PDA

View Full Version : In CA Lifeguards Paid $200K!

sailsmen
05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
The Orange County Register - High pay and benefits for lifeguards in Newport Beach is the latest example of frustrating levels of compensation for public employees. More than half the city’s full-time lifeguards are paid a salary of over $100,000 and all but one of them collect more than $100,000 in total compensation including benefits.

When thinking about career options with high salaries, lifeguarding is probably not one of the first jobs to come to mind. But it apparently should. In one of Orange County’s most desirable beach destinations, Newport Beach, lifeguards are compensated all too well; especially compared with the county annual median household income of $71,735.

It might be time for a career change.

According to a city report on lifeguard pay for the calendar year 2010, of the 14 full-time lifeguards, 13 collected more than $120,000 in total compensation; one lifeguard collected $98,160.65. More than half the lifeguards collected more than $150,000 for 2010 with the two highest-paid collecting $211,451 and $203,481 in total compensation respectively. Even excluding benefits like health care and pension, more than half the lifeguards receive a total salary, including overtime pay, exceeding $100,000. And they also receive an annual allowance of $400 for “Sun Protection.” Many work four days a week, 10 hours a day.

Lifeguarding in Newport Beach is a pretty good gig, if you can get it.

There is no denying that lifeguards protect swimmers and play a vital safety role in protecting numerous beachgoers every year. In 2010, the total number of rescues by Newport Beach lifeguards was 2,190. Even so, these salaries seem too generous, and the compensation levels don’t appear fiscally sane.

Currently, Newport Beach has 13 full-time active lifeguards and hires about 210 seasonal and part-time “tower” guards, Newport Beach City Manager David Kiff told us. Lifeguards are organized as part of the fire department. The Lifeguard Management Association represents the 13 full-time, salaried employees in collective bargaining with the city whereas the Association of Newport Beach Ocean Lifeguards represents the part-time, seasonal lifeguards.

In a phone conversation, Brent Jacobsen, president of the Lifeguard Management Association, defended the lifeguard pay in Newport Beach: “We have negotiated very fair and very reasonable salaries in conjunction with comparable positions and other cities up and down the coast.” “Lifeguard salaries here are well within the norm of other city employees.” And therein is the problem: Local public worker pay has become all too generous and out of line with private sector equivalents.

On face, the compensation packages for these guards are staggering. But take into consideration the retirement benefits being paid to currently retired lifeguards and lifeguards who will retire at these pay levels in the future and the problem is further compounded. Lifeguards are able to retire with 90 percent of their salary, after only 30 years of work at as early as the age of 50.

A YouTube video created by Americans for Prosperity-California, an education advocacy organization concerned with limited government, lower taxation, and free-market principles, outlined how in Newport Beach a “recently retired lifeguard, age 51, receives a government retirement of over $108,000 per year for the rest of his life.” The video also notes that “He will make well over $3 million in retirement if he lives to age 80!”

The Newport Beach City Council – as well as other beach cities – ought to take a hard look at reforming the pay scale and compensation for lifeguards as well as the way in which the department is organized. This is a reasonable starting point for applying some fiscal sanity to public employee compensation.

sailsmen
05-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I love bay watch! :D

Spectragod
05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
While that salary sounds high, keep in mind the cost of living in that area compared to Arkansas, Indiana, Ohio etc.

Not only that, but the cost of fuel, food, housing, insurance puts it a little more in check.

As far as public employees making what ever they are paid, as long as they do their job, and the local economy supports that amount of pay, I don't see a real issue. Of course, I am biased, working for a Gov't entity and all........

Mr. Man
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
While that salary sounds high, keep in mind the cost of living in that area compared to Arkansas, Indiana, Ohio etc.

Not only that, but the cost of fuel, food, housing, insurance puts it a little more in check.

As far as public employees making what ever they are paid, as long as they do their job, and the local economy supports that amount of pay, I don't see a real issue. Of course, I am biased, working for a Govt entity and all........
Your also forgetting the Great White shark infested waters off Cali too.

Vortex
05-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Nowhere in the article do I see the annual salary of these lifeguards. Whenever somebody throws out the term "total compensation" you had better look at how that was calculated. Im sure they are cranking in all sorts of variables to come up with that figure. I will also go out on a limb and bet these lifeguards, being part of the fire department, are EMTs. When you figure in overtime pay Im sure you get high salary numbers. Usually you will find in places where there is alot of overtime its because they do not have sufficient staff in the first place and overtime, though expensive, may in the short term be cheaper than hiring extra staff. Point is there is probably a totally different side of the story out there.

babbage
05-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Hmm, 100K to stare at half dressed women all day - that's a good gig.

I am a certified professional rescuer and certified lifeguard for American Red Cross/BSA. I'm not employed as a lifeguard however. Around here Guards make about $10/hr. Part time only - usually it's kids that are 16-18 year olds.

sailsmen
05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Nowhere in the article do I see the annual salary of these lifeguards. Whenever somebody throws out the term "total compensation" you had better look at how that was calculated. Im sure they are cranking in all sorts of variables to come up with that figure. I will also go out on a limb and bet these lifeguards, being part of the fire department, are EMTs. When you figure in overtime pay Im sure you get high salary numbers. Usually you will find in places where there is alot of overtime its because they do not have sufficient staff in the first place and overtime, though expensive, may in the short term be cheaper than hiring extra staff. Point is there is probably a totally different side of the story out there.

Read it again " More than half the city’s full-time lifeguards are paid a salary of over $100,000"

CA Pension shortfall is $500,000,000,000.

In HS my Friends were Life Guards at the City Beach for min wage, times have changed and yes they were all Red Cross Certified.

One of the Girls could have walked on the set of Bay Watch.

This is proof Gov't never has enough money, never, never, never.

rayjay
05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I would not be a bit surprised if these full timers are also supervisors for the part timers, doing all the administrative stuff that goes with that. There is more to this than the article is saying. As far as the cost of living there? Just watch 15 minutes of the house wife show from Orange County. $100K a year is nothing. I wonder what a full time fireman or police officer makes there. :cool4:

Pension short falls are not the employees doing, its the crook politicians that spend it for everything other than pensions. Thank God NYS has laws to prevent that and a elected official to see to it that the crooks can not touch it. The NYS pension system is very healthy, well invested in diverse areas and growing. New hires now have to pay in for their whole career and can not retire until age 62. That includes cops and firemen. Its already hurting my former agencies ability to recruit qualified candidates. As I posted on another site, the day is not too far off when Joe Public calls 911 and is put on a waiting list for service due to personnel shortages. My former station is already running 20% short on people... You want government employees cut, learn to live with the consequences.

Vortex
05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Read it again " More than half the city’s full-time lifeguards are paid a salary of over $100,000"

CA Pension shortfall is $500,000,000,000.

In HS my Friends were Life Guards at the City Beach for min wage, times have changed and yes they were all Red Cross Certified.

One of the Girls could have walked on the set of Bay Watch.

This is proof Gov't never has enough money, never, never, never.

You are correct about the first paragraph but in the fourth paragraph it says the 100k includes overtime. Do I think its alot for a lifeguard? Sure. Is it too much for the area? I dont live in Newport Beach but I have been there and do remember the high dollar car dealerships and yacht clubs. Im assuming the voters there approved of their city workers civil service program sometime in the past. If they dont like it now they can always change it I guess. I just get tired of all the bi---ing about government employees and union workers. Sometimes it just sounds to me like sour grapes.

dohc324ci
05-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Wtf sour grapes 19 billion in the hole from a state that's the eighth largest economy in the world at 13 trillion in 08. Huh is unfunded liabilities sour grapes. No it's reality. Take that lifeguard, sheriff, police, fire, city administrator etc etc and do the math. They will retire with their salary in tact for the rest of their lives. Go to the city page and download the budget for that cities salary outlays then you will see what the citizens of this state are burdened with. Look up unfunded liabilities...

rayjay
05-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Wtf sour grapes 19 billion in the hole from a state that's the eighth largest economy in the world at 13 trillion in 08. Huh is unfunded liabilities sour grapes. No it's reality. Take that lifeguard, sheriff, police, fire, city administrator etc etc and do the math. They will retire with their salary in tact for the rest of their lives. Go to the city page and download the budget for that cities salary outlays then you will see what the citizens of this state are burdened with. Look up unfunded liabilities...

And you still don't pay as much tax as NYSers do. If your civil service employees get 100% pensions, then I worked in the wrong state for all those years. :mad2:BTW, I pay those taxes too.