PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Players- String Question

massacre
04-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Hello All-

I was just wondering what gauge strings you guys play?

Personally I've been using use a combination of two different string sets for decades. I like the bigger-gauge strings, better tone and sustain.

My string gauges are as follows:

18p

This is a combo of the top 3 strings from the Ernie Ball Power Slinky set, and the bottom 3 strings from the Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom set.

Just wondering what others here are using....?

soultosoul13
04-05-2011, 05:37 AM
i use DR 11's on my telecasters. gotta be DR strings. i played slinkys for a long time and now i dont know why i ever did. DRs last longer and stay in tune better. i used to snap at least one slinky per night.
for electric slide i use 12's or 13's depending on what i can find.
on my nationals i use martin marquis. i think they are a 13 set, but i swap out the high E for a 16.

illwood
04-05-2011, 05:46 AM
I guess I'm more typical of the lighter gauge group.

My electrics get D'Addario EXL110s (10-46) and my acoustic gets Martin Acoustic SP Custom Lights (11-52).

I'm not a particularly aggressive picker, so those do the job.

BTW, anyone interested in my starting a thread showing the build of a Firefly 1 Watt tube amp?

massacre
04-05-2011, 05:53 AM
i use DR 11's on my telecasters. gotta be DR strings. i played slinkys for a long time and now i dont know why i ever did. DRs last longer and stay in tune better. i used to snap at least one slinky per night.
for electric slide i use 12's or 13's depending on what i can find.
on my nationals i use martin marquis. i think they are a 13 set, but i swap out the high E for a 16.

I used to use Martin Marquis strings years a go, maybe the "slik and steel" sets?
I always liked them, they sounded great and lasted a long time.

I don't break strings a lot, and I do bend the crap out of them. The slinkys have served me well over time. I swear the old Power Slinkys were 12s, the newer ones are 11s.

That's cool that you have Nationals, wanted one for a long time, just never got around to getting one.

And a 16 for high E? That's insane!

massacre
04-05-2011, 05:53 AM
BTW, anyone interested in my starting a thread showing the build of a Firefly 1 Watt tube amp?

^^^ Absolutely!

RacerX
04-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Ernie Ball Super Slinky or Hybrid Slinky on my electrics. D'Addario flat top bronze on the acoustics (12-16-24-32-42-53). Nothing like practicing on thick acoustic strings then jumping on the thin electrics to make them sing. Didn't know you played Rob! Cool! :beer:

a_d_a_m
04-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (the neon green package)

Mote
04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
For standard tuning electrics,
Fender-scale(25.5") .011 .014 .018p .028 .038 .048
Gibson-scale(24.75") .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046

Tuned 1/2 step down (I did this for years, years ago)
All guitars .011 .014 .018p .028 .038 .048

I play way too heavy-handed for thin strings. I keep the action plenty high for zero buzz ever and extra traction for bending. With the thicker strings it sounds fat and works great for slide too.

The acoustic gets whatever. Crap guitar and it has electric strings half the time.

Lignum
04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I alway use d'addario guitar strings in a 10 on my strat. There is something about my skin that makes strings rust away in a week and the d'addario seem to resist that.

soultosoul13
04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I used to use Martin Marquis strings years a go, maybe the "slik and steel" sets?
I always liked them, they sounded great and lasted a long time.

I don't break strings a lot, and I do bend the crap out of them. The slinkys have served me well over time. I swear the old Power Slinkys were 12s, the newer ones are 11s.

That's cool that you have Nationals, wanted one for a long time, just never got around to getting one.

And a 16 for high E? That's insane!

nationals are the best guitar in the world. totally worth the money.
dont worry that 16 is tuned to a D:D

soultosoul13
04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
^^^ Absolutely!

i second that emotion.

Ozark Marauder
04-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Thomastik-Infeld Steel/Magnecore Round Wound Medium Light, .010 - .045 Power Brights, for the PRS Studio.................

massacre
04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
For standard tuning electrics,
Fender-scale(25.5") .011 .014 .018p .028 .038 .048
Gibson-scale(24.75") .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046

^^^ I find it interesting that you use different gauge strings for different scale lengths. I've always used the same string gauge on both scale lengths.
Any advantage to the different gauge, or just a preference?

I also use electric strings on my acoustic, but that's an old POS Yamaha that I got for free. I use it just for practice only. I remember using the Martin Marquis on my good acoustics (Alvarez), and the Dean Markley blue steel strings a couple times.

soultosoul13
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
^^^ I find it interesting that you use different gauge strings for different scale lengths. I've always used the same string gauge on both scale lengths.
Any advantage to the different gauge, or just a preference?

I also use electric strings on my acoustic, but that's an old POS Yamaha that I got for free. I use it just for practice only. I remember using the Martin Marquis on my good acoustics (Alvarez), and the Dean Markley blue steel strings a couple times.

shorter scale guitars have less string tension, so strings feel less stiff. alot of guys run heavier strings on shorter scale guitars to compensate for this.
(ie, it makes their gibsons "feel" more like fenders)
this is the first ive heard of someone running heavier strings on longer scale guitar....but hey, what do i know?!

illwood
04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
For those that want to see that amp build, here is a shameless plug for it ;)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70223

massacre
04-05-2011, 01:26 PM
this is the first ive heard of someone running heavier strings on longer scale guitar....but hey, what do i know?!

Oh OK that explains it......

I grew up playing Strats my whole life, couple Teles, etc.
I got into Gibsons later in life....lol.

I guess I just kept the same strings because I know them well, and like them.
I got rid of all my Fender stuff, haven't owned a Strat in over 10 years.
Nothing against them, I think just got tired of their single-coil tone and humming. Now I wire up my own circuits, fully shielded and dead quiet.

illwood
04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I think my old Strat is going to get the Kinman pickup treatment sometime this year. I still love my Les Paul, but I think I would get more use out of the Strat if it hummed less.

TooManyFords
04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
My strat has these metal type strings, not really string at all! Who'd a thought?

My Ibanez also has metal strings, and I've noticed that the ones near the top are bigger around than the ones on the bottom.

Ok, I admit I am just a beginner, like you couldn't tell. LOL!

Someday, I want to actually know which strings are on my guitars.

Motorhead350
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I use 10s. I can't stand D Adarieo (however you spell it). My favorite strings were Ernie Ball Rock N' Roll strings, but they were discontinued. :mad2: I figured they just put the phrase rock n' roll on them to sell, but they rang out really well... they were great, but like everything I like they were put to an end.

Right now I have Blue Steel only because I got a pack and a half for free. I used to use Misfits strings for the same reason, given to me.

My favorite are Ernie Ball Rock N' Roll, but I can no longer find them.

BigCars4Ever
04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
I use regular slinky's on my Strat and SG (10's) I had Super Slinkys on the SG (9's) but they seemed to have more fret buzz. I have a Wahshburn X30 with a Floyd Rose. That get's 9's. I have the trem blocked and with the 9's I can keep it feeling light. My acoustic gets whatever bronze 11's are on sale that year. It's just a crappy Martin (Sigma)