you should have brought it up right when he mentioned it to you, that way there is no confusion about it.

Assuming that wasn't possible, I always figure it better to let management know ASAP in case they have to schedule someone else to work or have to change other plans around that depended on you. Leaving a note basically after the fact is almost a sure-fire way to get canned, at least I wouldn't take kindly to an employee doing that to me, it kinda says I'm not worth the time or respect to talk to me about it in person.

And on that note, how you phrase things will be paramount. Instead of telling him "you forgot", don't put emphasis on him when you bring it up; say "I did mention it" or something to that effect. An intelligent person will understand you are still basically saying they forgot, except they will also see that you are not trying to call them out on it, just stating fact. Little things like that shape the emotional state of people and shape their opinion of you in subtle ways that can end up making a huge difference in regards to the outcome. If he's prone to forgetting things though and then says you never told him or blames you for the misinformation on his part frequently when you DID inform him, I'd think it's safe to say you are going to have a largely unpleasant experience at this job over time.

Good luck man.

Motorhead350
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah I wasn't going to say "You forgot." I know what you mean dude, I just almost feel like I should have said something today, I was just kinda like a deer in the lights... oh well. I will sleep on it, but I need to hear how you guys think I should approach this.

gdsqdcr
03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
My thoughts ...

Wed AM go meet with him. Hey boss, yesterday I thought I heard you mention that you need me in on Thursday? Whats going on? If you recall, I have a preplanned trip that I told you about 2 weeks ago. This trip is an opportunity for me to pursue my music career and I really would like to attend. Are you still okay with me taking Thursday thru Tuesday off?

Then, in the near future ... I would mention the possibility of Germany and the Rock Camp to him. Hey, you never know ... they might want to keep you around and not ban (:P) you.

massacre
03-16-2011, 04:27 AM
My company has forms that we have to fill out to take time off. The owners then approve and sign them. Then there is a paper trail, maybe you guys should do something similar?

SC Cheesehead
03-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Agree with the above, tell the man up front, and being a bit patronizing isn't a bad idea either, (e.g. "I mentioned this to you the other day, but I know you have a lot on your mind with the business and all...")

Also, something to think about Dom: a job pays alot better than a passion does. I know you've got Rock Camps, your trip to Germany, etc. in the works, but ultimately, where are those headed? Will they enable you to make a decent living down the road, or are they just a good time? A time comes in a man's life when he's got to make choices that have long term implications. Some times those choices aren't the most fun, but they are usually the best choice in the long run. Take it from an "old guy" that has been there, done that.

Haggis
03-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Shoot Dom, when you leave for the day on Wednesday leave a smokey burnout in the parking lot and flip him the bird.

guspech750
03-16-2011, 05:24 AM
I always either go to work early or at the end of the day to discuss my time off. Then I fill out the form to take time off and I mark it on my boss' calender so he can see it. I've corrected my boss plenty of times about our work schedual and my time off. It's no big deal. They have alot more on their minds than our petty lives. Honesty and being polite is always a win win for all.

But Haggis has a great idea too!!

J-MAN
03-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Maybe one of the moderators will write a note for you?

Motorhead350
03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Maybe one of the moderators will write a note for you?

Hahahahahaha

Thanks for the advice everyone.

RacerX
03-16-2011, 05:53 AM
My company has forms that we have to fill out to take time off. The owners then approve and sign them. Then there is a paper trail, maybe you guys should do something similar?
Duh! Winning!!! All companies should do this no matter how big or small. ;)

http://earsucker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/charlie-sheen-natalie-kenly-duh-winning.jpg

kernie
03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
LOL at the {serious} advice givers!

Now go trade in your MM's for miata's!

vkirkend
03-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Agree with the above, tell the man up front, and being a bit patronizing isn't a bad idea either, (e.g. "I mentioned this to you the other day, but I know you have a lot on your mind with the business and all...")

Also, something to think about Dom: a job pays alot better than a passion does. I know you've got Rock Camps, your trip to Germany, etc. in the works, but ultimately, where are those headed? Will they enable you to make a decent living down the road, or are they just a good time? A time comes in a man's life when he's got to make choices that have long term implications. Some times those choices aren't the most fun, but they are usually the best choice in the long run. Take it from an "old guy" that has been there, done that.

