PDA

View Full Version : Tablet computers???

rayjay
05-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Can someone tell me about these please? I am lookiing at this one: Archos 101 10.1" Tablet Computer - Cortex A8 1 GHz - 501590

The price at buy.com is $274, shipped. Way cheaper than others like the IPad. I'm just not really up to date on such things. I believe it will do what I want, mainly web surfing & email. How important is a GPS function? This unit doesn't have it, but can be linked to a phone that does supposedly. I'm not a phone person, hate em, only have a prepaid for emergencies and travel. I'll still have my PC for most things, but this seems to be really handy. I have a secure in house wireless network that was setup by a IT guy who is a family member.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

fastblackmerc
05-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Can someone tell me about these please? I am lookiing at this one: Archos 101 10.1" Tablet Computer - Cortex A8 1 GHz - 501590

The price at buy.com is $274, shipped. Way cheaper than others like the IPad. I'm just not really up to date on such things. I believe it will do what I want, mainly web surfing & email. How important is a GPS function? This unit doesn't have it, but can be linked to a phone that does supposedly. I'm not a phone person, hate em, only have a prepaid for emergencies and travel. I'll still have my PC for most things, but this seems to be really handy. I have a secure in house wireless network that was setup by a IT guy who is a family member.

I'm looking to get a tablet also.

A few things I've found doing research:

You want to get a "capacitive" screen not a "resistive" screen. The "capacitive" screen uses the slight electrical charge that your body has to move operate the screen (clicking, typing, etc).

A resistive touchscreen panel is composed of several layers, the most important of which are two thin, electrically conductive layers separated by a narrow gap. When an object, such as a finger, presses down on a point on the panel's outer surface the two metallic layers become connected at that point: the panel then behaves as a pair of voltage dividers with connected outputs. This causes a change in the electrical current, which is registered as a touch event that operates the screen (clicking, typing, etc).

Capacitive screens are more expensive than the resistive screens.

Almost all tablets have wireless built in, so you should be able to connect to your in-home network or hot-spots such as McDonald's, Starbucks etc.

GPS function? Will you use it? If so you'll have to upgrade your current cell phone to one that the tablet can link to. So you'd be using the cell phone sort of like the router in your home network. This will use alot of data so you'd need a cell phone plan with unlimited data. Example, I have a Verizon Droid2 (unlimited data), that I can use as a hot-spot. I would start the hot-spot app on the phone and link the tablet to it.

Try to get the fastest processor and most memory in the tablet. Remember, bigger is better.

Can the tablet support either a micro SD flash card or a regular SD card to increase the memory of the tablet or have room for movies or other apps?

You want the tablet to either have the latest version of Android, currently at version 2.2, or can be upgrade to the latest version of Android.

If you plan on watching movies or listening music on the tablet make sure the tablet supports the format of you movies and music.

If I think of more stuff I'll post it here.

SC Cheesehead
05-12-2011, 08:40 AM

I dunno, I guess if you never go anywhere, it's prolly NBD... :dunno:

LordVader
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I have a cheap Chinese knock-off (called an A-Pad). It does what you described and a little more. I know it doesn't do GPS, but it does email, music, video, built in camera and I got it off ebay just to play with for a little over a hundred bucks. I just bought my wife a better one off QVC (Pandigital) for Mother's day and I definitely like hers better, just something about the feel and what it came loaded with is better. But the price is still less than yours at $175. She loves hers.

Mercguy04
05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Brian,
If you are looking for something that is expandable, (and you will) try an iPad.
Either in 16 or 32 GB's Trust me once you learn how to use it, it becomes part of
your life. There are two verisions of this, the original iPad and the iPad2 which was
just released. It is also available in Just WIFI or WIFI and AT&T compatible.
Of course if you choose the AT&T verision you will be locked into a 2 year contract.
There are over 300,000 apps. If you go to the Apple app store you can look and see
if any of them suit you. I'm sure there are a few that you will like.
The Adriod2 is a nice unit as well.
Just remember if you use the WIFI in the hot spots they are not encrypted links, so any third party can see what you are uplinking or downlinking.
As to GPS Both have that capability. You can store directions or real time data input.
Choose what is best for your desires. If you like gaming, both have these apps.
Hope this helps. You get what you pay for, partictularly in these devices.
Good Luck.
Russell

PonyUP
05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Ray, I have a worked assigned IPad, and it's great, but if you aren't familiar with Apple Products, it will be like reading Chinese in a lot of ways. That having been said, there are a bevy of option available from Bestbuy that range from $300-$800 and operate on the droid operating system which is very Microsoft friendly and would probably be the easiest for you to adapt.

