PDA

View Full Version : Hail Damage

dac99011
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey All,

My black MM was subjected to hail while on a road trip. I have a few visible dings and several small white imperfections all over the hood, roof, etc. I believe these white lines in the paint are from the hail damage but of course my adjuster is disputing the claims.

Has anyone experienced hail damage to their vehicle that resulted in the paint cracking below the clear coat (look like small white lines)?

I know most of these small white lines did not exist prior to the hail storm.

Thanks.

LeoVampire
05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey All,

My black MM was subjected to hail while on a road trip. I have a few visible dings and several small white imperfections all over the hood, roof, etc. I believe these white lines in the paint are from the hail damage but of course my adjuster is disputing the claims.

Has anyone experienced hail damage to their vehicle that resulted in the paint cracking below the clear coat (look like small white lines)?

I know most of these small white lines did not exist prior to the hail storm.

Thanks.

Yes this happened to mine a couple of years back but it was while it was parked so no lines just looked cracked under some of the impacts but it turned out to just be clear coat damage not paint.

crouse
05-02-2011, 11:48 AM
How about some pics?

BODYMAN
05-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Hail wont create white spots in the paint is youres a early 03 build if so that is the contimination in the paint. I have been a body man almost 30yrs and never seen that on a hail job. we all tend to look at our cars closer after ax-or any other damage.

Peter
05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, the clear coat can get damaged and crystallize resulting in opaque spots or lines.

BODYMAN
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM
nope hail DOES NOT CAUSE THIS plain and simple

dac99011
05-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I've uploaded some pictures of the white marks. Could these possibly be clear coat damage? I recently waxed the Marauder and I know for a fact these small white marks were not on the vehicle. I wish I had taken a picture of the car before the hail damage.

Thanks for your comments. Let me know if anyone else has seen this after hail damage...

ImpalaSlayer
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
sure as hell looks like it coulda been caused by decent sized hail.

WI Fordguy
05-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Insurance doesn't want to repaint when paintless dent repair is cheaper. That paint looks like it was in pretty bad shape before the hail, that's another reason they don't want to repaint. See if they'll split a respray with you maybe

dac99011
05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
I've contacted another body repair shop and they have confirmed my entire car has been repainted. They stated the small white lines are imperfections from the paint job. Not sure how the white lines magically show up after a hail storm since they did not exist prior and have not been there for almost 2 years. Thanks for the comments...looks like I will be living with the paint job until I can afford a complete paint job which sounds like $5k.

BODYMAN
05-03-2011, 10:19 AM
From what I saw in the pics it is contamination under the base coat and clear coat. Sometimes it can take 2-4 yrs for these types of problems to show up (takes that long for solvents to escape). Use black wax it will help to hide the spots.

Speed
05-03-2011, 11:19 AM
is youres a early 03 build if so that is the contimination in the paint.

+1...If so thats excatly what is. I have a 03 and it looks just like that on the flat areas (roof, hood and trunk).

babbage
05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Use black wax it will help to hide the spots.

Turtle wax makes a black box kit - that will make it look a lot better.

dac99011
05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies...I will get some Black wax and try that! Thanks everyone!