Words of wisdom Dom, most employers need workers they can count on to be at work every day not part-time. Maybe you should offer your services to your employer as a "temp" employee. If you need regular pay checks then you have a decision to make, are you going to be someone he can rely on, are you simply a person to "fill in" when someone doesn't show up......

CBT
03-16-2011, 06:08 AM
I would remind him of the conversation. I have to do the same thing with my boss when it comes to attending Marauder events. Prime example, Charlotte. When I got back, he asked where I'd been, lol.

Joe Walsh
03-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Sorry Dom, I couldn't read that long dissertation.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that you should do whatever you feel like doing with no concern for your action's consequences.

Kinda like Charlie Sheen.

RacerX
03-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Oops... I found the fine line! You were right Casey! ;)

massacre
03-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Well our company is pretty big........

4 union crews
overhead door division
general contractors/site supers
managers/laborers
etc.

CBT
03-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Fixed it!!! :D
I know what yooooooou're about to geeeeeeeeeeet. :cool:

massacre
03-16-2011, 06:24 AM
As far as the job/Germany thing:
You guys are definitely right about making the choice between work and passion, but there is another side:
Dom is young enough and single so he has the ability to go to Germany and follow his dream. When you get older, married, kids, etc. those opportunities go away pretty quickly. So if you're going to do something like that, it makes sense to do it now when you're young, rather than wait until it is too late and then regret it for the rest of your life.
Just my .02

Plus German chicks are hawt

SC Cheesehead
03-16-2011, 06:31 AM
You guys are definitely right about making the choice between work and passion, but there is another side:
Dom is young enough and single so he has the ability to go to Germany and follow his dream. When you get older, married, kids, etc. those opportunities go away pretty quickly. So if you're going to do something like that, it makes sense to do it now when you're young, rather than wait until it is too late and then regret it for the rest of your life.
Just my .02

Good point on doing things while you're young. Just got to remember you're not young forever...;)

+1 on point #2, what's not to love? :D
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BFHWN-4GQpc/SxAU14oLn7I/AAAAAAAAAhE/UTR-0aENoJw/s400/barmaid.jpg&sa=X&ei=SbuATceWB46tgQfykpidCA&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Cw&usg=AFQjCNGipz10vIPb9z2rsCZpaK 707oexFw

Haggis
03-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Sorry Dom, I couldn't read that long dissertation.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that you should do whatever you feel like doing with no concern for your action's consequences.

Kinda like Charlie Sheen.

Hey leave Chuck outta this, he is living the life of a Rock Star!!

Just my .02

Yea, and they have hairy legs. :drool:

RacerX
03-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Speaking of hairy... Vanessa Hudgens...:D

massacre
03-16-2011, 06:42 AM

Nothing a little American ingenuity can't solve

CBT
03-16-2011, 06:43 AM
.....ibtl.....

Haggis
03-16-2011, 06:54 AM
.....ibtl.....

You funny Mister.

jerrym3
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
At 25, you're not a kid anymore, and times are rough with no end in sight.

Within a blink of an eye, you'll be 30; pass gas and you'll be 35; blow your nose and you'll be 40.

I look back at things I did, or didn't do, when I was your age, and I could see where I made some good choices and some bad choices that had a lifelong impact.

Can you get a replacement job right away? If so, go with your gut.

If not, and this job either has a future or will give you a background for a future with another firm, become an adult and stick with it.

As for what to say to your boss, tell him you're pretty sure you told him, but since you both have a lot on your mind, you may not have mentioned it, or he may not have heard you.

There's a reason they call him "boss".

SC Cheesehead
03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Speaking of hairy... Vanessa Hudgens...:D

Sie ist ein heiß schatzie.

.....ibtl.....

+1.

Post count, that is...

HammerDown
03-16-2011, 12:40 PM
At 25, you're not a kid anymore, and times are rough with no end in sight.

Within a blink of an eye, you'll be 30; pass gas and you'll be 35; blow your nose and you'll be 40.

I look back at things I did, or didn't do, when I was your age, and I could see where I made some good choices and some bad choices that had a lifelong impact.

Can you get a replacement job right away? If so, go with your gut.

If not, and this job either has a future or will give you a background for a future with another firm, become an adult and stick with it.

As for what to say to your boss, tell him you're pretty sure you told him, but since you both have a lot on your mind, you may not have mentioned it, or he may not have heard you.