I would encourage springing fror a name brand as you are a novice it sounds like and that will give you more support. I also encourage larger memory, while you may not need it now, you may find a need for it in the near future and it's one of those things that it is better to have and not need it than need it and not have.

Tablets will work great for what you are describing, in fact, I am posting this from my IPad now

rayjay
05-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I believe the one I'm looking at does have the ability to use SD cards, is Andriod 2.2 and has a site like this where people help you learn it. As for the GPS, I have a seperate one, a Tom-Tom, that works well for my needs. If it is not intregal to the functions of the tablet computer then I don't need it. We needed the GPS function at work for our programs to operate. This will be for pleasure only as I'm retired and 100% physically disabled at this time. I won't be returning to the work world this year or possibly ever again.
Thanks for doing my home work for me Jim. :beer: I owe you a few pops next time around. I guess between the tablet unit and my PC I'll be able to do everything I need and not be tied down to one room in the house. I'm not a laptop person either. Just have never cared for them. They were forced on us at work, with no training, as soon as they became available. We were then treated like idiots for not knowing how to use them. Hence my aversion to them... Cellphones are a intrusion on my personal life and the bane of society. Call my home and leave a message if its that important, or better yet do the old fashioned thing and come see me. Can't tell you how many I took from peoples hands at work and threatened to smash. :mad2: Obstructing governmental administration.

Ponyup, thanks, I was originally considering a Ipad, but you are right it would be greek to me as I've only used Windows stuff.

JoeBoomz
05-12-2011, 12:55 PM
If you're looking for the simplest to use, my vote is also for iPad. The GPS in it is terrific for showing you where to go and there is a lot of options for apps.

My beefs would be the price (but 1st gen iPads are cheaper now), and the fact that you need to use iTunes to load pictures or movies onto it (I would prefer a `Droid for the more advanced stuff). Again, it's the simplest-to-use option.

fastblackmerc
05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
You should also look into a netbook computer. They usually have a 10" screen, wireless, dual processor, 2GB RAM and a 250Gb harddrive. They run Windows XP or Windows 7.

rayjay
05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
You should also look into a netbook computer. They usually have a 10" screen, wireless, dual processor, 2GB RAM and a 250Gb harddrive. They run Windows XP or Windows 7.

I went back and looked at this again, armed with your help. It has everything you mentioned. 8GB memory for $274 unit, $343 for the unit with 16GB. The RAM is 1GB I believe. Both have expandable memory with mini SD cards and higher volume mini SD cards Problem is most of this is greek to me. I'm not much advanced from being a computard.

Is it worth the extra $70 for the memory enhancement? As I said it will be for fun only. Other than portability I'm happy as a clam with my 6 year old Dell PC. That is provided my 13 yr old doesn't mess it up. She destroyed a laptop I bought her, so bad the family IT guy I mentioned can't fix it. and NO it is not being replaced.

fastblackmerc
05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I went back and looked at this again, armed with your help. It has everything you mentioned. 8GB memory for $274 unit, $343 for the unit with 16GB. The RAM is 1GB I believe. Both have expandable memory with mini SD cards and higher volume mini SD cards Problem is most of this is greek to me. I'm not much advanced from being a computard.

Is it worth the extra $70 for the memory enhancement? As I said it will be for fun only. Other than portability I'm happy as a clam with my 6 year old Dell PC. That is provided my 13 yr old doesn't mess it up. She destroyed a laptop I bought her, so bad the family IT guy I mentioned can't fix it. and NO it is not being replaced.

The RAM is what is on the system, that is where the operating system is stored. The additional memory is for extra storage.

If so a 16GB mini SD card with an adapter is $27.99 at Tigerdirect.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4347

You could also find them at a decent price at amazon.com, other computer discounters, eBay, etc.

A 16GB card is the best deal for the money right now, as it's less than $1.00 / GB. The 8GB cards are even cheaper.

Going to a 32Gb SD card and your right around $2.00 / GB.

BTW... how did your 13year old destroy a laptop? I bet it can be fixed unless it's physical damage......

rayjay
05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
The RAM is what is on the system, that is where the operating system is stored. The additional memory is for extra storage.

If so a 16GB mini SD card with an adapter is $27.99 at Tigerdirect.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4347

You could also find them at a decent price at amazon.com, other computer discounters, eBay, etc.

A 16GB card is the best deal for the money right now, as it's less than $1.00 / GB. The 8GB cards are even cheaper.

Going to a 32Gb SD card and your right around $2.00 / GB.

BTW... how did your 13year old destroy a laptop? I bet it can be fixed unless it's physical damage......

Ok, so if I get this right I should just buy the 8GB unit and buy the SD cards to expand my memory if needed? I've used hardly any memory on my Dell which was a fairly costly machine when I bought it.

The kid loaded so much crap onto it that it won't even start up now. She down loaded everything under the sun and had it all starting up when she booted the machine. Our cousin gave up after an hour trying to straighten it out and this sort of thing is part of his job and what he is degreed in. :mad2: Luckily it wasn't a $1500 machine or I'd be really PO'd.

fastblackmerc
05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Ok, so if I get this right I should just buy the 8GB unit and buy the SD cards to expand my memory if needed? I've used hardly any memory on my Dell which was a fairly costly machine when I bought it.

The kid loaded so much crap onto it that it won't even start up now. She down loaded everything under the sun and had it all starting up when she booted the machine. Our cousin gave up after an hour trying to straighten it out and this sort of thing is part of his job and what he is degreed in. :mad2: Luckily it wasn't a $1500 machine or I'd be really PO'd.

Yes, that is correct, just buy SD cards if you need more memory.

If you want send me the laptop and I'll see if I can fix it.

69marquis conv
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I'll have to suggest an iPad if you're looking for a tablet. I was a diehard PC guy, I've built them from parts, worked on them, and used them since MS DOS was the only OS. Last year I finally got sick of the Microsoft instability and bs and bought an iMac, later I mixed in an iPod, and now I use an iPad daily. I'm sure the droid platform is just fine for some, but I now believe the old saying: once you go Mac, you never go back.

rayjay
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, that is correct, just buy SD cards if you need more memory.

If you want send me the laptop and I'll see if I can fix it.

Thanks for the info and the offer. Right now I'm letting her stew over having to share my PC.

69marquis, I now the IPad is great, but thats just a exspensive toy for me.

I'm gonna sleep on the whole thing and make a decision tomorrow.

rayjay
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
The owner of my favorite toy store called and said he has AR15s back in stock at a great price... NOW I have a real issue... :confused:

Mercguy04
05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Are they full auto?

fastblackmerc
05-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Are they full auto?

Now that would be illegal...............

rayjay
05-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Good God man, not in the Peoples Republic Of New York. It was so much of a hassle here that our agency M4s were not select fire.

Its a basic AR15 milspec, but in NY you can not have a collapsible stock, so its a 6 position thats pinned. I hate it. I don't like useless items. So it is still at the shop while I mull it over. I have to figure out what gets sold too. :( Agreement I have with the Mrs. to keep the herd manageable.

Forgot to mention I ordered the tablet computer yesterday. I have lots of time to learn how to use it.

Ladyhawke
05-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Good God man, not in the Peoples Republic Of New York. It was so much of a hassle here that our agency M4s were not select fire.

Its a basic AR15 milspec, but in NY you can not have a collapsible stock, so its a 6 position thats pinned. I hate it. I don't like useless items. So it is still at the shop while I mull it over. I have to figure out what gets sold too. :(

Forgot to mention I ordered the tablet computer yesterday. I have lots of time to learn how to use it.

Call me before you sell anything.

rayjay
05-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Call me before you sell anything.

If I do sell something, it will probably be a CZ. Just not sure which one. :bigcry:

Ladyhawke
05-14-2011, 10:34 AM
If I do sell something, it will probably be a CZ. Just not sure which one. :bigcry:

What year & caliber?

fastblackmerc
05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Just picked up one of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7330044&CatId=6845

rayjay
05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Just picked up one of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7330044&CatId=6845

Nice, I'm still trying to learn mine. :rolleyes:

CBT
05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Nice, I'm still trying to learn mine. :rolleyes:

That's what Joe said.

rayjay
05-20-2011, 07:54 PM
That's what Joe said.

Ya,but Joe is not a neopyhte at computers.