PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a thing for home theater?

woaface
12-30-2003, 10:11 PM
I love it. If anyone has any comments or interests or even just want to list what they're runnin to blow the neighbors from their beds a block down...yack away.

I started mine when I was 10 or 11. I'm pretty much done.

Samsung 32inch flat screen HD ready TV
Sony 5 disc player running digitally to the...
Onkyo TSX600 receiver (Projects the thumping and boooming and screaming to the...)
Definitive Technologies Prosub 200TL (12inch500wattpeakamp)and the...
DCM 10 front speakers (and the...)
DCM6c Center Channel (and the...)
Jensen Bookshelfs
Panasonic VHS player
PlayStation2 for DVD (Eh...)
Monster Cables
XM Satellite Radio! (Whoa, this hurr thang is comin frum space!?)
Definitive Technologies Prosub 200TL (THUMP THUMP BOOM)
A big enough couch for two people to be quite comfortable:D

www.dcmspeakers.com www.definitivetech.com www.onkyousa.com www.xmradio.com

-James

duhtroll
12-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Here we have a 57" Toshiba widescreen (not plasma but when we bought it a year ago plasma just wasn't up to snuff yet)
Yamaha 500W receiver / Dolby 6.1
BOSE Acoustimass 15 speakers
Phillips 5 disc progressive scan DVD
Pioneer 100 disc CD player, dual cassette deck, and turntable (yes, turntable - us musicians do listen to those old vinyl things from time to time)
RCA VHS
DISH Network satellite/DVR
something like 17 remotes
couch with 2 reclining heated massage seats
love seat with 2 recliners
to be added: popcorn machine

no video game system in this room (worst thing to do to a projection TV is play video games on it - we do that in the other room on the 27" "disposable" TV :lol: )

I take this room as seriously as I take my MM. :D Now all I need is time to spend in it.

-A

bigslim
12-31-2003, 12:49 AM
Complete Sony hook-up here. 42 inch with Sony surround sound. Sony DVD plus a GO-Video Dual Deck hooked in.

martyo
12-31-2003, 04:18 AM
Sony 62" rear projection television
Onkyo CD Player
Yamaha 5.1 Receiver (room was recently re-wired for 6.1, and house is soon to be wired for "whole house sound", so.....)
Sony DVD
Sony VCR
SIMA A/V Switcher
Sony Antenna Booster (works great in my area where adjacent channel rejection can be troublesome)
Digital Cable
Cinepro Power Management System (old house and still some old wiring make this worthwhile)
Philips Pronto Remote (custom programmed and graphics by MOngoose - talk about something that will consume your spare time and give you something to do at 2:00 a.m.!!)
Bias lighting (try it, you'll like it!)
Interconnects galore
Recently installed wetbar (don't want to have to go all the way down to the kitchen for Diet Cokes and Snacks, now do we??)

A lot of my gear is five years old, so it is "first gen" kind of stuff, but I am still quite pleased withe the performance of my system.

The MM caused the expenditures on this room to subside, but it still rocks and, with the recent installation of the wetbar, it is clear that I either live in that room or the garage (a work in progress - more on that in another thread.....).

dwasson
12-31-2003, 06:26 AM
Toshiba 36 inch HD Ready, Pioneer Proressive Scan DVD, Kyocera Dolby Surround Amplifier, Jamo Center and Front Speakers, Mission Rear Speakers and custom folded cone subwoofer. DirecTivo, Kenwood CD player, Thorens turntable with Black Widow tone arm and Ortofon cartridge, and PC with 200 gig of MP3s and Internet Radio.

2003 MIB
12-31-2003, 06:34 AM
I guess I'd better go home tonight and check the model numbers on my stuff. I know I like it and the TV is a 36" Toshiba. the DVD stuff is all 5.1 Sony with an enhanced center channel.
What's the feeling on mixing components? Seems to me that Sony speakers would work best with Sony receiver and therefore Sony TV too- Is that B/S?
I also have 5.1 with my Dell Desktop with Altec Lansing speakers. They sound pretty good too.

CRUZTAKER
12-31-2003, 07:17 AM
60" Mitsubishi 1080i HD
Dish 500 digital twin satelite
Bose Acoustimass 15 5.1 surround
Kenwood 15" 200w secondary sub
Pioneer VSX-D409 DTS home theatre tuner
Mitsubishi progressive scan DVD*
*component video / fiber optic audio
Sony 19 micro true stereo VCR
Dedicated power and backup supply.

Chapter 20 of Star Wars episode I rocks the windows loose!!!

Agent M79
12-31-2003, 08:01 AM
13" Emerson portable TV (Case: cracked. Antenna: hanger & foil. No remote, use pliers to turn channel selector knob)

Sound Design AM/FM clock radio (cat chewed FM antenna wire off, so really just AM).

"Big Mouth" 8-track player (with Dr. Hook permanently stuck in slot)

I've got all of it wired together and dumping big sound into a couple of 6x8 car speakers right from my dad's '72 Dodge Dart. Slant 6 with a serious run on problem after the ignition was turned off. May it RIP.

Sometimes the case on the clock/radio gets pretty hot so I have it sitting where the A/C can blow on it during extended jam sessions.

The Dr. Hook 8-track is just about wore out so I'll take a screw driver to it soon and pry it out. I've got a "gently used" Captain & Tennile I've simply been on pins and needles to hear.

The TV was color but I dropped a piece of antenna foil in it and it's only in color when the screen rolls. I did, however, get a pair of mini vise-grip pliers for the UHF channel selector and so now I don't have to use the same pair to turn both of them.

I've been giving some serious thought to upgrading the speakers by putting them in actual enclosures rather than having them propped up by books and lava lamps. I guess I am just mod crazy!

Sidney
12-31-2003, 08:44 AM
All Silver finished
57 in Sony HD ready TV
Sony progressive scan DVD
Sony VCR
Rotel 1065 processor
Rotel 1095 True and clean 200 x 5 watt amp (80 pounds)
B&W souround speakers
analysis plus cable
Direct TV

Shakes the whole house. You can realy hear detail in DVDs since I upgraded from Sony recievers. Amp seem like it just keeps digging for more and more power.
Go separetes guys, you will be very happy. It just cost so much.

dhawke98
12-31-2003, 09:45 AM
Guess I don't compete real well, yet! All I have is my 48" flat screen HDTV 1080i and a bookshelf 5 DVD changer. My wife just went to work for Rockford Fosgate so in a couple months, my MM and house are going to get some new stuff. HEHE I can't wait!!!

troopcar
12-31-2003, 09:48 AM
I've been into home theatre for a few years. I've got a nice 5.1 set-up that (to me) sounds great. Especially love my Paradigm subwoofer. Watch DVDs whenever I can spare some time. If I didn't have to work and was a person of leisure I'd watch at least one movie a day!

But the thing that really rocks is that I get my High-Def digital broadcast TV signal OTA (off the air) . . . as God intended television to be received! I use a big-butt RatShack rooftop antenna and a Samsung HD set-top box (receiver). And the picture is just stunning on a digital flat-screen HD-ready TV. Don't have cable or satellite. Don't have to pay those ridiculous monthly fees and that REALLY puts a smile on my face.

It's been a long road back for NYC digital broadcast TV since the terrorists destroyed the twin towers, but they are (slowly) getting back to speed.

Whenever I can, I encourage folks to try to get their signal off-the-air, and let the cable/satellite companies stew in their constant rate increases. (But I know that some folks don't live in an area where they can get a signal and therefore have no choice.)
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/u/tv.gif
troopcar

troopcar
12-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Agent M79-

Your post is hilarious. Thanks for the good laugh!

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/r/teeth.gif
troopcar

woaface
12-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Sidney

Rotel 1065 processor
Rotel 1095 True and clean 200 x 5 watt amp (80 pounds)

I love the Rotel stuff...just don't have the $$$. Hey I take it that stuff is worth it?

Well, I haven't yet thought that maybe my sub is out powered by what you guys have...but I don't think I'm any longer proud of my TV...you guys have got some big ass tubes!

I should also mention I've got all of the remotes except the satellite radio one, programed into my Onkyo remote...that thing is great.

As for 80 pounds for an amp...dang! Mine is only 40, and the biggest one I've seen is 120lbs. That thing is from Earthquake audio, and the more you crank it up in volume, the lower the distortion gets...it's $4000.

(Measurments taken from HomeTheaterMag) The Grande's left amplifier channel, with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, began clipping at 0.0037% distortion and 245.3 watts. The amp reaches 0.1% distortion at 294.4 watts and 1% distortion at 328.9 watts, as shown above. Into 4 ohms, the amp began clipping at 0.0082% distortion and 478.6 watts and reaches 0.1% distortion at 604.4 watts and 1% distortion at 661.1 watts. The amplifier's frequency response was +0.06 /-0.19 decibels from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The response rose to +0.1 dB at 10 Hz and to -0.78 dB at 50 kHz. THD+N from the amplifier was less than 0.013% at 1 kHz, with 2.8 volts output.

Dr Caleb
12-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Yup.

Panasonic Gaoo 63" rear projection.

Bose 530 100W speakers X 5, Bose 300W subwoofer. That'll rattle your fillings.

Technics Audio/Video amplifier, Dolby 5.1 digital decoder (all glass fiber optics).

2 Sony DVD's(one plays CDR's and CDRW's, MP3's and VCD's, all fiber optic) Sony VHS.

Inputs from my computer, Playstation and pre-amped DVD, so I can record from my computer/Playstation or DVD to VCR or my computer and still watch something else. Really handy because I love Stargate SG-1 and Smallville, but they are not available in my area anymore, so I have to download them.

Lets me record them for friends who are also fans of the shows.

sailsmen
12-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Home Theater;
Proscan 32"
Left/Right B&W PS-4
B&W Center CC6S2
Paradigm PS8" Powered Sub
Rear Wilson Audio 10" Coaxial Ceiling Mounts
Rotel 5 Channel Amp RB-985
Sherwood New Castle Preamp AVP9080R
AMC CDM-7 Digital Analog via Tubes w/ Custom Transformer CD Panasonic A-120 DVD
Sony CDPCX-260 200 Carousel CD for sorting/storage
Technics DDSL-6 Linear Turn Table with AT 485RU Cartridge
NPR Speaker Router
NAD 616 dual cassette deck
RCA VCR stereo
TiVo
Audiostream & Apature Cables

Garage/Kitchen/Porch;
Sony V FET TA-4650 Amp
Rotel RC970BX Preamp
Sony ST-A35 analog tuner
Wilson Audio Coaxial Ceiling Mounts
all analog source material from above system

Bedroom, office, master bath;
Rotel Integrated RA970BX Amp
Cambridge Audio T-500 Tuner
Sony CDP C400 5 Disc CD
JVC VCR stereo
Wilson Audio 10"Coaxial Ceiling Mounts
Zenith 21"
NPR Speaker Router
all analog source material from main system

The Sony VFET and Tuner are from 1976! The Turntable 1979!

What's % is I will put my CD player up againest any and will not be embarassed, but the moderately priced turntable with a quality direct record puts any digital to shame.

2003 MIB
12-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Sailsmen,
Where do you find LPs? Do you have to special order- I haven't seen a "record" in a music store in years.

sailsmen
12-31-2003, 12:06 PM
It's an old collection. Some specialty stereo stores still carry the direct record recordings.

There's a company on the intenet that only sells records, can't recall the name.

My AMC retails for less than $1,300. The transformer went out and a local talented repair tech replaced it an did some custom work at the same time. When the stereo store got it back the store owner hooked it up and also an $8,000 Wadia, he said he could not beleive how good the AMC sounded. He said better than the Wadia.

The store owner is good, he does some custom CD recording for audiophile musicians, custom speakers mfg to his designs and personally mfgs. custom cables for mega buck systems.

I still find it % that the digital recordings still miss out on a lot of the sound compared to a direct LP. Granted they also filter out some distortions and there are no pops/clicks caused by a needle on a physical surface. I guess those "0" and "1" can only represent part of the actual sound.

2003 MIB
12-31-2003, 12:12 PM
That's interesting stuff... The first CD I was disappointed in was the digitally remastered "Dark Side of the Moon". I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means but it's a great example of "muddy" sound. I'm losing some of my midrange hearing (aren't we all?) but the contrast between vinyl and CD is drastic.
AND you can't play Dark Side of the Rainbow with CD.

studio460
12-31-2003, 01:14 PM
I went 5.1 on the cheap . . . still sounds pretty good.

System A (bedroom):

Sony WEGA 36" 4:3 flat screen CRT [bottom-of-the-line WEGA flat screen]
Sony STR-DB930 550W [true 111.5W RMS per channel] Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS A/V receiver ['DB' indicates 'ES'-type high-current power amp--'DB' series now discontinued]
Sony 2-way speakers x4 "stolen" from two Sony 100W MiniDisc stereo systems
Sony super cheap center speaker (got free in a receiver bundle with two other surround speakers that I threw away)
Sony MiniDisc player/recorder w/digital optical fiber connector
Sony DVD w/S-video out+digital optical 5.1 fiber connector
Sony Playstation2 w/S-video out (. . . just added this SECOND PS2 system in my bedroom! Hey, it was on sale!)
Microsoft X-Box w/S-video out+digital optical 5.1 fiber connector
JVC S-VHS/VHS-ET VCR w/S-video out
Radio Shack 16-gauge stranded speaker wire
Radio Shack 20-gauge solid ground wire
AT&T AC line noise suppressor
Internally soldered STR-DB930 PCB ground hardwire mod [performed by Circuit City repair facility under extended warranty]
Motorola digital cable decoder

The STR-DB930 delivers excellent 5.1 surround decoding with excellent separation either matching or exceeding the Denon decoders. Actually pretty darn decent sounding set-up. Sure, the good stuff sounds better, it just didn't sound $2,000 better, IMHO. Plus, I live in an apartment. Mixing component brands is totally fine, again, IMHO, if you know what kind of sound you like, and buy accordingly (FYI--generally, Sony speakers suck, I just happened to have a lot of them around and they look real nice--in comparison, my Infinity bookshelf speakers in the living room kick azz!).

By the way, the nice thing about having a Super VHS VCR rather than a standard VHS VCR, even if you never record in in S-VHS mode (which is a hassle because S-VHS tape stock is so expensive--I only reserve it to tape the Victoria's Secret special every year), is that you have an S-video output coming out of your VCR! The nice thing about this is you don't have to ever switch the inputs on your TV--the entire system is S-video routed through the source selector on the A/V receiver!

And another thing . . . the reason why I have so many Sony components is not because I think they're the best--they're not, at least in audio components, it's just that I like having the factory remotes work on everything without any hassle, so I try to buy only one brand of components.

System B (living room):

Sony 35" 4:3 CRT
Sony 200W ProLogic A/V receiver
Sony Playstation2 w/S-video out plus a TON of lightguns
Sony DVD/VHS combo player
Sony CD-MiniDisc high speed player/recorder w/digital optical fiber connector
Infinity 2-way bookshelf speakers x2
KLH 100W 12" subwoofer I got on sale for $150 which sounded great until I spilled a Frappucino into the power supply
Motorola digital cable decoder

Next system purchase:

Largest-azz OLED flat screen made. OLED (organic light-emitting diode) is a new flat screen, near paper-thin (approx. 1/8-inch thick) display technology that should hit retail within a year or two (or three). In the meantime, the only other option would be a DLP front projection system. If you haven't upgraded your big screen in a while, I would recommend only OLED-based (if you have the patience) or DLP-based (available in either rear or front projection systems--front is sharper) display technologies for best resolution, colorimetry, and contrast ratio.

studio460
01-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Agent M79:

I just read your post while re-reading the thread! I laughed my AZZ off! Very, very, ******ing funny.

GarageMahal
01-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Most of my gear is around 4-5 years old and I have been researching some upgrades but will probably hold off another year.

Here is an abbreviated list of my current setup:
-Zenith 900 HD CRT Front Projector projecting to a 80" diagonal picture
-Faroudja line doubler
-Sony 32" 4:3 HDTV (sits behind the screen for regular TV viewing)
-Onkyo TX-DS989 receiver
-Pioneer LD/DVD player
-Panasonic 5 disc DVD player
-2x Pioneer 100 CD changer with controller
-Dish Network model 6000 HD receiver

I will be getting the Dish HD PVR as soon as I can find one.

I absolutely love HDTV on the projector. Hockey is exceptionally beautiful in HD.

Anyway, home theater is another of my expensive passions. If only I had enough time and money... ;)

jta

woaface
01-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by GarageMahal
Most of my gear is around 4-5 years old and I have been researching some upgrades but will probably hold off another year.

Whenever you're ready drop me a line:D I'll help ya out.

jettle
01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Just got mine all hooked up last week. I replaced everything.

Pioneer PDP-4340 43" plasma
Marantz SR8300 THX receiver
Marantz DVD
Klipsch RF 35's, RC35 and RW12 Ref speakers
Monster power conditioner
About 1000.00 in Monster cable.(That killed me!). I still need to add optical audio cables in the near future.
Direct TV...waiting for Hi def tivo box to come out before I upgrade the receiver.

I did alot of research and got alot of good deals. I can help locate some good deals if anyone is in the market for new equipment.

Agent M79
01-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I updated my extensive home entertainment system!

http://www.palsite.com/newgif1/sl8000.gif

Don't be jealous of my Beta, baby!

marauder307
01-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Geez M79...that thing looks like the first VHS unit my folks bought back in '79. My dad's still got it, BTW...took it with him when the folks divorced...and it still works. It feels like it's about 100 pounds, but it's damn near indestructible.

After I got back from GTMO last year, I decided to take some of my "hard-earned" and seriously upgrade my AV suite. Actually I didn't have much of an AV suite...just an old 13" JVC TV that I've had since 1989, a VHS (bought in the early '90s...no remote) and a P-M DVD player that I "misappropriated" some student loan funds to buy about 3 years ago. A trip to Circuit City was in order (Montgomery still didn't have a Best Buy at the time, but it was being built). Here's what I ended up coming away with:

GE 40" projection HDTV-capable TV
Bose 3-2-1 HTS

Added Charter Digital Cable + Pipeline when I got moved in in STL. Now I've got double-stack DVD players (never got rid of the P-M DVD...it just doesn't play some of these newer discs with their funky encoding), home theater that while it's probably not as booming as some of the 5-spkr setups, it still gets the job done, and a big-ass TV. Well, sorta. Hey, I live in a rental apartment, it's the best I can do. HDTV is next...I understand Charter will sell me a box and tack on 10$/month to my bill for it...

martyo
01-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by NBC Shooter
The nice thing about this is you don't have to ever switch the inputs on your TV--the entire system is S-video routed through the source selector on the A/V receiver!

They make some nice A/V switchers for this purpose as well. I use a SIMA switcher and everything happens automatically when I switch devices in use.

And another thing . . . the reason why I have so many Sony components is not because I think they're the best--they're not, at least in audio components, it's just that I like having the factory remotes work on everything without any hassle, so I try to buy only one brand of components.

They make a lot of great remotes now so that you can get rid of the 17 or 18 remotes that you have laying around and combine them all into one. I use a Philips Pronto and it is a lot of fun to set up and work with. If you like modding the MM, you'll have fun with this remote.

You guys ought to take a look at another site I frequent for remote controls: www.remotecentral.com. They run a nice site there and it is pretty user friendly. Like the good folks here, the folks there are always willing to lend a hand.

