PDA

View Full Version : 2003 TBird retro

jerrym3
03-30-2011, 05:40 AM
It's not an MM, but it's a Ford, and it's fun to drive.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/2003%20retro%20Bird/

bugsyc
03-30-2011, 06:06 AM
nice car...is it for sale? my wifey wants it..

Spectragod
03-30-2011, 07:08 AM
nice car...is it for sale? my wifey wants it..

My buddy has a Merlot 04' with charcoal interior for sale. It has 4k miles on it.

Juice
03-30-2011, 07:10 AM
This abomination sealed the fate of the Thunderbird, which ousted the only other coupe than Ford's precious Mustang. If they ever do bring back another two-door, it certainly won't be called the T-Bird, you can be sure of that. Too bad. :(

gdsqdcr
03-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Honestly, I was never a fan of them. The originals were cool, but they just don't appeal to me.

Buy hey, if it floats your boat, drive it! It don't matter what I think. :beer:

RoyLPita
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I have the stand for the hardtop.

MrBluGruv
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I seriously love those cars and wish I could have found one in my price range. I'm pretty sure I would've taken one over the Camaro even with the huge disparity in power. If it came in stick shift, OH MAN.

Problem is that they still sell second-hand for ridiculous amounts of money.

rayjay
03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
As far as I know the retro Bird has the exact same under pinnings as my wifes LS8. Not a drag car, but no slouch either. Will easily out handle my Marauder. Now for the bad, the Jag engine gets rotten MPG and requires premium. The best I ever have gotten with it is 22mpg on a long trip and its completely stock. My Marauder regularly gets 24-25mpg on the same trip and willl eat the LS8's lunch in a race.

jerrym3
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
rayjay

My wife's 2004 LS 8 Sport will get upper 20's, straight highway.

Bird should be about the same (motor and trans are identical, LS suspension is tighter), but, I can't say for sure, because, in Ford's infinite wisdom, they left out the trip computer as well as many features that the LS already had..

LS handles better, Bird is heavier especially with the 80lb hardtop on.

bugsyc

My wife hates the Bird. Messes her hair. (Hates the Galaxie, too. Same reason.)

Loves to dust off other cars with her LS.

rayjay
03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
rayjay

My wife's 2004 LS 8 Sport will get upper 20's, straight highway.

Bird should be about the same (motor and trans are identical, LS suspension is tighter), but, I can't say for sure, because, in Ford's infinite wisdom, they left out the trip computer as well as many features that the LS already had..

LS handles better, Bird is heavier especially with the 80lb hardtop on.

bugsyc

My wife hates the Bird. Messes her hair. (Hates the Galaxie, too. Same reason.)

Loves to dust off other cars with her LS.

Man did I get the wrong LS8. Ours is a 02, had really low miles for the build year when we bought it in 2010 and was in showroom condition. Had been owned by the dealership owner's daughter inlaw. I know these folks, so I know it was well maintained. We do country driving and we're lucky to average 17mpg. Like I said, two long distance trips and never saw better than 22mpg, usually 20-21, but that was loaded with 4 people (2 teen girls) and a really full trunk. If it wasn't all paid for I'd get rid of it just because of the fuel mileage. I plan on changing the plugs this spring, if we ever have one. I'll switch it over to Royal Purple oil from Pennzsoil Platinum. Maybe that will help. I know its good for 1.5 extra mpg in my Marauder. I'm sure the boozegas we are forced to use hurts the mpg. At $4 a gallon for 93 its getting costly to use. No 91 here. I've tried mixing 89&93, 50/50, with mixed results. My wife is using my Aveo full time now for her college commute. It cut our gas bill in half. I was just cleared to drive again after surgery, ATX only so I get the LS to drive :D I'll see if I can coax better mileage out of it locally. The Mrs is always in a race mode. Thats why she rarely gets to use the Marauder. :rolleyes: :burnout:

SC Cheesehead
03-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Nice car, I like the style, unfortuantely, I can't fit in the car with the top up.

Marauderman has a green one that is the ****nitts, beautiful car and very well maintainted.

Vortex
03-31-2011, 06:50 AM
I think they look pretty nice and I loved the black car with the white top look. Unfortunately, when I sat in the car my head was about 5 inches above the top of the windshield. I was like that dude "Jaws".

SC Cheesehead
03-31-2011, 06:56 AM
I think they look pretty nice and I loved the black car with the white top look. Unfortunately, when I sat in the car my head was about 5 inches above the top of the windshield. I was like that dude "Jaws".

I can relate to that! ;)

If I had one, it would have to be a "sunny day only" driver.

jerrym3
03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
It is a ritual to get in with the top on, and I'm only 5'10".

You have to get in kind of sideways, but only halfway.

Lean out and pull the door halfway shut. Then, swing your legs in, get in all the way, and shut the door.

If you get in with the door wide open, it's a PITA to reach all the way out to get the handle without smacking your head.

It's a pain, but you get used to it.

I've never driven a pre 03 Bird or LS, but they say there is a noticeable improvement in engine performance in the newer models. (A mechanic I know has an 02 LS, and he says my 04 LS is quicker.)

rayjay
03-31-2011, 02:13 PM
I've never driven a pre 03 Bird or LS, but they say there is a noticeable improvement in engine performance in the newer models. (A mechanic I know has an 02 LS, and he says my 04 LS is quicker.)

The LS 8 engine was upgraded almost 30hp in 03 from the 02 model year. IIRC, our 02 is 252HP at the crank. More than enough for my lead foot Lucy Mrs.

jerrym3
05-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Added ww tires yesterday. Bumped up one size to 235/55/17.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Mobile%20Uploads/0430111354.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Mobile%20Uploads/0429111036.jpg

SpartaPerformance
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice car. I love the look! If you own that I would suggest going to your local Ford dealer and buy the Permiumcare ESP warranty. That car has some expensive TSB's and parts in general.... after all it's shortened Jaguar S-Type

Marauderman
05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Nice car, I like the style, unfortuantely, I can't fit in the car with the top up.

Marauderman has a green one that is the ****nitts, beautiful car and very well maintainted.

Thank you my friend...I was just gonna say we have an '04 ....its so fun to drive ..........and thaniks for the compliment............I'll tell Kathy ..........

jerrym3
05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I figure once I get my Galaxie motor swap done, and get back my 2nd garage bay, I'll be able to take off the TBird hardtop.

The combination of black, ww tires, and saddle interior should be very interesting.

I'm done with all the "under hood" stuff on the Galaxie (finished painting the hood hinges today, a real b***h, and the inner lip on the fenders). Waiting for exhaust manifolds, and in she goes.

All that's left to do is install new padding under the hood.

After this coming weekend, she should be running.