PDA

View Full Version : Porpoise "Strand Feeding" Event Today.....Lucky Me!!!

Marauderjack
03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Some of you already know that I take daily Sunrise photos out on the dock here in Beaufort, SC every day that I'm here.....rain or shine and email them all over the world!!:D

Well, today I got the treat of a lifetime!!:banana2:

Porpoises (Bottle Nose Dolphin to many of you) have a feeding technique here in coastal SC and GA called "Strand Feeding" whereby two or more of them "herd" fish and drive them onto a mudflat at low tide, sliding up the mud and devouring as many as possible before they get away!!:eek:

I have witnessed this many times from a distance and made feeble attempts to photograph them!!:argue:

Well....today was my LUCKY DAY!!:bows: My new Canon SX30IS and a pair of Porpoises attacking the schooling fish several times......WOW!!:eek:

I hope you enjoy video since not many folks even know about "Strand Feeding" much less ever see it!!:shake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeFKYUModM8

Marauderjack

PS: Also, take a look at my photo website when you have a chance!!

http://www.coosawjackphotography.com/

MM03MOK
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Very nice, Jack! Way cool!!!

CBT
03-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Awesome stuff man, nature is fascinating. :beer:

prchrman
03-23-2011, 04:11 AM
MarauderJack, did not know anyone on here lived in Beaufort. I have to visit Beaufort sometimes as my company is a supplier of a product to Parker in Beaufort and I am the project engineer over the part. Maybe we could meet up when I come down again and I will buy you supper on the company dime. willie

fast dtr
03-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Very Cool !

Marauderjack
03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
MarauderJack, did not know anyone on here lived in Beaufort. I have to visit Beaufort sometimes as my company is a supplier of a product to Parker in Beaufort and I am the project engineer over the part. Maybe we could meet up when I come down again and I will buy you supper on the company dime. willie

One of my neighbors works at Parker......small world!!

PM me when you know you are coming and we'll do something!!:beer:

ImpalaSlayer
03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
why didnt you go pet flipper? lol

cool stuff

TAKEDOWN
03-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Wow, first time! I bet it was even cooler to see it in person. Mother Nature at its best, thanks for sharing I enjoyed it!

Marauderjack
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
why didnt you go pet flipper? lol

cool stuff

Dave.....that "pluff mud" is like black mayonnaise and sometimes like quick sand.......Big Ole Me is better off on the dock running the video camera!!!:D

Juice
03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
One of my all time favorite pictures that I have taken was a sunrise shot in Charleston, SC.

I love South Carolina, and would actually consider living there post-Navy.

bugsyc
03-26-2011, 08:09 AM
AWESOME!!!...real Nat Geo stuff.Thanks for posting

Marauderjack
03-26-2011, 10:34 AM
AWESOME!!!...real Nat Geo stuff.Thanks for posting

Thanks...glad you liked it!!:beer: