PDA

View Full Version : Check this engine out.

CBT
04-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Pretty neat, scope out the blower perched on top of it.

http://www.10news.com/news/27392687/detail.html

Fosters
04-01-2011, 06:11 AM
That's a lot like the old fairbanks opposed diesel engines. Not a new concept unfortunately. It's a 2 stroke basically, so I don't see it ever passing current emissions... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine

Here's another one that promises to be the alpha and omega of engines... I found this one to be a bit more interesting due to the compressed air storage thing.

http://www.scuderigroup.com/

Joe Walsh
04-01-2011, 06:12 AM
The News video states that "Johnson has already met with potential customers in China and India"

Well....
That means that his engine idea/technology has already been stolen, copied and will be on the market years before the inventor's engine.....:rolleyes:

SC Cheesehead
04-01-2011, 06:15 AM
The News video states that "Johnson has already met with potential customers in China and India"

Well....
That means that his engine idea/technology has already been stolen, copied and will be on the market years before the inventor's engine.....:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing... :rolleyes:

CBT
04-01-2011, 06:16 AM
That's a lot like the old fairbanks opposed diesel engines. Not a new concept unfortunately. It's a 2 stroke basically, so I don't see it ever passing current emissions... :( <----I believe in the video, dude said the difference with his engine is it is "cleaner" for the environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine

Here's another one that promises to be the alpha and omega of engines... I found this one to be a bit more interesting due to the compressed air storage thing.

http://www.scuderigroup.com/

Well....

You said it, 5 year old Chinese kids are already being assigned a factory to build these in when they turn 13.

Joe Walsh
04-01-2011, 06:23 AM
:hmmm:

Instead of the 'opposed piston engine' maybe they should name it something more exciting...like the 'DP er'.

:eek:

rayjay
04-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Interesting no mention of any meaningful numbers, just that its better. Better than what, 7 mpg in a OTR bus?

Haggis
04-01-2011, 08:04 AM
You said it, 5 year old Chinese kids are already being assigned a factory to build these in when they turn 13.

Why wait so long, those kids should be trained when they turn 9.

Pat
04-02-2011, 05:42 AM
I find this concept interesting and in today's greener environment, heartening. The infrastructure to support this engine IE, gas stations, is already established. The electric cars need someplace to plug in (no, you can't use my garage outlet).

His idea, apparently not new, has overcome the emissions hurtle.

BTW, what ever happened to the Wankel design? Wasn't that supposed to be fuel efficient too?

fastblackmerc
04-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Looks like a roots and centrifugal blowers.

Joe Walsh
04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I find this concept interesting and in today's greener environment, heartening. The infrastructure to support this engine IE, gas stations, is already established. The electric cars need someplace to plug in (no, you can't use my garage outlet).

His idea, apparently not new, has overcome the emissions hurtle.

BTW, what ever happened to the Wankel design? Wasn't that supposed to be fuel efficient too?

The Wankel/rotary engine is a poor engine from a thermodynamic standpoint and gets really crappy fuel economy....especially when you consider their small CID.
They do make a lot of power and rev like a demon!

Bigdogjim
04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Interesting no mention of any meaningful numbers, just that its better. Better than what, 7 mpg in a OTR bus?

Hey Ray we are getting 7 MPG's now:)

A 12 speed trans fitted to a Cat get 13.5 MPG's :bows:

Bigdogjim
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Well....

In talks with China?India does not mean they have given the inter working of the engine, or the plans to build it.

rayjay
04-03-2011, 05:01 AM

Why you were my info source for that comment, Thanks. :beer:

GAMike
04-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Guessing it also means that the Big Three have already been pitched and are not interested.........

Well....

Fosters
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM

WTF, a bus gets better fuel economy than my excursion... :o