Mark McQuaide
01-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Mitsu Diamond 65" widescreen HD monitor
Mirage Speaker system:
OM-7 towers
OM C2 Center
OM-R2 Surrounds
BPS-150i Sub
Denon 3802 receiver
Panny RP91 DVD player w/DVD-audio
Sony HD-100 HD receiver
DirecTV HD system
Channel Master 8-bay UHF antenna w/ Weingard preamp (attic mounted w/ rotator)

Some pics:

Mark McQuaide
01-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Another...

studio460
01-07-2004, 03:47 PM
GarageMahal:

About how much did you pay for your Faroudja line doubler? Which model? Thanks.

dailydriver
01-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Main room:
Toshiba 36" HD TV
Kenwood 5.1 DTS receiver
Toshiba progressive scan DVD
Toshiba VCR
Kilpsch/Yamaha speakers
Dish Network w/dvr
PS2

Bedroom:
27" Phillips(soon to be upgraded to a plasma)
Sony 5.1
Phillips DVD

Garage:
Sony 5.1
Kenwood CD
DCM bookself speakers

GarageMahal
01-07-2004, 04:55 PM
GarageMahal:

About how much did you pay for your Faroudja line doubler? Which model? Thanks.

I got it as a package deal with the Zenith projector so I can't give an exact price. The Zenith was used to train installers so I got a really good deal. $7500 for both in 1998. I think they said the doubler went for around $4k new and the projector was $12k new at the time.

I will need to look up the model number but 5600 jumps into my head although that might not be at all close.

jta

woaface
01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Here's my stuff, sorry the pictures suck, camera doesn't work well in low level to medium level light situations.

That sub is a killer for $490!
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showgallery.php/cat/512/password/

MarauderMike
01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Problem with Home Theater is, it's addictive!
Here we go;
Mitsubishi Diamond 56" WideScreen rear projection
Studio Experience 17sf DLP High Definition Projector
110" diagonal screen
Mitsubishi SR-HD5 High Definition Directv receiver
Denon AVR 3803 Surrond Receiver
Panasonic DVD H1000 DVD/cd player
Toshiba 2109 DVD player
Velodyne 15" powered subwoofer
Eosone RSF400 Tower Speaker
Eosone RSC 300 Center Channel
Eosone RSR 350 Surround Speakers
Sony VHS (why? I have no idea)
and just for a backup a Sherwood New Castle AVR Surround Receiver.

Nothing like a good movie, big screens and DTS sound! Who has the popcorn?

woaface
01-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MarauderMike
Problem with Home Theater is, it's addictive!
Nothing like a good movie, big screens and DTS sound! Who has the popcorn?

AMEN to THAT! I tell ya, I just got DTS 6.1 a couple months ago and I can't stand to not see that little red and white box on the back of DVDs and DVD-As when I rent or buy them. Still missing enough sitting equitment...each step takes an annoying amount of time to convince my parents that I need (or need them to) buy.

I turn to my subscription of HomeTheater for most of my questions....and thirst for pictures of stuff I can't afford:lol:

MarauderMike
01-07-2004, 08:16 PM
6.1 is nice, but the room has to be big enough to justify it. I had it setup for a while, but I don't feel you really gain that much from the extra channel, at least not yet anyway.
Forgot to mention seating.
Lazy Boy double recliner couch,
Lazy Boy double recliner love seat
Two Berkline Home Theater power recliners.
Yes, I am spoiled!:D

woaface
01-08-2004, 07:40 AM
My theater room is big...maybe a little too big...
15 feet wide by 34 feet deep with 8 feet of head clearance.

Yeah, I didn't mention my Sennheiser T40 Wireless Headphones! Those puppies are great!

Firedab
02-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Well, there sure are some nice setups in here....
here it goes...

36" Sony TV
Sony 6.1 receiver
Sony DVD (digital out of course)
Sony VHS
Sony DTV x 2(digital also)
Sony CD (You know)
Polk Audio Tower speakers that ROCK
Polk audio center chanel
Polk 10" self powered sub
MTX in Ceiling surround sound( x 3)
one remote ONLY, thank God
Large room, 20 X 25 with 12 foot ceilings
on a regular ol' couch. Wanted recliners but nnnooooo!
Wet bar also, but about 20 feet away(does that count?)
No Popcorn machine
uummm thats all folks!

BruteForce
02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
updated 9/26/04 for new stuff
Living room:
Mitsubishi 65869 65" HD RPTV (calibrated by Eliab)
Sony SAT-HD300
iScan HD External Scaler
Outlaw 950 7.1 pre/pro
Outlaw 770 7 channel amp
Denon DVD-3800
sub: SVS PB2+
front: Aperion 522D-PT (x2)
center:Aperion 522D-VAC
surround(L,R,LB,RB): Aperion 522D-LR (x4)
MonsterPower HTS3500
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume Pro (back lighting)
MX-700 Remote Control

Bedroom:
Sony 32" WEGA
Outlaw 1050 6.1 Receiver (using pre/pro only)
Outlaw 750 5 channel amp
Toshiba SD-9200 DVD
Hughes E86 HD DTV
sub: Aperion SW-12
front/surround: Aperion 502D-LR(x4)
center: Aperion 502D-C
sub: Aperion SW-12
MX-500 Remote Control

ADE 1000
02-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, here is my setup:

Harman Kardon AVR 520 Reciever

Harman Kardon DVD 50 5 disc progressive scan DVD player

Toshiba 42" Cinema Series TV

Infinity IL series towers and center channel

Infinity IL 500 Watt powered subwoofer

Infinity Modulus rear speakers

Monster cable throughout.

Enough punch to knock pictures off the wall two floors up. :pimp:

GarageMahal
04-01-2004, 08:45 PM

Here is an abbreviated list of my current setup:
-Zenith 900 HD CRT Front Projector projecting to a 80" diagonal picture
-Faroudja line doubler
-Sony 32" 4:3 HDTV (sits behind the screen for regular TV viewing)
-Onkyo TX-DS989 receiver
-Pioneer LD/DVD player
-Panasonic 5 disc DVD player
-2x Pioneer 100 CD changer with controller
-Dish Network model 6000 HD receiver

I will be getting the Dish HD PVR as soon as I can find one.

I absolutely love HDTV on the projector. Hockey is exceptionally beautiful in HD.

Anyway, home theater is another of my expensive passions. If only I had enough time and money... ;)

jta
So.... The a rear channel has gone out on my Onkyo and convieniently I am running into a chunk of money in the next few weeks. I am planning to replace the receiver but this leaves me with a tough decision.

Option one:
Get a midrange receiver (Looking at Onkyo 901), new rear speakers, AND a Trillogy SC

Option two:
Blow the whole wad on upgrading the theater. I am looking at an Integra receiver ($5000+) that I really like. Add to that a new screen and speakers all around.

Decisions, decisions...

jta

P.S. Shooter, the model number on the Faroudja is LD 200 and depending on my decision, I may end up selling it as it will no longer be needed.

woaface
04-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Integra is to Onkyo what Mercury is to Ford.

