PDA

View Full Version : Turning 30 in a few years got me thinking Old School

dj_pizm
04-07-2011, 05:38 AM
I'm 27 and 30 is not that far off. I owe a little over $4k on my '03 Black MM (71k miles) and I own a '98 Black chevy Monte Carlo Z34. Ok to get to the point 30 is not far for me and I'm thinking about getting an old school car. Maybe '71-75 Chevy Impala , '84-88 Montel Carlo SS, or maybe even an '85-89 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z. Where I need opinions and reference from personal experience is should I buy one that's already clean or get one that I have to put money into. Like I seen a '87 Monte SS all original and clean for $8500 and also seen one for $2500 that had no engine but the body was clean. Any advice would be helpful! And a little about me is I wouldn't say I'm cheap but I rather keep $4k in savings rather than to pay my car off early.

musclemerc
04-07-2011, 05:42 AM
It all depends on your mechanical skills DJ. If you can do the work yourself then find one on the cheap. If you gotta pay top dollar to get it fixed up then buy one already done.

Either way a car that old will cost you something to maintain it.

illwood
04-07-2011, 06:04 AM
It all depends on your mechanical skills DJ. If you can do the work yourself then find one on the cheap. If you gotta pay top dollar to get it fixed up then buy one already done.

Either way a car that old will cost you something to maintain it.

Agreed.

I would say that the best thing to look for is a good body and frame (or sub-frame as the case may be). You don't want to buy a Bondo-Bucket with an OK paint job because you will eventually be disappointed. Not to say that a car with bodywork is bad, but it should be done correctly with the appropriate replacement panels. I feel that the mechanical bits (engine, tranny, and so on) are easier for most people to replace and/or rebuild that getting a frame or body right.

I would compare it to looking to buy a house. Does it matter if the house you are looking at has new windows, flooring, and appliances if the frame has dry-rot or extensive termite damage?

SID210SA
04-07-2011, 06:16 AM
I would pay off the Marauder first.....then you will have extra cash flow to play with.

LIGHTNIN1
04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this, but I have tried it both ways and have found the best way for me to go is to find one that has been taken care of and needs little work. I owned an '86 Monte Carlo SS for 5 years that had been taken care of and it was one of the best cars I ever owned.It got the most positive comments of any car I ever owned. It was black with red striping. Very simple car to fix also.

dj_pizm
04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
No mechanical skills but I was thinking it might be cheaper to pay to get engine and body work done over a period of time. @Muscle Merc

Ok @ illwood

Makes sense @ SID

Thanks 2 all

dj_pizm
04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this, but I have tried it both ways and have found the best way for me to go is to find one that has been taken care of and needs little work. I owned an '86 Monte Carlo SS for 5 years that had been taken care of and it was one of the best cars I ever owned.It got the most positive comments of any car I ever owned. It was black with red striping. Very simple car to fix also.

Funny u say that because I found one at a car lot '87 for $8500 in great original condition inside and out. No rust, tee tops look new with no leaks and even original radio and gmc covers for tee tops. They will even finance for an extra thousand bucks with 5500 down. Problem is they offer no warranty at all not even 30 days.

Vortex
04-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Pay off your car is the best advice I can give.

LIGHTNIN1
04-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Funny u say that because I found one at a car lot '87 for $8500 in great original condition inside and out. No rust, tee tops look new with no leaks and even original radio and gmc covers for tee tops. They will even finance for an extra thousand bucks with 5500 down. Problem is they offer no warranty at all not even 30 days.

I can't say what they would go for in your area though that would be high for here. When I sold mine two years ago it had perfect grey interior, 120K miles, paint was fair but needed paint job in two years, ran good and needed no immediate attention and I was only able to sell for $4 K. There is not much demand for them here now even though it is a good car.

Motorhead350
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM
6-4 Impala.

wickedmerc
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I've noticed 80's era cars making a comeback. A lot of Iroc's, GTA's and fox body 5.0's popping up. Unfortunately this makes their prices rise.
I wandered through the Miami-area Craigslist for kicks and found a few there. Nice Iroc prices seem to mirror Monte SS prices. Good luck!!

Big Black Beast
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Pay off your car and keep a lookout for a good deal on something.
I like '80's cars, but avoid them because the emissions can be a pain.

MOTOWN
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
i would pay off the mm first, dont spread your self so thin you cant keep insurance, and gas in them, let alone maintain, and or mod them.

the types of cars your interested in are going to take some $$$ to get them right, i had an i-roc z loved it, but it was always needing something, injectors, maf, starter, water pump, shocks, etc

LANDY
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
buy a clean one then make it better.

F8LBITEva
04-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Im a Ford fan through and through but I love me a 87 monte Carlo SS. I think its because my dad loves them so much. Id love to have the money to buy a nice one to give to my dad.

MOTOWN
04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
speaking of the monte ss my father has an 87, he put a zz4 h.o. 350 in it, and got a custom chrome tuned port from street & performance.

hes a straight up chevy guy! also has a 70 chevelle ss

dj_pizm
04-08-2011, 06:06 AM
i would pay off the mm first, dont spread your self so thin you cant keep insurance, and gas in them, let alone maintain, and or mod them.

the types of cars your interested in are going to take some $$$ to get them right, i had an i-roc z loved it, but it was always needing something, injectors, maf, starter, water pump, shocks, etc

Yeah I know what u mean , went thru the same with my '98 Monte Z the past year about $2500. And don't feel its worth it

dj_pizm
04-08-2011, 06:10 AM
speaking of the monte ss my father has an 87, he put a zz4 h.o. 350 in it, and got a custom chrome tuned port from street & performance.

hes a straight up chevy guy! also has a 70 chevelle ss

Being where I'm from I'm also a Chevy guy at heart but the Marauders was a must!!!!!

dj_pizm
04-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Pay off your car is the best advice I can give.

::banana2: That's what she said!

Mac-MerC
04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
forget a monte, get a grand national

Mr. Man
04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Old school is a 1980's car?:eek: I guess for you younger guys it is but it made me laugh..:lol: How about a Fox bodied Mustang? Lots of them out there for not much and there is a huge aftermarket.:)

dj_pizm
04-09-2011, 08:54 AM
forget a monte, get a grand national

I would love a Nat'l but that's big bucks and they steal them in Miami-Dade county while u driving!

dj_pizm
04-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Old school is a 1980's car?:eek: I guess for you younger guys it is but it made me laugh..:lol: How about a Fox bodied Mustang? Lots of them out there for not much and there is a huge aftermarket.:)

Yeah u right should of said an '80s classic and I'm about to google fox bodied mustang, but I do like the 90 5.0. :bandit:

Mr. Man
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah u right should of said an '80s classic and I'm about to google fox bodied mustang, but I do like the 90 5.0. :bandit:
I had an '88 T-top and wish I still had it. It didn't leak!!. 4 eyed foxes are getting popular (??-86?) then they went to the aero noses. 87-88 had the turbine wheels and I think in 89 or 90 they went to a spoke set up. I believe the next big change was 1994 when they went to the body style that precedes the current style.:)