There's a reason they call him "boss".

My 2cents--have to agree with jerrym3. But you could still mention that you were going to be taking off and see what boss's reaction is.

Good luck

Bluerauder
03-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Alright gang, need to know what to do here.

What to do?

I see a job change in your near future. Reliability and dependability are probably the two most important traits in holding a job. Bosses and supervisors like to know that you will be there when needed. You have made it clear that this job is not a priority for you and that you will take off to pursue those other interests as they come up. They might tolerate it for awhile; but I really don't think this will be a long term relation. JMHO.

As long as you have the financial independence to do what you want .... then do what you want. Most people need a stable source of income to meet their obligations and responsibilities. I reached that point at age 21 and have been trying to work back to "independence" since then. :o

Dragcity
03-16-2011, 12:53 PM
If you don't want to have to work a day in your life.....

Make friends with rich people!

J-MAN
03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Dragcity;1022645]If you don't want to have to work a day in your life.....

Find a job you love!

Fixed

RacerX
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
If you don't want to have to work a day in your life.....

Make friends with rich people!

Yeah, just don't change your name to Rockefeller! ;)

Got_1
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Dragcity;1022645]If you don't want to have to work a day in your life.....

Find a job you love!

Fixed

nahh. I love working on cars, my car, friends cars...etc. I used to do it alot before i became an auto technician. Now when I get home from work i dont' even want to look at a car. It takes a lot more motivation to get out in the garage and work "after hours".

Motorhead350
03-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Just my .02

That's exactly why I am taking every chance I get and forgetting about money for a little while. I just need to make rent. No credit card debt, no car to lease, just rent.

As far as today is concerned it went just great. I mentioned the situation to a co-worker and he said to tell the boss after 3pm so he wouldn't be around to hear him yell at me. Well around noon he actually remembered. I told him how I was going to be out of town and would be ready to go mid week next week at 8am. I guess just in the few days I have been there I have proven that I am worth keeping around. He told me to write out the dates where I would be gone.

So all is well! :D

SC Cheesehead
03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you, Dom.

Ms. Denmark
03-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Oh good. Another crisis averted. I love a happy ending.

kernie
03-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh good. Another crisis averted. I love a happy ending.

I know eh, i was worried all day! :D

PonyUP
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I love a happy ending.

Thats what I Said!!

Spectragod
03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I guess just in the few days I have been there I have proven that I am worth keeping around.

Wow, is McDonald's really needing help that bad?:confused::D

Bigdogjim
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
You know I also could read through the long ramble of a post. Just reading the first few line I can tell you upfront that I would not have hired you if you start tell me upfront the date you can't work in the interview.

Companys large of small hire people to fill job slots. Why hire someone who will not be around?

J-MAN
03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
That's a relief! Good to hear that those pizzas will get delivered. Chicago deep dish yum. :drool:

Motorhead350
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM

I don't know. Are they?

That's a relief! Good to hear that those pizzas will get delivered. Chicago deep dish yum. :drool:

You're actually on the right track, but no I do not deliver. ;)

massacre
03-17-2011, 03:51 AM

Lulz..................

Dragcity
03-17-2011, 06:03 AM
"Nazi Punks, Nazi punks, Nazi Punks, _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ ! "

Motorhead350
03-17-2011, 09:07 AM
"Nazi Punks, Nazi punks, Nazi Punks, _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ ! "

OMFG! Yes yes yes. I thought I was the only one that knew tha song on here.

Dragcity
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
See, some of old guys aren't quite so square after all.

Paul T. Casey
03-17-2011, 09:26 AM
You're actually on the right track, but no I do not deliver. ;)

You're a Dough-Flipper?

vkirkend
03-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Great News!!!! You realy should bring your boss a trinket from Germany for being understanding of your passion.

That's exactly why I am taking every chance I get and forgetting about money for a little while. I just need to make rent. No credit card debt, no car to lease, just rent.

As far as today is concerned it went just great. I mentioned the situation to a co-worker and he said to tell the boss after 3pm so he wouldn't be around to hear him yell at me. Well around noon he actually remembered. I told him how I was going to be out of town and would be ready to go mid week next week at 8am. I guess just in the few days I have been there I have proven that I am worth keeping around. He told me to write out the dates where I would be gone.