PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Charger

SideshowBob
03-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Local Dodge/Chrysler dealer was having one of those take-a-test-drive-win-a-car promotions so the wife and I stopped in. A free $25 AmEx gift card was involved so it wouldn't be a total waste of time. They were adamant about actually test driving a car (most places just give you the gift card to get you off the lot once they perceive you ain't gonna buy anything) so we took out a sunburst orange Charger with the 5.7L Hemi. I've gotta say that I was favorably impressed. My step-son has a 2007(?) Charger Super Bee and I've driven that car. The new Charger seems roomier and more comfortable (I'm 6'8"). Lots of leg room. Naturally on a short test drive I didn't get to fling the car around much, but I did get to punch it up to 80 a couple of times on the freeway and it was smooth and powerful with no indication that it was switching from 4 to 8 cylinders, other than the little "Eco" light on the dash readout. Handling felt very tight and the brakes were wonderful. I have no reason to get rid of my Marauder, but if I had to replace it, the Charger would have to be high on the list of options. Especially since Ford now seems to think that RWD belongs on Mustangs and trucks exclusively. I would probably need a complete blood transfusion to get the Ford blue out of my veins, but I did like the Charger. Looks way better this year, too. One stupid annoyance however; the door swings so wide you can't reach the door pull while sitting in the car. You have to lean way out of the car to get at it. It's so bad I'm sure they will have relocated the handle by 2012.

rayjay
03-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, must be the civilian versions are better. The police version is junk.

Jesse
03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Chargers are supposed to have hidden headlights! haha

JUST 1BULLITT
03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah, maybe so; but do you have the new 2011 Police Package version or a 2010?? (I had the older style chargers as rentals and I hated ALL the cheapo plastic and HARD armrests etc.) I sat in these NEW ones he's talking about in the AutoShow and I was impressed: i'll have to try driving one now!! I recall reading in MotorTrend or somewhere too complaining and the IMPOSSIBLE reach to grab the door handle by and IF this 6 FT 8 guy couldn't reach it, then surely we're ALL screwed!! :eek: Sounds nice though and next year; the SRT 8 Returns! :burnout: :banana2: NO substitute for a Marauder by any means though!! :bows:
Hmmm, must be the civilian versions are better. The police version is junk.

SideshowBob
03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I recall reading in MotorTrend or somewhere too complaining and the IMPOSSIBLE reach to grab the door handle by and IF this 6 FT 8 guy couldn't reach it, then surely we're ALL screwed!! :eek:

There is a cutout in the door panel for a package tray or some such and I was able to close the door by grabbing that, but I don't know if that would be satisfactory over the long haul. I suspect pulling on it constantly would eventually damage the door panel. If it were mine, I'd try and figure out a way to attach a lanyard or something :rolleyes:. As nice as the rest of the car is, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The deal breaker is that my Marauder has only 54K miles and is paid for :banana:

rayjay
03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
They are difficult to see out of, did not like the blind spots. My last unit was a left over 09 Durango. Good for all the stuff I had to carry as the shift supervisor. Other than a manual almost non ajustable drivers seat, I liked the vehicle itself. Only real issue was the morons we bought it through put a prisoner cage in that left 0 foot room in the rear. I have no idea what they were thinking of and they should have called about it. Being out of our state they just plain didn't care. Cheapest bidder :rolleyes:

Vortex
03-19-2011, 05:05 PM
A nice enough car but if I was going to buy a Mopar it would be a Challenger. If I needed 4 doors Id get the 300 (less busy styling). They are all basically the same car.

MarauderVOL
03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Love my Marauder but if I was going to buy either the Challenger or Charger I'd wait for the 2012 model. I believe there's a change from the 5 speed auto to an 8 speed auto coming with paddle shifters.