PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate member meet, Caribbean?

CRUZTAKER
01-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Many of you know how my screen name came about. I chose it many years back after my new found addiction to Caribbean cruises. I was basically forced on the first trip by the inlaws, whom have sailed more than 25 times. I thought it was the biggest waste of time and money....until I did it. Now after a dozen cruises later (and alot of scuba diving), I have come to really enjoy these getaways. We cruise every year, and back in the telecom boom, we went twice a year. I have seen and dove nearly every island from San Juan to Caracas, to Riveria Maya and around to Jamaica.

I know there are alot of folks out there who enjoy this type of travel, and many others who want to try it. I can assure you all that it is much more affordable than one might think, and easily arranged.

We ussually go in October/November, and 2004 looks like we will try for my favorite itinerary that hasn't been done in several years. Deep caribbean out of San Juan, to Aruba, Grenada, Barbados, Antigua, and St. Thomas.

We have gone with large groups of family and friends several times, and what a blast it has become.

To conclude: Would this be the ultimate member meet or what?

THIS IS JUST A FUN THEORETICAL POLL - NOT THAT IT WOULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN

....unless....

SHERIFF
01-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Sounds interesting. Keep us posted as the plans mature!

jgc61sr2002
01-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Barry - I was wondering about your screen name. I was way off, I thought it had to do with cruizing in your Marauder.:D :coolman:

Bigdogjim
01-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Barry this is not that hard to pull off.........

I have a Travel Agent that can "set it up"

Might be a way to "just get away"

Cool:)

Haggis
01-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Barry, one problem my Marauder does not swim :confused: and there is not enough room on board the ship for a 1/4 mile strip.

CRUZTAKER
01-01-2004, 04:21 PM
The ship, at over 1000 feet long, and nearly 260 feet wide, with 12 floors, could easily accomodate a marauder or two...but I'm thinking the wallet won't :P

As far as planing, this is too easy. I would suggest everyone use their own travel agent that they are comfortable with. I have had the same one for over twenty years, and she knows us all too well.

I will look into the details later this week, but this cruise averages 12 to 14 hondred per person and includes the air to San Juan, and of course, all the 24/7 food and room service one could possibly consume. Air to San Juan fluctuates as cheap as $275 r/t to well over $500 occationally. The air part is the killer. The cruise can be as cheap $599 p/p for an inside stateroom to $900-1100 for a balcony. Over the years I have learned that the balcony is the only way to go, and the only way we go. There is an unlimited amount of food, and no limit to ones consumption. Alchohol is not included, therefore we hit the duty free in port. Booze is 70% cheaper in port, and on the islands than it is in the states. For you smokers, cigs are always around $9 to $12 a carton for US brands.

These trips are most awesome, and over the years I have learned many tricks of the trade, and am very familiar with the islands, how to get around, and what to do and see.

How fun to have the 'new' family aboard!

RCSignals
01-01-2004, 04:51 PM
When Marty buys his new boat.....

martyo
01-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
When Marty buys his new boat.....

This makes it all the more tempting....

Duncan, can you throw a few million my way to help out with the purchase price?

Oh, and I do plan on going to the Boat Show tomorrow!!!

MAD-3R
01-02-2004, 10:08 AM
For me and mine, it's not the boat, it's the flight. IF I caould DRIVE there, I would.

O's Fan Rich
01-02-2004, 11:54 AM
As long as BigDog keeps the thong at home!!!

Actually, i'm not big on the cruise thing did a Disney for our 20th.

CRUZTAKER
01-02-2004, 01:55 PM
We took Gage on a Disney cruise this past September, and I will say that all though it was geared for kids, we had a great time. Their ships are top knotch, new. Their staff are excellent, (3:1 ratio to passengers), but the itineraries, are all slim. Meeting and playing with all the characters is something my son, nor I will never forget.

I am an island hopper, don't care for days at sea. That's why the next run will be the deep carribean with 6 island stops.

SergntMac
01-03-2004, 06:31 PM
I did "the Big Red Boat" a few years ago, and it was "geared for kids."

I had the time of my life...

jgc61sr2002
01-03-2004, 06:36 PM
We went on a Cruise to Bermuda this past summer and had a great time.

yorks
01-09-2004, 06:00 PM
I agree with Cruztaker...It's the only way to vacation. We took our first one in December...4 nights: Nassau, Coco Cay and Key West. We're already booking a 7 night for May: Haiti, Jamaica, Caymans and Cozumel. It really is more affordable than people think. Check out www.vacationstogo.com.
I would love to go on a MM cruise.

CRUZTAKER
01-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Cool, very cool. Save your pennys folks, cause this one is definately gonna be arranged in March! Too bad York, going in May...gonna be hard to pay up twice in one year!

BTW: While in Jamaica, see Dunns river in Ocho Rios. Don't buy the crap every single person is going to inudate you with as soon as you hit the pier.....don't be afraid to let a taxi driver by the name of Buddy Love take you on a private trip into the hills....wink, wink :rasta:.....and by all means stay out of Kingston if your a shade lighter than say.....charcoal!

Never been to to Haiti, but know of it well, be really carefull going off on your own. As far as Grand Cayman, very expensive! Go swim with the sting rays, it's a riot, they are like swimming vacuum cleaners, so don't wear jewlry, and god forbid, hide your privates!!! The turtle farm is cool, and if you are a diver / snorkler, grab a bag of frozen snow peas at the supermarket just west of the cruise ship pier and feed the angel fish. They love peas!

Cozumel is the scuba divers top 5 sites. Go to the Hotel Presidente on the west end and dive with Scuba Du, they are a wonderfull bunch. Or, rent a vintage 2002 volkswagon and tour the island. Shopping here is really good, but venture far from the cruise shipp pier for the best prices.

Have fun...I'm jealous :P

yorks
01-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Thnx for the 411, Barry. As far as Haiti, it's a place called Labadee which Royal Caribbean owns, all private, very safe. I'd welcome any other advice if you've got time for a PM. Thanks again - Cruising Rules!!

MapleLeafMerc
01-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Cruz, your post got me thinking about our first and only one (so far).

As you say, a balcony is a must; I don't think I would have enjoyed it overall without a private place "outside". I enjoy meeting people and being around them, but eventually I need some privacy and less noise. I don't need or want to be in a crowd all the time. Besides, with a balcony, you have the scenery! We really enjoyed sitting there to watch as we entered and left ports, watched the lights from another island go by in the dark, saw flying fish leaping out of the wake below us. Or just sipping coffee on the balcony as we watched the port come to life in the morning.

One of our favourite (not a typo!) times was relaxing on the balcony after our daily afternoon excursion (extra-booked side trip). We'd crack a duty free, light up and just soak it all in. A memorable experience.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea...!

To those who haven't done this yet- bring compact binoculars.

Oh yea- I almost forgot, Cruz- where do you think the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is? (Bearing in mind that my swimming looks a bit like drowning ;))

CRUZTAKER
01-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by MapleLeafMerc
Cruz- where do you think the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is?

I don't snorkle much, as Jessica and I both carry advanced certifications and try to dive as much as possible. It's hard to rank locations, but if I had to according to ease of entry, and visual experience....

1)Bonaire 2)Cozumel 3) Little Cayman

As far as superior deep diving:

1)Cozumel 2)Roatan 3)St. Lucia=tie with Barbados

MapleLeafMerc
01-09-2004, 10:08 PM
:up: