PDA

View Full Version : Steer me in the right direction!

TAKEDOWN
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Hey Gang, I have a question about my 2004 CVPI. Recently while parking my daily driver at idle or at lower rpm's turning left was difficult (tight & heavy), I did a search on here and crownvic.net and came up with a few solutions. Installed a new rack & pinion, lower steering shaft, variable assist, and flushed power steering adding new fluid. At first everything seemed fine till after a day and now the tight and heavy steering revealed itself adding difficulty to both sides right and left. :censor: WTH & FML! I don't know what to do, please help... Thanks in advance guys!

TAKEDOWN
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
... Lol, help!

justbob
05-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Dude, you are like three feet tall, what do you expect??

Collapsed hose/ blockage? Did this happen before or after all the work?

TAKEDOWN
05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Prior to the work turning left was tight and heavy. Replaced the parts that looked bad and shortly thereafter steering on both sides at idle or lower rpm's became tight and heavy when parking the vehicle.

justbob
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I've never had to fart around with the variable assist, isn't that electrical? I recall someone here having issues before with blown fuses I thought?

LeoVampire
05-03-2011, 10:45 AM
There is a chance the variable assist is causing the problem or the diverter valve.

How does the power steering pump sound with and without a load on it does it sound like it is straining or working hard?

TAKEDOWN
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Variable assist is new, but what's the diverter valve?

LeoVampire
05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Variable assist is new, but what's the diverter valve?

There is a valve inside the rack that shifts left and right to divert fluid pressure one way or the other according to the way your turning.

It can become clogged with sludge and hang up over time when fluid is never flushed inside the power steering system.

But usually when this happens the pump makes noise this is why I asked if it sounds like if the pump is straining or not.

TAKEDOWN
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Just installed a new pump, car seems to be running good so far, but we'll see...

Hopefully the problem is solved but if it still acts out then what?

LeoVampire
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Just installed a new pump, car seems to be running good so far, but we'll see...

I hope your all set now but may I ask why you decided to change the pump?

guspech750
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Then buy another Marauder buddy!!
It's only common sense. :)

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!