PDA

View Full Version : TomTom XL 340TM

MM2004
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I know,... 'bout time!

Just got my GPS Nav. unit from Amazon and updated the software and maps + traffic today.

This is a damn cool portable GPS unit.

Honestly had no idea how far technology has advanced on these type units.

Also, for an additional $10.00, picked up the windshield mount while I was at it.

So far so good, and will be running this thing around the block for a while, then in May, the real test while traveling to Outer Banks, NC.

:D

I actually listened to MERCMAN (first time - :D) as he has the same model and is very pleased with it.

Total for both shipped to my door via UPS - $145.00 (new)

This particular model has the lifetime maps and traffic updates included.

;)

Mike.

SC Cheesehead
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I know,... 'bout time!

Just got my GPS Nav. unit from Amazon and updated the software and maps + traffic today.

This is a damn cool portable GPS unit.

Honestly had no idea how far technology has advanced on these type units.

Also, for an additional $10.00, picked up the windshield mount while I was at it.

So far so good, and will be running this thing around the block for a while, then in May, the real test while traveling to Outer Banks, NC.

:D

I actually listened to MERCMAN (first time - :D) as he has the same model and is very pleased with it.

Total for both shipped to my door via UPS - $145.00 (new)

This particular model has the lifetime maps and traffic updates included.

;)

Mike.

Yeah, but just wait til the first time you take a wrong turn and you get nailed with a sarcastic "recalculating..." I've got a love/hate relationship with mine.

BTW, what are you going to name yours? (Mine's 'Sheila')

MM2004
04-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but just wait til the first time you take a wrong turn and you get nailed with a sarcastic "recalculating..." I've got a love/hate relationship with mine.

BTW, what are you going to name yours? (Mine's 'Sheila')

Too new to name the damn thing as I am still navigating thru the menus.

:confused:

I did change the car icon to a 2007 Shelby as no MM's were available - LOL!

When this unit 'recalculates', it doesn't make a sound until it's finished.

What amazes me Rex is it knows the posted speed limits. (turns red when 6+ miles over) Don't ask.

Calculated speed vs. speedo appears dead-on as well.

Very, very cool thus far...

:banana2:

Mike.

SC Cheesehead
04-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Too new to name the damn thing as I am still navigating thru the menus.

:confused:

I did change the car icon to a 2007 Shelby as no MM's were available - LOL!

When this unit 'recalculates', it doesn't make a sound until it's finished.

What amazes me Rex is it knows the posted speed limits. (turns red when 6+ miles over) Don't ask.

Calculated speed vs. speedo appears dead-on as well.

Very, very cool thus far...

:banana2:

Mike.

I've got a Garmin Nuvi. I hear about it as soon as I do something wrong, almost as bad as momma ... :rolleyes: ----> ;) -----> :D

DOOM
04-22-2011, 01:49 PM
FAIL!!!!!!!

:razz:

Bluerauder
04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I've got a Garmin Nuvi.

Yep, I have a Garmin nuvi 1300T and am quite happy with it overall. Was originally about $249 ... It is probably under $200 now. Got it for my birthday before MV7 in Indianapolis. It sure helps in navigating to the various events. I call it "GPS Jill" because of the voice.

The T designation means that I get Live Feed on traffic situations ahead with options to reroute. This may work in Iowa ... but in Northern Virginia, if I-495 or I-95 is screwed .... so is EVERY possible alternate routes.

HammerDown
04-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Okay, so I am not they only one who gave our GPS a name--Maggie--we have a Magellan.

Yes, she gets annoying with the recalculating, but for the most part, is a good helper on the road. Ours is about 3 years old now. Bought it on QVC for about $120--seemed like good deal at the time........

Bluerauder
04-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Okay, so I am not they only one who gave our GPS a name--Maggie--we have a Magellan.

Here's some other GPS names >>>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66322&highlight=Jill