I'd go for car and stereo upgrades. The 901 Onkyo is cool. I have the 600, which if it were the 601, would have DTS 96kbs stuff, and a set of powered speakers for the rears. I dropped $430 on mine, originally $500 or so.

You can always do a little here and there down the road, but if you spend it all at once in one place...then there's no delayed gratification to enjoy:up:

For your rear speakers I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Definitive technologies. I've heard a number of them, and they get great reviews! Powered subs come many of their surrounds too! I have their ProSub200TL...it kicks ass!

Here's their site address.

www.definitivetech.com (http://www.definitivetech.com/) :)

Bluerauder
04-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Agent M79-

troopcar
Agreed. :lol:

woaface
04-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Mark McQuaide!

I'm jealous!:D

Constable
04-01-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm a beginner in home theater, but here's what I've acquired so far (started 11 months ago):

- 50" Toshiba "TheaterWide" widescreen projection HDTV
- Toshiba DVD player
- Toshiba VCR
- Pioneer reciever, stock Pioneer satellite speakers / center channel
- Pioneer sub
- XBOX!!!! 2 of them, actually... the 2nd is in the next room on a 36" Sony... they're both hooked together via wireless "G" adapters and hooked into my home network.
- all hooked together with Monster Cable and Monster Power components

Oh yea, did I mention this is all in my 12 x 15 bedroom?? I made it to be my own personal movie theater... it's great to be young, have money, and still live with your parents...

hitchhiker
04-01-2004, 09:50 PM
I love it. If anyone has any comments or interests or even just want to list what they're runnin to blow the neighbors from their beds a block down...yack away.

I started mine when I was 10 or 11. I'm pretty much done.

Samsung 32inch flat screen HD ready TV
Sony 5 disc player running digitally to the...
Onkyo TSX600 receiver (Projects the thumping and boooming and screaming to the...)
Definitive Technologies Prosub 200TL (12inch500wattpeakamp)and the...
DCM 10 front speakers (and the...)
DCM6c Center Channel (and the...)
Jensen Bookshelfs
Panasonic VHS player
PlayStation2 for DVD (Eh...)
Monster Cables
XM Satellite Radio! (Whoa, this hurr thang is comin frum space!?)
Definitive Technologies Prosub 200TL (THUMP THUMP BOOM)
A big enough couch for two people to be quite comfortable:D

www.dcmspeakers.com (http://www.dcmspeakers.com/) www.definitivetech.com (http://www.definitivetech.com/) www.onkyousa.com (http://www.onkyousa.com/) www.xmradio.com (http://www.xmradio.com/)

-James

Is this so you can watch yourself Tap Dancing?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Long Live #3
04-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Magnavox surround sound with multiple settings; Dolby Pro-Logic, Dolby Pro-Logic-3CH, Hall, Stadium, Theater, and Simulated. I also have the PS2, which is a CD player, DVD player, and a game console, all in one. 5 speaker system, 2 on the floor, two on the top shelf, one in the middle. Perfect for a sunday race, and NASCAR Thunder 2004. Oh yea, don't forget the old school RCA COLORTRACK 2000.

woaface
04-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Sure hitchhiker, why not:shot:

Long Live #3
04-01-2004, 10:45 PM
What do you mean by that?

stevengerard
04-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Option one:
Get a midrange receiver (Looking at Onkyo 901), new rear speakers, AND a Trillogy SC

Option two:
Blow the whole wad on upgrading the theater. I am looking at an Integra receiver ($5000+) that I really like. Add to that a new screen and speakers all around.
Option 1, I had a pretty nice home theater in my last house, have been waiting 6 years to put one in this house. I think it should be based on what your priorities are and what extra time you have. I'm in my car more than I could sit in front of the TV, yet I still plan on doing it one day. I have great speakers but that's it at this time, share the love (money) with all your hobbies. I also feel that there is a limiting return on your investment in high end audio as most of our houses do not provide ideal conditions for high end audio. And what most people consider Hi-FI I consider mid-fi.

MYSTA KANG
04-02-2004, 09:47 AM
It took me 4 years to put this togetherand i upgrade my reciever every year.
TOSHIBA 65 INCHES OF THEATRE VIEW WITH THE 24 IN PICTURE PAUSE-FRAME
AIWA DV75-5.1 TO 6.1 DIGITAL SOUND, DTS, BBS BASS, NEW AMP AMP OVER 1500 WATTS, 12 INCH INCLOSED SUB I SWITCH IT FROM THE AIWA FACTORY TO A JBL COMPETION" IT ROCKS THE DOORS IN THE DEN"
PHILLIPS DVD-RECORD CHANGED THE CHIP SO I CAN PLAY CATAGORY1 & 2 DVD'S
TWO TOWER OPTIMUS SPEAKERS "2 6 INCH SUBS IN EACH TOWER AND THE TOP HAD THE OPTIC TWEETERS

XBOX
PS2
GAMECUBE
AND SNES FOR THE FELLAS WHO LOVE TO FISH GET THIS GAME "SUPER BLACK BASS FISHING YOU WILL BE HOOKED I PROMISE.

HERE ARE SOME PICS

GO LOOK IN MY USER NAME PICS

Bluerauder
04-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Anyone have a home theater-James

Living Room:
32" Sharp TV
Bose Lifestyle 28
Panasonic Omnivision VCR
Digital Cable

Family Room:
51" Toshiba Widescreen HDTV
5 Disc Sony DVD
Kenwood Receiver VR6070
Bose Acoustimass 15
XM Radio
TiVo
Sony 300 Disc CD Changer
Monster 2100 Clean Power
Sanyo VCR
Digital Cable

djcwardog
05-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Agent M79-

troopcar

Agreed! I am laughing my ass off right now!

MENINBLK
05-21-2004, 08:05 AM
I love the Rotel stuff...just don't have the $$$. Hey I take it that stuff is worth it?

My Uncle had ROTEL equipment for years...
He had a Rotel AM/FM Receiver when speakers were the size of refrigerators.
The audio quality back then wasn't the greatest, but the amount of power and stability the Rotel had was unquestionable.

If you can afford it, Rotel is one of the top choices for audio...

MYSTA KANG
06-06-2004, 03:20 PM
The time for the real Home Theatre has came for me. Yes I have a nice one now but after going to the Home Theatre store and spending 4 hours in that joint and looking at what technology has improved on since last year its time for me to spend some cash again.

Me and my wonderful wife are in the process of getting a new home built. And one of the best features will be a closed theatre room. I plan on getting the 140 inch Stewart wall screen and the Sharp Vison DCL projector for it. The guy tried to sell me some speakers that were too high and they just didnt have that right boom to them. Well being the guy I am I went over the Best Buy and they had a set up of KLIPSCH Home Theatre Speakes and the Star Wars DVD was playing. The sound was unreal and the price was too. $900 for a 15 inch sub and 2 tower speakers and 4 surrounds with one center. I would advise any of you that are looking to upgrade or just in the market to start a home theatre up to go to those stores and see whats real and what is not.

Man if it wasnt for the home being built i would be sitting nice in a black 04 MM. But after throwing away alot of money on leasing, we needed to invest on something that will build equity up over years to come. The benefits of being young is I can make mistakes and regroup!

woaface
06-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey, don't buy speakers too quick, especially bestbuy or circuit city stuff. Because you'll read in Home Theater of a similar priced item for just as much or so. Check out Home Theater Magazine and look at places for off brands (like Definitive Technologies, their speaker set in that price range is a small unit, but I've heard them and they sound much larger, and are easy to hide.

Anyways, that's the mistake I made when I bought my towers, and the mistake I refused to make when buying my sub, and that really paid off!

www.definitivetech.com (http://www.definitivetech.com)

www.hometheatermag.com (http://www.hometheatermag.com)

FiveO
06-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Yes...I'm addicted to Home Theatre:

I have a 50" Toshiba 16x9 TV in the main room.
12" Miller Kriesel powered sub
Polk Audio all around

All Sony components, DVD, LD, amp, etc.

I just upgraded from a 32" TV in the bedroom to a 2nd 50" Toshiba 16x9.

Then theres the DVD collection: Just under 500 right now...and thats counting box sets as 1.

Pics attached:

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/2969142/55009397.jpg

The main room front.

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/2969142/55009387.jpg

The main room back.

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/2969142/55009383.jpg

The movies...I also have 100 vhs and 75 laserdiscs in a nearby closet.

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/2969142/55009411.jpg

The new TV in my bedroom.

Reaper948
06-06-2004, 09:34 PM
50 inch sony plasma
sound system and everything that came with it too

MYSTA KANG
06-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey Woaface thanks for the tip. I didnt know about these 2 sites at all. I am going to read and compare everything.

Hey Five O that is sweet, I almost have the similar setup. i have pics of mine in the gallery, only thing is my digital cam is too dark and the pics come out ugly.

sailsmen
06-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Paradigm makes some excelent small, inexpensive speakers. The Titans are a fantastic buy.

woaface
06-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Paradigm is from the far and exotic land called Canada.

Hey, in those pictures there's a "Dolby Digital Installed In This Home Theater" plaque. I have that same one on the wall of the stairs leading up to my HT room.

I'll post pictures later.

woaface
06-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Ok, here is my beautiful room. All of the things here except for the 15GB Dell DJ MP3 player (I BUY my music now) are listed on the very first page of this thread at the very top:up:
The placement of the sub in the left corner, with the woofer facing towards the wall, but off-set was my idea. The bass pressureizes (sic?) the air there, and reflects it up and to either side and towards the couch. It is off-set so the frequencies don't fight with each other but are instead sent on their merry way. It sounds better here than anywhere else.

MY Marauder poster isn't up yet because I don't have a frame:nono:

woaface
06-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Last one....The shells scattered about were a christmas present from my little sister...cute huh?:cool:

Marauder
06-10-2004, 06:09 AM
I have this in my apartment:

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42PA20U
Harman Kardon Speakers HKS-5
Samsung Progressive Scan DVD Player DVD-P341
JVC Surround Receiver (Older one but does the job :D )

At least the sound system is expandable to 7.1 by purchasing 2 more satellites from HK but my place isn't big enough for that and it would be a waste.

woaface
06-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Just had it framed and since it's in the home theater room...

http://jamesgspics.homestead.com/DSC03422.jpg

http://jamesgspics.homestead.com/DSC03423.jpg

Marauder
06-16-2004, 12:55 PM
I should do that to my poster....but I have mine on the wall next to my desk at work and most people usually ask me about it.

studio460
06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Samsung 61" DLP

I don't have one yet, but my newest, most-wanted consumer electronics product is Samsung's latest DLP projection TV, the "HLN617W
61" Wide Screen HDTV Monitor TV with DLP™ Technology." At a retail price of $4,499 (not including an HDTV off-air tuner), I think it's a great deal. Although it's not thin like a plasma or LCD display, it's thinner than a CRT (19.4" deep). If anyone's still yet to make their large screen home theater decision, this is the one I would most recommend. DLP-based (digital light-processing) projection monitors arguably produce the best pictures of today's available technologies (the only thing better would be a front-projection DLP). Originally developed by Texas Instruments, DLP's core technology is "powered by a single, postage stamp-sized Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) that generates high definition video images." See it for yourself at any Circuit City.

Learn more at Samsung's site:
http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=HLN617W1X%2fXAA

MYSTA KANG
06-17-2004, 06:30 AM
NBC, Man I seen the same TV at Best Buy and all the Samsung TVs were on sale and this one was listed at $2500.00 clearance. I agree on the quaility, it is great and the colors are very vivid also. Next time you get a chance go to the Home Theatre store or any one of the high tech stores and ask to see a Loewe TV. That TV had built in 3-D and it makes objects jump out at you. But the price is around $9,000.

studio460
06-17-2004, 07:38 PM
NBC, Man I seen the same TV at Best Buy and all the Samsung TVs were on sale and this one was listed at $2500.00 clearance.
The Samsung 61" DLP was only $2,500??? That's a STEAL!!! I haven't seen it for a penny less than $4,499 ANYWHERE.

RoyLPita
06-18-2004, 06:30 AM
I've had a home theater for over a decade now.
My collaboration:
living room:
Panasonic 27" TV w/dual tuner PIP
Toshiba DVD player (with mood swings)
Sony VHS VCR (recent belt change and head cleaning)
Onkyo 5.1 Receiver (used)
JBL 10" tower left and rights (woofers need to be redone)
JBL center channel (used)
KLH 10" powered subwoofer (used)
Advent rear surround speakers (just redone)

In the bedroom:
Toshiba 13" TV (grad gift- 15 years old and still going)
Toshiba and Sony VCRS (belts changed and heads cleaned)
Sony Dolby Surround receiver
Sony 5 disc CD player
JVC dual deck tape recorder (another grad gift that runs fine)
Sanyo turntable ('80's?)
Realistic graphic equalizer ('80's)
JBL medium speakers (front)
Technics small surround speakers (rear)
Infinity bookshelf speakers (recently redone) (center)
Old Kenwood speakers with different 8" woofers (extras)

TheMoor
01-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes, I have an THX sound system in the living room and my bed room, sounds better than the movies, must upgrade thou to 7.1

Raudermaster
01-04-2007, 08:41 AM
My father has a 52" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV with Direct TV HD in his sports bar downstairs with the Bose Acoustimass 16 series 2 surround system. Let me tell you does that crank!

