PDA

View Full Version : Bad paint job from assembly plant?

Go2GuyFL
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
While in North Miami a few months ago, I began to complain about the remaining dark brown spots on the roof of my black Marauder to the car wash attendant. He kindly pointed out they were not leftover dirt but actually rust spots as the paint bubbled and cracked.

Yesterday, I dropped off the car to a good friend who does body work with all the necessary supplies to strip, resurface, and paint the roof. He believes something other than water caused the bond between the paint and the metal to break loose, allowing it to bubble and crack.

I've heard others complain about the "bad paint" in other threads. Any additional thoughts?

Bigdogjim
04-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes Aug, '02 first two weeks. Too much solvent left in the paint line.

tbone
04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Yes Aug, '02 first two weeks. Too much solvent left in the paint line.

It was longer than that. Mine is a June '02 car that had it. Most of it has been fixed though. I've personally seen an '04 car with it.

jstevens
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey tbone, I'll keep an eye out as my build date is June 07, 2002.

tbone
04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey tbone, I'll keep an eye out as my build date is June 07, 2002.

Mine is June 27, 02. If you haven't seen it yet, you will never have it.

Bigdogjim
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
It was longer than that. Mine is a June '02 car that had it. Most of it has been fixed though. I've personally seen an '04 car with it.

That was from Mr. Steve Babcock.First two weeks Aug. of '02.

SC Cheesehead
04-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I've got several spots on my car as well, primarily the roof, where I'm getting some sub-surface defects appearing.

tbone
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
It really stinks, especially when you see 50 year old cars with near perect original paint jobs.

Egon Spengler
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Well you tell Mr Steve Babcock that my mid July of 02 marauder has TERRIBLE paint on the roof and hood and tops of doors.

I have watched it spread like wildfire across my hood and trunk. My car looks terrible and it isn't for lack of care.

Mr. Man
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
My paint is pretty good so far except where the pterodactyl in Pa crapped on the trunk. May '02 build

tbone
04-06-2011, 01:56 PM

I think he would be fired if he told the truth about these paint jobs at the time.

I had the same problem with my 94 Probe GT. Ford has had this problem pop up for a VERY long time!:shake:

Jim Pinchot
05-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I just had my roof, hood, deck lid and both rear quarters stripped to bare metal then etched to get rid of the rust problem under the factory paint. The rest of the car was disassembled, racked in two paint booths and completely repainted with PPG black paint and 3 coats of clear. I'm finally happy with my favorite car in the world. The body shop... Excaliber in Cleveland, Ohio claims that they see this problem alot with Black Ford paint on other vehicles as well. I was never happy with the paint finish from day one and then the rust pits really pissed me off since they popped 3 months after the car was paid off!! JPinchot@jmpind.com

rayjay
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I just had my roof, hood, deck lid and both rear quarters stripped to bare metal then etched to get rid of the rust problem under the factory paint. The rest of the car was disassembled, racked in two paint booths and completely repainted with PPG black paint and 3 coats of clear. I'm finally happy with my favorite car in the world. The body shop... Excaliber in Cleveland, Ohio claims that they see this problem alot with Black Ford paint on other vehicles as well. I was never happy with the paint finish from day one and then the rust pits really pissed me off since they popped 3 months after the car was paid off!! JPinchot@jmpind.com

I would hate to even ask you what that cost you to have done. :eek:

Bluerauder
05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I've got several spots on my car as well, primarily the roof, where I'm getting some sub-surface defects appearing.

Same ^^^^^ here on a Blue MM that was built on 10 January 2003. Blacks were the first to show. Then Blues. DTRs are next based on heat absorption indexes - darker to lighter. Silver will be last to show this .... if at all ... since they reflect more than absorb heat. I think that exposure to the sun, heat and elements accelerates the process of roof blistering. And, I am pretty sure that the problem wasn't restricted to just 2 weeks in August of 2002. SCCheesehead's Blue MM was a June 2003 build as I recall.

-Matt-
05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
mines bad.... but its a bad clear coat... same issue?

tbone
05-12-2011, 08:01 PM
mines bad.... but its a bad clear coat... same issue?

Sea Foam it!:beer:

LOWBUCKMM
05-13-2011, 07:21 PM

i think he is talking about my 04. its doing the same thing. and i tried to get it warrenty when i first got it cause, the bumper to bumper was still good. and the dealer said that ford wont fix it.

justbob
05-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Mines perfect. I think exposure to the elements, mostly the sun, causes it. Mine has been garage kept since '04 and rarely ever spends an entire day outside. IIRC it's a June '02 build.

tbone
05-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Mines perfect. I think exposure to the elements, mostly the sun, causes it. Mine has been garage kept since '04 and rarely ever spends an entire day outside. IIRC it's a June '02 build.

Mine was 6/27/02. Most of my blisters have been fixed. And you have none? Go figure!

F8LBITEva
05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
hmmm glad I have a silver!

tbone
05-15-2011, 04:39 PM
hmmm glad I have a silver!

I hear you, but the Marauder just looks so damn good in black!:coolman:

Dereck
05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi

Black, built September 2002 and bad paint on all upper facing surfaces.

Rgards

Dereck

jimlam56
05-17-2011, 10:49 AM

I sure would like to see some pictures of the process your car went through.