PDA

View Full Version : Newest mod!

a_d_a_m
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196383_580149314351_39003984_3 3202270_5769483_n.jpg

babbage
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Ok, so how much did your insurance change cost wise.

If that is a personalized plate - I don't get it...

RacerX
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
He collects Hod Rod magazine! :D

a_d_a_m
03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
It's not a personalized plate. You can get personalized Collector plates, but as it is with a regular vanity plate, they are $50/yr more expensive. I couldn't think of anything that was funny or clever enough that was worth a tank of gas. All the good ones in Ohio are taken.

I don't know what, if anything, my insurance will change.

But for an extra few bucks, I don't have to take my car to the emissions testing now. I don't trust those people to wipe my windows, let alone spend any time in/with my car. I did check a few collector car insurance companies and it looks like the quotes are anywhere from $10-20 month. I just don't know that they will cover my car for what I use my car for.

RacerX
03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
But for an extra few bucks, I don't have to take my car to the emissions testing now.
Well I think you may just have something there! That's a nice idea for those of us that have certain things turned off, etc. :beer:

a_d_a_m
03-16-2011, 02:03 PM
That's a nice idea for those of us that have certain things turned off, etc. :beer: ...exactly.
And seriously. The morons at our local emissions station spent plenty of time on short buses throughout their early years.

CRUZTAKER
03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I did check a few collector car insurance companies and it looks like the quotes are anywhere from $10-20 month. I just don't know that they will cover my car for what I use my car for.

In reply to members asking about insurance...

Being registered with the Ohio BMV having "collector" plates has no impact on insurance rates as the insurance company has no clue unless you shared that information with them.

It only gets us out of the Ohio e-check.
In my case, I have no need nor desire to avoid e-check as my tuner has turned off all 'bad' flags that the inspector might find when he plugs into my PCM. However, in the unlikely event you DID recently throw a code for something emission related (such as I did one year with race gas killing my o2 sensors), they could potentially see that old code if it is still in the re-learn period after clearing it yourself. THEN you hit the dyno and potentially fail (as I once did) if you have heavily modded your exhaust and other underlying items that produce additional smog agents. We no longer mandatorily dyno cars here in Ohio to check emissions (unless you own an older car without the obd port). Also vehicles over 25 years old are exempt, and those registered as 'historical'.
Obviuosly our MM's only need dongled in to their computer monitor to check emmisions for our bi-yearly e-check to renew our plates purely to look for codes. If we pass, it's no charge. Only 15 minutes out of your busy day....bi-yearly.

I passed this year no issues....even with my chip plugged in.

So long story short, and seriously no offense to Adam. I have no desire to advertise to everyone that I fall in that group of people that have cars that obviously have issues. This is the MAIN reason people get 'collector' plates in Ohio....they cannot make Emission test pass.

Now 'historical' plates are in my opinion cool to have....however more and more dumpy >25 year old Cutlass' and Camaros are showing up with these plates. Fail.

Everyone knows my Marauder plate lol.....but my new one on the Subie is:

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/img/special_plates/pro_columbus_blue_jackets.gif With the words GOT ICE

Fosters
03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Congrats; I wish MN was wise enough to recognize limited edition vehicles for what they are... and not require them to be old.

Subd. 1c.Collector's vehicle, collector plate. (a) The owner of any self-propelled motor vehicle, including any truck, (1) that is (i) at least 20 model years old, or (ii) at least ten model years old and with a body or engine style of which not more than 500 were manufactured in or imported into the United States in any model year, (2) that was manufactured after 1935, and (3) that is owned and operated solely as a collector's vehicle, shall list the vehicle for taxation and registration as provided in paragraph (b).

I guess to them the 25 mustang dark horse editions or other limited run vehicles like that are not collectible vehicles because they're not 10 years old...

God I hate the land of 10,000 stupids.

CRUZTAKER
03-16-2011, 03:07 PM
God I hate the land of 10,000 stupids.

But some of the best hockey teams ever....:P

FastMerc
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
In reply to members asking about insurance...

Being registered with the Ohio BMV having "collector" plates has no impact on insurance rates as the insurance company has no clue unless you shared that information with them.

It only gets us out of the Ohio e-check.
In my case, I have no need nor desire to avoid e-check as my tuner has turned off all 'bad' flags that the inspector might find when he plugs into my PCM. However, in the unlikely event you DID recently throw a code for something emission related (such as I did one year with race gas killing my o2 sensors), they could potentially see that old code if it is still in the re-learn period after clearing it yourself. THEN you hit the dyno and potentially fail (as I once did) if you have heavily modded your exhaust and other underlying items that produce additional smog agents. We no longer mandatorily dyno cars here in Ohio to check emissions (unless you own an older car without the obd port). Also vehicles over 25 years old are exempt, and those registered as 'historical'.
Obviuosly our MM's only need dongled in to their computer monitor to check emmisions for our bi-yearly e-check to renew our plates purely to look for codes. If we pass, it's no charge. Only 15 minutes out of your busy day....bi-yearly.

I passed this year no issues....even with my chip plugged in.

So long story short, and seriously no offense to Adam. I have no desire to advertise to everyone that I fall in that group of people that have cars that obviously have issues. This is the MAIN reason people get 'collector' plates in Ohio....they cannot make Emission test pass.

Now 'historical' plates are in my opinion cool to have....however more and more dumpy >25 year old Cutlass' and Camaros are showing up with these plates. Fail.

Everyone knows my Marauder plate lol.....but my new one on the Subie is:

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/img/special_plates/pro_columbus_blue_jackets.gif With the words GOT ICE
I did not know some of these facts,thanks for the info.I do not have to sweat it now. Cool plate by the way!

a_d_a_m
03-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I have no desire to advertise to everyone that I fall in that group of people that have cars that obviously have issues. This is the MAIN reason people get 'collector' plates in Ohio....they cannot make Emission test pass. So we're clear: my car will pass the E-check no problem. :D

It's a twofold thing:
1. E-check: I know what kind of people work at my local E-check. One of them is a regular at the local jail. I'd rather he not drive a car that I feel pretty strongly about. Plus, there is always the chance that my car might still be stored in April (when the plates are due to expire), and I'd rather not risk paying the $20 penalty because my plates are expired. And finally, if I choose to get stupid with mods (not very likely, but ya never know), I don't wanna have to worry about it...

2. Ford recognizes the Marauder as collectible, so...why not?

As far as the collectors insurance is concerned, I've received acceptance notices from three agencies, and they are way cheaper than my regular insurance. Again, I'm not sure that I want to go that route; I need to be sure that I will not be restricted to a certain amount of mileage per year, where I can drive, etc...

69428SCJ
03-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Sucks that cuyahoga county still does E-check, hamilton county does NOT! :D

pantheroc
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Adam, Isn't there some strange rule that you can ONLY drive the car to a show and nothing else while having OC plates?

a_d_a_m
03-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Nope. As long as the car is not used as primary transportation (in other words, you must also have another car that accumulates more miles per year than your OC) and is used as a "leisure pursuit" you can drive it wherever. I will be taking it to Canada this year, as well as many passes at the dragstrip and cruise nights.

69428SCJ
03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Adam, Isn't there some strange rule that you can ONLY drive the car to a show and nothing else while having OC plates?

That's for historical plates...you're also allowed participation in parades and such but that's pretty much it.