MM03MOK
01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
My father has a 52" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV with Direct TV HD in his sports bar downstairs with the Bose Acoustimass 16 series 2 surround system. Let me tell you does that crank!
So, Superbowl party at your Dad's? :D I'll bring the beer cheese dip!

Good timing to resurect this thread since we're finally in the market for an HD set. I guess by waiting for over 2 years, we can now afford a flat panel, which will be easier to fit in the den. We've just started doing our research so any flat panel input would be appreciated. We're looking in the 36" to 42" range.

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 10:03 AM
DLP is the best technology to buy right now.
For the price of most flat panels, you can mount a DLP projector on your ceiling
and have it shine on either the wall or a retractable screen.
You get to choose what size veiwing area you want !!!
You can even dress up the area too.

If you MUST got flat panel, choose the best Plasma TV within your budget,
if you are interested in watching a lot of SPORTS programs or animated movies.
LCD technology has NOT matured to the point where it can handle a lot of frame movement.
If you want to see what I mean, go to any TV store amd watch a football game on an LCD TV.
When the screen pans left or right it goes completely out of focus.
When it returns to rest, it will re-focus.
Watch that for about 30 sceonds and it will drive your eyes crazy.
That is not what you are paying $$$ for...

LCD is very good for CLARITY. Photos, documentaries, etc will shine out on an LCD TV.

chader
01-04-2007, 10:22 AM
So...i Just Got A Hd Cable Reciever,got A 52"flat Toshiba Hd Bla Bla,and Run All Audio Through An A/v Reciever...anytime You Go From An Hd Channel Back To An Analog Chanell It Looses The Audio Signal...if You Reset The Amp(hit Auto) Alll Is Fine Till You Do It Again.....this Will Happen With Any Digital Audio Input(optical,or Coax)if You Change The Input To An Anolog Input Everything Works Fine,just Does Not Sound As Good......any Ideas???

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
So...i Just Got A Hd Cable Reciever,got A 52"flat Toshiba Hd Bla Bla,and Run All Audio Through An A/v Reciever...anytime You Go From An Hd Channel Back To An Analog Chanell It Looses The Audio Signal...if You Reset The Amp(hit Auto) Alll Is Fine Till You Do It Again.....this Will Happen With Any Digital Audio Input(optical,or Coax)if You Change The Input To An Anolog Input Everything Works Fine,just Does Not Sound As Good......any Ideas???

There has to be a way to set AUTO to work correctly.
Check your Receiver Manual.
What receiver are you using ?

There is not too much you can do about the sound quality.
Digital Audio has a higher resolution than Analog Audio and it 'sounds' better.

duhtroll
01-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Projectors are nice, but they suck in a bright room. TVs work well anywhere. I still have my 52" good old fashioned rear projection HDTV in 1080i and it's still as good or better than anything else I have seen.

I will upgrade to a flat screen when they get their issues worked out -- about the same time people figure out that Blue Ray sucks and HDDVD is MUCH better and will own the future.

I'm thinking in about a year or so they'll have this part figured out.

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Projectors are nice, but they suck in a bright room. TVs work well anywhere.

I don't know what projectors you've seen but todays' projectors rock.

You can use them OUTSIDE and they are about the size of 2 notebooks stacked.

mtenderenda
01-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Well I setup a 80" screen with a Infocus Projector that is mounted up on the ceiling...I have a 5 point sound system 400 Watts.....I had to upgrade the equalizer to accept the Opitcal sound from the High Def iO system.....I have my own theather...I'm accepting tickets....Popcorn is offered...And I set this up myself...Had a guy come in, said that it would cost 9,000 to put in...I laughed in his face....:pimp:

mtenderenda
01-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh forgot..I'm using Monster wire...IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE...Using it for both sound and video....

Raudermaster
01-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds good Mary! lol. Yes, he did some research and DLP seems to have the uphand over plasma and HD's and LCD's. It really does give an unbelievable picture, it's like you're right there.

duhtroll
01-04-2007, 04:29 PM
At my workplace we get brand new projectors every year - some high end ones, too. We have to have about 15-20 in use for classes/presentations and we rotate the purchases a few each year. We just installed a decent one for the auditorium along with a sound system for classes held there.

Got to use a brand new one the day before Christmas. nice, big picture, but the screen was not as bright as a HDTV/1080i, and not as clear. In order to overcome ambient light you need a LOT of lumens, and that gets expensive. Not just for the projector, but for the bulbs that burn out after about a thousand hours or so. Then it's $100-$450 each for bulbs.

They also generate heat and the fans are noisy, but that's not so bad by comparison to what you get.

For watching a movie with a screen size as big as your house, go for it. Once in a while a projector is a great idea for a gathering. For daily use in normal settings, not the best.

Just my opinion.

I don't know what projectors you've seen but todays' projectors rock.

You can use them OUTSIDE and they are about the size of 2 notebooks stacked.

cyclopsram
01-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Well, my 32 inch crt at $299 is still the best deal....mo moolah for mods on the Panthers. RAM

Marauderman
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I have one for sale--still in the box--will sell and post pics this weekend--Amazing--

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
For watching a movie with a screen size as big as your house, go for it. Once in a while a projector is a great idea for a gathering. For daily use in normal settings, not the best.
Just my opinion.

Thanks for you opinion Troll.
It's what makes this place a *fun* place... :coolman:

I only offered the suggestion because a DLP projector
basically gives the same clarity as a DLP rear view projector TV.
The only difference is one is enclosed in a box.
If you can afford the room for the big box, which Mary isn't looking for,
than the TV is the better option.

But if the space in the room is all you got
and that space is at a premium, then
mount whatever you can in the ceiling !!!

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Had a guy come in, said that it would cost $9,000 to put in...I laughed in his face....:pimp:

Would you believe it ?

Kudos to you for doing it yourself.
At least when something goes wrong,
you know how everything is wired
and you know where everything is located.

If they did the job, they would also have to come back
to fix it when it won't work.
And they don't do that for FREE either !!!

glassman99
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Electronics:
Mark Levinson Model 40 Digital Surround Processor
Mark Levinson No. 30.5 and 31 Transport and DAC
Mark Levinson Model 51 DVD
5 Audio Research 610T amplifiers

Speakers:
2 Von Schweikert VR-11 (front channels)
1 Von Schweikert VR-9 (center channel)
2 Von Schweikert VR-10 MKII (rear channels)

Video:
Sony VPH-690u Ultra HD projector (10' screen)

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Electronics:
Mark Levinson Model 40 Digital Surround Processor
Mark Levinson No. 30.5 and 31 Transport and DAC
Mark Levinson Model 51 DVD
5 Audio Research 610T amplifiers

Speakers:
2 Von Schweikert VR-11 (front channels)
1 Von Schweikert VR-9 (center channel)
2 Von Schweikert VR-10 MKII (rear channels)

Video:
Sony VPH-690u Ultra HD projector (10' screen)

No SIDE channels ???

glassman99
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Good catch. and no subwoofer as the main speakers go down to <15hz FLAT.

