PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel

Dragcity
03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
I am going to look at a biodiesel production unit this weekend. A friend of a freind bought one a bit ago and never used it.... I would love to be able to make my own fuel. I have a 7.3 liter Powerstroke Diesel I drive for work every day. I put about 15,000 miles per year on it.... Diesel is now $4.11 per gallon. How great would that be to take my $3,200 annual fuel bill down to under $500.?

Here in Buffalo, NY, seems almost everything is deep fried, should have plenty of source oil.

Question to all you is.... Does anyone make their own biodiesel? I am eager to learn and give this a try.

Marauderjack
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Joe,

There's a guy here that burns it in a Ford 350 Dually and I followed him for about 15 miles......it smelled like Krispy Kreme donuts, French Fries, and Fried Flounder with a touch of KFC Chicken.....my salivary glands went into OVERDRIVE!!!:eek: I could have followed him the rest of the day but I had to go get something to eat FAST!!!:help:

The real kicker is sewing up your oil sources!!:cool: Down here used cooking oil went from free to over a buck a gallon awhile back when fuel prices spiked!!:argue:

There is a company here (Greenline Ind.) that produces commercial Biodiesel equipment and they are about to go under since fuel prices went down!!:shake:

Good luck with the equipment but make sure you can get the used oil first!!:beer:

Dragcity
03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Jack. I have a major university just up the street and a lot if folks that I know work there.

Marauderjack
03-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks Jack. I have a major university just up the street and a lot if folks that I know work there.

Go for it......you will wanna pipe the exhaust inside but DON'T!!:eek:

Haggis
04-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Northern Tool has a biodiesel maker in their catalog, do not remember how much it went for right now. Will check when I get home, if you are interested.

Dragcity
04-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Absolutely check on that. I am going to look at the one here rhea weekend or on Monday.

Haggis
04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Absolutely check on that. I am going to look at the one here rhea weekend or on Monday.

Will do.

rayjay
04-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a really good idea. Whats involved, something other than purifying the used oil?

Dragcity
04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
It does not sound too hard. Basically one gets used vegetable oil and filters it, just getting the debris out.

That gets tested for Free Fatty Acids to determine the appropriate amount of Methanol and Lye. That all get gets mixed well and warmed for a couple hours. Then is sets and settles for about a day. What all that does is pulls the glycerine out of the oil. Glycerine is removed and leaves you with Biodiesel fuel.

Another step can and should be added, called washing. A fine mist of regular water is sprayed on the biodiesel. That settles to the bottom and removes any residual glycerine and very fine particulates. The water is removed and the cleaned biodiesel is filtered through 5 microns or less and ready to be burned.

From what I have read, this is usable in concentrations up to 100% in warmer months, but in the colder months, probably only be able to run 25% unless I add a heater to the on-board fuel system to keep the fuel thin and flowing.

If this works out, I'll be able to save quite a few bucks.

That's the good thing about this way of processing, no special things needed for your vehicle. Another good thing is the lubricity of biodiesel surpasses that of petro diesel.

I like the idea of using a waste product and burning cleaner.

rayjay
04-01-2011, 08:38 AM
If this works out, I'll be able to save quite a few bucks.

Yea until someone rats you out to DEC that you are running a fuel refinery in a residential neighborhood. Video at 11... :shake:

Dragcity
04-01-2011, 08:56 AM
The crazy thing is that all the ingredients/byproducts are organinc and biodegradable.

Methanol - just alcohol. You can use ethanol, just need more of it....

Lye. Actually used in food production, soap production and for cleaning ovens and drains.......

Glycerine - used in soap. Great degreaser. I will find a use for this.

Guess I should check wiht local authorities. Cheetowaga is a finicky town.....

Haggis
04-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Also check out a company called 'Monster Diesel' from Baltimore.

rayjay
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
I didn't want to rain on your parade, but there is always some yeahoo who gets his jollies taking a piss on someone's good fortune. Too many dirtbags, too little ammo.

Dragcity
04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
too little ammo.

That is EXACTLY why I make my own ammo too....... Just ordered .223 dies. Next up - .308

rayjay
04-01-2011, 09:35 AM
That is EXACTLY why I make my own ammo too....... Just ordered .223 dies. Next up - .308

So your son got the rifle?

Dragcity
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Not yet. Working on finding a reasonable and suitable FFL to order it. He has decided on DSA FN FAL SA - 58 CONGO. I think there is a six week build wait on them....

Haggis
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Northern Tool has an automated biodiesel 50gal processor for $9,999 and a 100gal processor for $14,999. Both are CE certified and is on page 256 of their catalog. Did I forget the free shipping!!!!

rayjay
04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Northern Tool has an automated biodiesel 50gal processor for $9,999 and a 100gal processor for $14,999. Both are CE certified and is on page 256 of their catalog. Did I forget the free shipping!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: holy kamoly

Dragcity
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah... That's a bit outta my 'budget' I am hoping to get this one for under 500 clams.

Haggis
04-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Yeah... That's a bit outta my 'budget' I am hoping to get this one for under 500 clams.

It is automated, plug in add chemicals and 48hrs later diesel fuel.

I will check the price on the non-automated one for you later. (same page)

Ladyhawke
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
They have an 80gal processor for $3,499 and a 40gal processor $2,499. That is the lowest they have.

~Haggis

Dragcity
04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks. I am hoping that is the unit for sale. I don't need fully automated. This way. Mine can run on beer!

Dragcity
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Unit looked great. Never used. Instuctions, pumps, containers, all lines and valves, heater.... and 55 gallons of metanol and 150 pounds of lye.

Picking it up on Saturday.

Illhave to stock up on fuel filters for the first severaltanks full.

rayjay
04-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Unit looked great. Never used. Instuctions, pumps, containers, all lines and valves, heater.... and 55 gallons of metanol and 150 pounds of lye.

Picking it up on Saturday.

Illhave to stock up on fuel filters for the first severaltanks full.

I applaud your ambition and truly hope this works out. :beer: The President wants you to buy a small car. That is the fools answer to high gas prices... Who the hell actually elected this guy????

Dragcity
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Already have 3 sources for waste oil.

Need to clean out my shed this weekend.....

Marauderjack
04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
"Buffalo Joe" Super Diesel!!!!:beer::bows: :banana2: