PDA

View Full Version : Ratholing new P71's

Vortex
05-07-2011, 08:41 PM
I think we all read the Austin Texas Police Dept had approached their city council for a request for 179 brandy new P71's for $4.5 million last month. Just read the request was approved a couple of weeks ago. Makes sense to me; all associated equipment (radios, lights ect...) is there, spare parts ect... I wonder if any other PDs are doing the same thing?

scruff
05-07-2011, 08:42 PM
right on Texas

SC Cheesehead
05-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I think we all read the Austin Texas Police Dept had approached their city council for a request for 179 brandy new P71's for $4.5 million last month. Just read the request was approved a couple of weeks ago. Makes sense to me; all associated equipment (radios, lights ect...) is there, spare parts ect... I wonder if any other PDs are doing the same thing?

I think it's a smart move, too, wouldn't be too surprised if there were othre PDs considering also.

Mercguy04
05-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Like Vortex suggested it may be a good source for some HD spare parts.
I have been considering some HD axles, and I understand they make a good
drive shaft. Maybe an upgrade to brakes as well.
Good thinking Vortex. Thanks for the information.
Russell

Spectragod
05-08-2011, 06:49 AM

I wonder where they are going to get them? Order cutoff was March 1st. Those were the absolute last orders, otherwise, they will need to find them on a dealers lot.

ImpalaSlayer
05-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I wonder where they are going to get them? Order cutoff was March 1st. Those were the absolute last orders, otherwise, they will need to find them on a dealers lot.

for a order that big, who knows.

Spectragod
05-08-2011, 07:18 AM
for a order that big, who knows.

FMC doesn't care how many they order, the cutoff was the cutoff. They have a schedule to shut the plant down. At least this was the word at Police Fleet last summer.

I know of several departments that odered several dozen cars before the cutoff, just so they didn't have to buy new equipment, consoles, cages, computer mounts, slide out trays, while that doesn't sound like a lot, the average price to change out from that equipment to say, going to a Charger is $3300-$5000, X how many cars? It gets expensive.

-Matt-
05-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Thats funny... my P71 came from the APD... I found the officers card in the door pocket!

Mr. Man
05-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Thats funny... my P71 came from the APD... I found the officers card in the door pocket!
Sounds PC for speeding ticket:D

-Matt-
05-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Sounds PC for speeding ticket:D

Lol nah.... never been pulled over in the P71... most cops just wave, lol.

i found a stack of his business cards in the door pocket... he was a detective. (which explains the unmarked street package)