PDA

View Full Version : Back up camera

SID210SA
05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Need help with the back up camera.

I purchased and audiovox ACA200W back up camera to go with my stereo, a Pyle PLTS78DUB (7" Motorized touchscreen TFT/LCD Monitor w/ DCD/CD/MP3/USB/SD/AM/FM/RDS Player/Bluetooth) in my 2001 Suburban LS.

The problem I am having is not being able to connect it to where it will automatically switch to the camera when shifting into reverse.

This is what I have done: I just mocked it up...and ran the wires to the tail light. I put the negitive (black) wire from the camera to the negetive wire of the reverse light and put the positive (red) wire to the positive (green) wire on the reverse light, I then ran the RCA wire to the reverse camera in RCA and tried it out and nothing....it is supposed to switch automatically when you put it in reverse.

So then I decided to check to see if the camera was working by putting the RCA from the camera to the Video in RCA on the stereo and and it worked when I put it in reverse :dunno: . I didnt change the ground or Power wires.

Can anyone help me with figuring out what I am doing wrong....cant be that hard....there are only three wires total....:mad2:

LeoVampire
05-08-2011, 05:54 PM
According to what I just read there is a specific input in the back of the head unit for the camera.

And I can see it as being a video in seeing that is what the camera would be hooked up to. Chances are when it is putting out a video it would cause the screen to automatically switch to it.

Although my Kenwood head unit wants a hook up to the reverse lights as well so maybe there is a wire on the back of yours for that hook up as well?

SID210SA
05-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Thank you for the help....this is what I found after looking more closely....

There is a brown wire from the stereo that reads (B+) 12V rear camera switch.

I know this is a positive wire...I guess my question now would be, what does this need to be connected to.....does this go to the main power wire for the stereo connection?

justbob
05-08-2011, 07:10 PM
That switched wire you found is the one that you should hook to your reverse light POS. Run your ground from camera to chassis, plug in the RCA, and finally just run your POS from camera to any 12V source.

justbob
05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
BTW, I just located the reverse light wire right between the dash and the rocker (before its long journey to the back) and tapped in there. IIRC the wire is black/pink. I could check if you need. Regaurdless, it's stays the same color from reverse light to dash.

SID210SA
05-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Cool....let me try that....Thanks...

Mike

SID210SA
05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Mine is green....I am working on my burb..

justbob
05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Gotcha. I have alldata accounts on a '98 and an '03 Silverado if that helps? let me know.

SID210SA
05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Should be the same wiring, shouldnt it....mine is an 01

justbob
05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I'll check it. Give me a minute.

justbob
05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Looks to be the same. PM sent.

SID210SA
05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Got it....thanks....that should do the trick...

Thanks Bob....your a life saver....been racking for a while on this. I havent installed anything audio since I was in H.S. and never anything video...lol

Who would have thought three wires (really just one) would stump me so badly.

Mike

justbob
05-08-2011, 07:49 PM
LOL That was my case a couple months ago! Good luck Bud.