MENINBLK
01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Good catch. and no subwoofer as the main speakers go down to <15hz FLAT.

Audio Research 610T amplifiers

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: (-3dB points at 1 watt) 1Hz to 200 kHz. :drool:

DAMN !!

GreekGod
01-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I have never been married, so i have a home theater in my forward (concrete floor) bear-cave room, 12' x 24'. I don't go for fancy-smancy cables or high-end components. I use 9 Cerwin-Vega speaker cabinets, driven by a nice high powered Yamaha 7.1 receiver. I highly recommend buying dual subwoofers. if you ever listen through headphones, you will realize just how much low base you lose when listening through most home speakers. My front channel (#111 each, 51" tall) R & L C-V's have dual 15"woofers:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/CLSC-215111.jpg
I also have two C-V (15") subwoofers in one corner, so when I play the Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii, or Pulse DVD's, I don't need to turn up the volume very much. Six 15" "low" frequency drivers will get the job done, especially with the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan.

ckadiddle
01-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I don't have as fancy a setup as some of you, but enough to get by for now. Speakers are all Infinity except the sub, I think its a 100 watt JVC. Receiver pushes about a hundred watts per channel. Front channel are tall skinny Infinitys, rears are bookshelf size. room is large, probably 12 ir 15 by 25 or 30 feet. I have to keep the sub kinda low or it shakes the roof and crud falls through the vent fan in the kitchen onto the stove. :) The setup is great for movies and video games, less than I would like for really cranking up music. TV is a humongous 65 inch Samsung rear projection TV. I will never understand how people can stand to play video games on a computer screen. :) This equipment gradually phased in to replace a 20 year old stereo hooked up to a ten year old 52 inch TV. Didn't realize how bad the old TV was getting until we went to the store to look at new ones. Oh yeah, I have Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2 in there also, PS2 and Xbox are component video and 5.1 digital connected. :)

RoyLPita
01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I've had a home theater for over a decade now.
My collaboration:
living room:
Panasonic 27" TV w/dual tuner PIP
Toshiba DVD player (with mood swings)
Sony VHS VCR (recent belt change and head cleaning)
Onkyo 5.1 Receiver (used)
JBL 10" tower left and rights (woofers need to be redone)
JBL center channel (used)
KLH 10" powered subwoofer (used)
Advent rear surround speakers (just redone)

In the bedroom:
Toshiba 13" TV (grad gift- 15 years old and still going)
Toshiba and Sony VCRS (belts changed and heads cleaned)
Sony Dolby Surround receiver
Sony 5 disc CD player
JVC dual deck tape recorder (another grad gift that runs fine)
Sanyo turntable ('80's?)
Realistic graphic equalizer ('80's)
JBL medium speakers (front)
Technics small surround speakers (rear)
Infinity bookshelf speakers (recently redone) (center)
Old Kenwood speakers with different 8" woofers (extras)

The 13" tv finally died and I got a 27" Toshiba now. I also replace the Moody Sony and Toshiba VCRs with a Sony Combo DVD & VCR plus a mono RCA VCR.

The Toshiba VCR and a Mitsubishi VCR that I came across just need belts. I'll fix those another time.

DeadVic
01-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Let's see, here are the three rooms we have. We just moved into our new home July 1. If you know the PHX real estate market then you know it's still in the middle of a little crash/correction. We hit it just right. This house listed for $995K (they were dreaming) and the people who had it built dropped out. So, we have some stuff in the house we don't like or would have done differently but when you can pick a house like this up for 35% off sticker you do it. This was in our price range when we house hunted in late May and everything else we looked at sucked big time. This house, in general, is great but below you'll see some of the things we're working on changing.

1. main theathre room = 55" Rear projection Mitsu from 2000 model year. HD ready with ONkyo 600 series receiver with 6.1 surround. In ceiling SpeakerCraft Aim 8 Ones (aimable Speakers - came with house and are not good - sound like they are under water) I have 7.2 system but haven't updated the receiver so my two rears are both hooked to the rear channel. Two Polk 500 watt 12" subs. Have DirectV HR 10-250 receiver, Xbox 360 networked with to laptop with Media Center and 2 Terra's of server memory. This room will be converted to a 100+" screen with four sets of theather sets with stadium risers on the rear row. I'm waiting for two things, the new projectors to come out at CES this week (so I can get a 2006 model for clearance price) and and my annual bonus to finish the room.

2. Kitchen area family room has a new 52" Mitsu DLP rear projection with Directv HDTV receive (no DVR). This is in our built in cabinet and has a one inch gap all around the TV. It's slick. The room is prewired for 6.1 I'll be taking the 7.1 speakers and moving them to this room and tossing the extra speaker. Upstairs will get Infinities in ceiling. Will move the 6.1 Onkyo down here and the theathre will get new 7.1 power house receiver.

3. We just cleaned out the sit room off the master bedroom and I'm in the process of making this my own personal space. It's a good 18' x 16'. I'm building dad's retreat there.

I need two more 360s to network with the servers/computer for the other two big TVs.

It's always evolving, but like everything else this takes time/money. Right now the structured cable box looks like it has a cancer and it continues to grow.

Once all this is done over the next couple years it will be time to begin wiring the kitchen. those new refrigerators that can keep inventory and then interface with your grocery list online are slick. We're just starting to do our grocery shopping online and having it delivered. it has a way to go, but give it five years and we'll all be doing it automagically.

sailsmen
01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
They just finished installing the system in our new house. The ceiling speakers are a lot better sound then what we had installed 8 years ago.

The installers said they have never installed so many components. Some of it is inexpensive for background music.

This system is primarily audiophile first w/ surround as a secondary function. Having the house wired is the way to go.

We had our previous house built and had the wiring and system location planned in.This house was mostly built when we bought it. I now have 6 credit card size holes to fill in the walls above/below the fire stops.

I learned not to put speakers in the kitchen, wife turns it off and the patio, never used it.

It sounds good but I need to tune it. I hope I can get it to sound as good as the old house, that was true audiophile.:D

Den
Home Theater;
Proscan 32"
Left/Right B&W PS-4
B&W Center CC6S2
Paradigm PS8" Powered Sub
Rotel 5 Channel Amp RB-985
Sherwood New Castle Preamp AVP9080R
AMC CDM-7 Digital Analog via Tubes w/ Custom Transformer
Insignia DVD VCR
Sony CDPCX-260 200 Carousel CD for sorting/storage
Technics DDSL-6 Linear Turn Table with AT 485RU Cartridge